Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volt meter  (Read 796 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Volt meter
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:17:21 PM »

Got a chance to run the bike around the block a couple times Monday and walking through the garage today I noticed that the volt meter is still reading voltage.... I will admit I am getting old but I sure don't remember showing voltage once the bike is shut down, switch off. Has it always been that way or should it go back to 0 as I think I remember it being?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Volt meter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:36:14 AM »

The needle should all park with the switch off.  Can't know for sure without checking for extra draw at the battery of course or pulling fairing and measuring at the gauge but my gut would tell me it's more likely an issue with the needle sticking than voltage on at the gauge when it shouldn't be.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »

The needle should all park with the switch off.  Can't know for sure without checking for extra draw at the battery of course or pulling fairing and measuring at the gauge but my gut would tell me it's more likely an issue with the needle sticking than voltage on at the gauge when it shouldn't be.

Thanks Don.
You answered 2 questions for me. First answer is that I am not crazy, or at least no more than normal and 2nd a thought process to check. Thinking I will go the route of just pulling the battery cable and if the needle is stuck it should stay stuck. If there is truly an issue it should then drop to the 0 or park area.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »

If the volt
 gauge continues to draw when the bike is shut off you’re sure to find a dead battery.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »

You are correct once again I your gut feeling. Thought before I started taking things apart I would perform the peck test. So very carefully walked up to the bike and pecked on the gauge a couple times and the needle fell to zero. Thank you Don

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:23:38 PM »

You are correct once again I your gut feeling. Thought before I started taking things apart I would perform the peck test. So very carefully walked up to the bike and pecked on the gauge a couple times and the needle fell to zero. Thank you Don

👍👍😇

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.