Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cleaning black engine parts on Krypto  (Read 8451 times)

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
Re: Cleaning black engine parts on Krypto
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 06:15:49 PM »

I regularly use this on my bikes: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4616

Spray on, spread with one side of microfiber towel, wipe off with other side.  Great for removing bugs and touching up between washes.  Worked great on the gloss black engine parts today on the krypto, these parts should be treated like paint.

I would say that you should never use a non-microfiber towel.  I cringe when I got to rally's and I see someone using water and a regular towel to wipe a bike down.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

I just used Armor All on gloss black motors, this was my V65 after 21 years. Don't pick on my temp fuel line replacement!

Craig

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

Most of the suggestions above are for black engines, ie: textured parts. The black in question is the powdercoat on the Rocker boxes, side cam chest cover etc. These are totally different than the black (or silver, early & gray, later CVO engines cases, cyl heads) The powdercoat is very hard, same stuff as the frame is coated with. Clean and treat if like the frame, do not use harsh stuff like abrasives, chemicals etc. I would personally stay away from straight S100, althought diluted would probably be O.K. Plain ole car wash soap & water with micro fiber sponge. Be careful with reg paint detailers on engine parts, some of them were never designed for high heat cycles the engine will force on them and they will fail and could fail chemically damage the surface (extreme situation, but possible). Contact Meguairs or Mothers and ask them what they recommend on powder coat if you need to brighten it vs opionions.

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 03:49:29 AM »

The powder coat is very soft and scratches very easily.

ScreaminEagleRoadGlide

• Vendor
  • 2009 CVO Road Glide (FLTRSE3)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2011 Tri Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7
    • Hawg Wash Motorcycle Detailing
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:02 PM »

Finding out that keeping the black engine parts on the Krypto a bit tougher than chrome.  Anyone found anything good out there.  After a good cleaning the parts look a bit cloudy to me, don't have that shine luster if you will.  Let's Roll

I know people who are satisfied with S100 products available through our local Harley dealers, but I use Pig Spit exclusively for the engine black. I'm a bike detailer and this is the best product I've found. Perfect results every time!
Hawg Wash Motorcycle Detailing
954-540-9874
www.hawgwashdetailing.com
South Florida's finest motorcycle detailing service!
We come to you 7 days a week in Miami-Dade, Broward & Palm Beach
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 26 queries.