Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Stock mufflers with TD's  (Read 2466 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Stock mufflers with TD's
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »

Can i put back on my stock slipons with my V&H TD's. What if any would be the downside of doing this... Iam running the Thunder-Max Auto tune system... Would it hurt the motor? I have the V&H ovals on rite now but there quite loud so everyone says.....
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Stock mufflers with TD's
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »

Can i put back on my stock slipons with my V&H TD's. What if any would be the downside of doing this... Iam running the Thunder-Max Auto tune system... Would it hurt the motor? I have the V&H ovals on rite now but there quite loud so everyone says.....

You can new. Definitely won't hurt anything. As a matter of fact, I'd be real curious to know what you think about that setup. With the TMAT, you won't have to do anything but change the pipes. Then if you don't like the sound or performance, add different mufflers. The TMAT will make this process easy for you. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:08:02 PM »

You can new. Definitely won't hurt anything. As a matter of fact, I'd be real curious to know what you think about that setup. With the TMAT, you won't have to do anything but change the pipes. Then if you don't like the sound or performance, add different mufflers. The TMAT will make this process easy for you. Hoist! 8)
Howie,
Not to disagree with you, but I do have a question. If the TMAT was able to create a map from a stock configuration to any mods done why would Zippers supply a map close to the configuration that you have on your bike when they sell it to you?

Addendum: Not to say this will not work, but could there be any harm done to the motor w/this drastic of change. From what I understand about the TMAT it keeps tuning continuously until it gets it dead on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:15:11 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:55 PM »

Howie,
Not to disagree with you, but I do have a question. If the TMAT was able to create a map from a stock configuration to any mods done why would Zippers supply a map close to the configuration that you have on your bike when they sell it to you?

Addendum: Not to say this will not work, but could there be any harm done to the motor w/this drastic of change. From what I understand about the TMAT it keeps tuning continuously until it gets it dead on.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d, he has the TMAT setup for V&H Ovals. They set it up for the closest configuration to what you're running. I guess the closer you start with, the better/easier it self adjusts. If he just changes mufflers, the TMAT should adjust for this. Isn't that what it's for? Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »

d00d, he has the TMAT setup for V&H Ovals. They set it up for the closest configuration to what you're running. I guess the closer you start with, the better/easier it self adjusts. If he just changes mufflers, the TMAT should adjust for this. Isn't that what it's for? Hoist! 8)
My concern was w/the much more restrictive "stock" mufflers that he's going back to. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »

My concern was w/the much more restrictive "stock" mufflers that he's going back to. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

He might run a little rich while the TMAT is readjusting, but it should settle in. Better a little rich, than lean. Hoist! 8)

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »

I am going to try the stock mufflers with VH TD, SERT, and Doherty PP.  Looking to help with the heat, a little more sound.   Not sure if there will be any more sound. Like the looks of the mufflers. Added performance, if it happens, will be a plus.  Spoke with the mechanic about what I wanted to do, he seemed positive about trying it.

Probably have it to the shop to have the SERT put on and tuned by the end of the week.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »

I don't have the stock mufflers on my V&H duals, but I'm not positive that both the stock mufflers flow the same.  I thought I read somewhere that the left muffler was more restrictive then the right, which if that's true, by eliminating the cross-over, would make the rear jug work harder then the front one as it's exhaust will be totally going through the more restrictive muffler.  Does anyone else know if that's a true statement about the mufflers?  (I don't think Chief's test of talking into each muffler and seeing how funny you sound, qualifies as a difinitive data collection point. :P)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »

I don't have the stock mufflers on my V&H duals, but I'm not positive that both the stock mufflers flow the same.  I thought I read somewhere that the left muffler was more restrictive then the right, which if that's true, by eliminating the cross-over, would make the rear jug work harder then the front one as it's exhaust will be totally going through the more restrictive muffler.  Does anyone else know if that's a true statement about the mufflers?  (I don't think Chief's test of talking into each muffler and seeing how funny you sound, qualifies as a difinitive data collection point. :P)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

The flow bench was down, so I had to improvise.  :nixweiss:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »

The flow bench was down, so I had to improvise.  :nixweiss:
My flow bench has been down a lot lately.  :-[  ;)

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »

I got the TD's on this afternoon. No SERT or hight flow yet. I do not know if there is a difference between the left and right mufflers.  There seems to be about the same amount of exhaust coming out of each one.  I can tell you that my experiment about the possible increase in sound, is a no go.  There might be a slight elevation of sound, but not much.  After just a few miles, there does not seem to be an appreciable difference in the way it runs.  It did seem to idle rougher initially.  After I rode it, the idle seemed to smooth out, like it was before, which was okay.

It is in the mid seventies here today, about the warmest that I have had it out.  The heat under the seat did seem to be less especially at idle.

john

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 08:45:39 PM »

I got the TD's on this afternoon. No SERT or hight flow yet. I do not know if there is a difference between the left and right mufflers.  There seems to be about the same amount of exhaust coming out of each one.  I can tell you that my experiment about the possible increase in sound, is a no go.  There might be a slight elevation of sound, but not much.  After just a few miles, there does not seem to be an appreciable difference in the way it runs.  It did seem to idle rougher initially.  After I rode it, the idle seemed to smooth out, like it was before, which was okay.

It is in the mid seventies here today, about the warmest that I have had it out.  The heat under the seat did seem to be less especially at idle.

john
Are you speaking of the Rinehart True Duals? If so there is a difference in the mufflers not in the interior of them but how they mount. I think TC could explain that for you (ain't that right 103tHunDer ;))

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »

Are you speaking of the Rinehart True Duals? If so there is a difference in the mufflers not in the interior of them but how they mount. I think TC could explain that for you (ain't that right 103tHunDer ;))

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

LOL, yeah, Terry can tell you all about the RH's.  But, looking at his previous posts, it looks like johnnymap is trying V&H true duals with stock muffs.  I don't know of any differences between the left and right sides of the stock mufflers, though. :nixweiss:  Pretty sure they're the same.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »

I put the V&H True Dual headers on using the stock UCSE mufflers.

john

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »

I ran the stock mufflers with the V&H true duals for a while on my bike. I will not make much difference in performance or sound. I like the looks of the stock mufflers, but they sound like crap with the cat inside of them. I switched to the SE Performance mufflers and they were too loud for me. I sent the stock mufflers to Steve at FullSac Performance. He removes the stock baffles and the cats and recores them with steel baffles. I have had them on for about two weeks now and I'm very happy with them, They have a good sound withiut being too loud. He's a good guy to deal with and does quality work. Check him out at www.fullsac.com

Hair of the Dog
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.