Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: McCain visits Sturgis  (Read 3847 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
McCain visits Sturgis
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »

Noticed in the news this morning that McCain campaigned at Buffalo Chip yesterday.  Wonder if he was passing out beads......
 :nixweiss:

http://www.buffalochip.com/EVENTS/SenatorJohnMcCain/tabid/322/Default.aspx

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: McCain visits Sturgis
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »

From Foxnews
August 4th, 2008 11:13 PM Eastern
McCain rallies bikers at Sturgis
by Mosheh Oinounou

STURGIS, SD — An extremely enthusiastic Sen. McCain stressed energy independence during brief remarks before more than 20,000 bikers Monday night at the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

“This is my first time here but I recognize that sound. It’s the sound of freedom and thank you for it,” McCain said as hundreds of bikers revved their engines at a Salute to Veterans rally on the Buffalo Chip campgrounds. “I thank you all very much for that unique Sturgis welcome.”

A week-long event, which is celebrating its 68th anniversary, Sturgis attracts more than 500,000 bikers from around the world nearly doubling the population of South Dakota.

The McCain campaign sees a political opportunity out of Obama’s Berlin speech–to paint him as an out-of-touch celebrity–and today was no different.

“As you may know, not long ago a couple hundred thousand Berliners made a lot of noise for my opponent. I will take the roar of 50,000 Harleys any day, any day my friends,” McCain exclaimed to roars from the crowd.

He continued to hammer home his energy message and again attacked Obama for his tire inflation recommendation.

“We’re not going to pay $4 dollars a gallon for gas (when I am president) because we are going to drill offshore and we are going to drill now. We are doing to drill here and we are going to drill now,” he said. “My opponent doesn’t want to drill, he doesn’t want nuclear power. He wants to inflate your tires.”

It should be noted though that a few close McCain allies including Govs. Charlie Crist and Arnold Schwarzenegger as well as the U.S. Department of Energy all recommend that Americans properly inflate their tires as a cost saving measure but Republicans see an opportunity mock Obama for the remark and are taking advantage.

“Is there anyone that is tired of paying…four dollars a gallon for gasoline. Is there anyone that is sick and tired of it? Is there anyone that wants to become energy independent?” McCain said. “Well I am telling you right now we are sending 700 billion dollars (abroad) and your Congress just went on vacation for five weeks. Tell them to come back and get to work.”

McCain was joined on stage by his daughter Meghan and wife Cindy, who introduced her husband as the “only man that can keep us free.”

McCain also joked that he urged Cindy to participate in a campground beauty pageant that was taking place during his speech.

“I was looking at the Sturgis schedule and noticed that you have a beauty pageant and so I encouraged Cindy to compete. I told her, with a little luck, she could be the only woman ever to serve as both the First Lady and Miss Buffalo Chip,” he said to cheers.

He closed by calling on the bikers to ride to the polls in less than 100 days.

“I know it will be a good sign on election day if there are a lot of bikes parked outside the polling places of America. So don’t let November Fourth find you on the open road, I’m counting on you to show up and I’m asking for your vote,” McCain added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:47:24 AM »

“I know it will be a good sign on election day if there are a lot of bikes parked outside the polling places of America. So don’t let November Fourth find you on the open road, I’m counting on you to show up and I’m asking for your vote,” McCain added

He has my vote!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »

First time a presidential candidate ever visit Sturgis? Pretty neat in my book.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:41:54 PM »

First time a presidential candidate ever visit Sturgis? Pretty neat in my book.

McCain knows the right audience!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:56:09 PM »

He was drawn to the celebration at the Chip for the Veterans Celebration:

From the Chip site:
U.S. Senator, John McCain will participate in the Buffalo Chip’s annual Tribute to American Veterans and Active Duty Servicemen on Monday, Aug. 4

John McCain's capture and imprisonment began on October 26, 1967. His A-4E Skyhawk was shot down by a missile over Hanoi. He broke both arms and a leg, and nearly drowned when he parachuted into Truc Bach Lake in Hanoi.

He was attacked by a North Vietnamese mob that crushed his shoulder with a rifle butt, and bayoneted him.  Badly wounded, the North Vietnamese refused medical treatment, and continued beating him.

When the North Vietnamese discovered his father was an admiral they give him medical care.

After receiving marginal care he was taken to a different camp on the outskirts of Hanoi where he spent two years in solitary confinement.

After his father was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, McCain was offered early release. The North Vietnamese had hoped to use the release for propaganda.  But McCain turned down the offer and said he would only accept if every man taken before him was released as well.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:57:45 PM by Rjob749 »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »

Got to admire the man for taking advantage of a great political opportunity.

I also greatly admire the man for what he did in Vietnam.

But, does anyone really think, no matter who is elected, that our freedom is at stake in this election?  Those pinko, commie s...the ACLU...would be all over trying to take away our freedom, no matter the platform.  Don't forget, they even defended the KKK...

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »

I say we ship all of the ACLU down to G. Bay Cuba and let them spend some time with our "friends" there.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »

McCain was smart to speak at Sturgis.  Would be a good idea for him to show up at NASCAR race or 2, also.  He will speak to some crowds with an anticipated friendly reception and he has already spoke at some places where Repubs usually do not go.  Unlike his opponent so far.....

Would be very funny to see Obama speak at Sturgis, but as long as he had a teleprompter spinning in front of him figure the media would have raved about how eloquently he addressed the unruly bikers & all.  Maybe he could even check the air in a few tires, & teach those poor miscreants (j/k) about the importance of correct tire pressure in being green.   :huepfenlol2:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

elvislee

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »

From Foxnews
August 4th, 2008 11:13 PM Eastern
McCain rallies bikers at Sturgis
by Mosheh Oinounou

STURGIS, SD — An extremely enthusiastic Sen. McCain stressed energy independence during brief remarks before more than 20,000 bikers Monday night at the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

“This is my first time here but I recognize that sound. It’s the sound of freedom and thank you for it,” McCain said as hundreds of bikers revved their engines at a Salute to Veterans rally on the Buffalo Chip campgrounds. “I thank you all very much for that unique Sturgis welcome.”

A week-long event, which is celebrating its 68th anniversary, Sturgis attracts more than 500,000 bikers from around the world nearly doubling the population of South Dakota.

The McCain campaign sees a political opportunity out of Obama’s Berlin speech–to paint him as an out-of-touch celebrity–and today was no different.

“As you may know, not long ago a couple hundred thousand Berliners made a lot of noise for my opponent. I will take the roar of 50,000 Harleys any day, any day my friends,” McCain exclaimed to roars from the crowd.

He continued to hammer home his energy message and again attacked Obama for his tire inflation recommendation.

“We’re not going to pay $4 dollars a gallon for gas (when I am president) because we are going to drill offshore and we are going to drill now. We are doing to drill here and we are going to drill now,” he said. “My opponent doesn’t want to drill, he doesn’t want nuclear power. He wants to inflate your tires.”

It should be noted though that a few close McCain allies including Govs. Charlie Crist and Arnold Schwarzenegger as well as the U.S. Department of Energy all recommend that Americans properly inflate their tires as a cost saving measure but Republicans see an opportunity mock Obama for the remark and are taking advantage.

“Is there anyone that is tired of paying…four dollars a gallon for gasoline. Is there anyone that is sick and tired of it? Is there anyone that wants to become energy independent?” McCain said. “Well I am telling you right now we are sending 700 billion dollars (abroad) and your Congress just went on vacation for five weeks. Tell them to come back and get to work.”

McCain was joined on stage by his daughter Meghan and wife Cindy, who introduced her husband as the “only man that can keep us free.”

McCain also joked that he urged Cindy to participate in a campground beauty pageant that was taking place during his speech.

“I was looking at the Sturgis schedule and noticed that you have a beauty pageant and so I encouraged Cindy to compete. I told her, with a little luck, she could be the only woman ever to serve as both the First Lady and Miss Buffalo Chip,” he said to cheers.

He closed by calling on the bikers to ride to the polls in less than 100 days.

“I know it will be a good sign on election day if there are a lot of bikes parked outside the polling places of America. So don’t let November Fourth find you on the open road, I’m counting on you to show up and I’m asking for your vote,” McCain added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry Senator; I'll be there on my 4 pullin the lever for ya  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.