Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Report, update on 120R Motors in Australia....  (Read 14417 times)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Re: Report, update on 120R Motors in Australia....
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

Hey Steve maybe you could come up with a cost esitment and possibbly just have motors done and ready to ship to the customer. I think it would be a better option to buy one from you ready to run (with mods) than to buy from the moco then send to you and have the mods done. I am interested also if you deciede to come up with a package. I like the way you think and if I am spending the money I would gladly pay the extra for the piece of mind. You guys do great work and I love the way the tts map works in my 110. I would be thrilled to have a 120r from you with map! Please keep us informed?
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »

Insert Quote
Hey Steve maybe you could come up with a cost esitment and possibbly just have motors done and ready to ship to the customer. I think it would be a better option to buy one from you ready to run (with mods) than to buy from the moco then send to you and have the mods done. I am interested also if you deciede to come up with a package. I like the way you think and if I am spending the money I would gladly pay the extra for the piece of mind. You guys do great work and I love the way the tts map works in my 110. I would be thrilled to have a 120r from you with map! Please keep us informed?"

This is an interesting proposal and is a nice business venture for someone skilled enough to do what Steve has done to his 120R (hope Steve conciders doing this). I may be interested in one after tax season. My 110 is running, for the most part, strong but I would rather have one of these engines with a timken / welded / plugged / clean up / etc... so that I can put it in and forget about it.  Business 101 - new demand creates new markets niches.

The funny thing is, if Steve decide to offer this service and folks rave about their trouble free / high mileage 120R's, do you think the Moco will begin adding the timken and welded cranks from the factory? One could only wish........

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »

Just got finished with the heads from the 120 and found them to be pretty good, both heads came in at 93.1 cc. The guide and valve clearances was good but did not care for the valve seals they used so we just hand lapped the valves and replaced the seals. I have to cc the piston reliefs properly but a quick measurement on them and all the other measurements bring the motor in at 10.32:1. A little low for the cam but once I get the  real cc from the pistons I will know for sure. I will do what it takes to make it a true 10.5:1 before it gets reassembled.
Steve
buy chance were the pistons to barrel dimensions correct?
Thanks
paul
Ride safe

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

I can see about getting a friend of mine to do what you guys are asking. He has worked with me on mine, so I trust him to do it and do it right for you. He is the one that machined my case for the timken. I just do not have enough time already so I cannot do it. Hell, if I had the time it would be in the bike already but it is just sitting over on the side waiting to get put in now. I would have to look up the valve relief info as I'm out of town but I believe they came out to be 2.1 cc per piston. My final adjusted compression ratio is 10.532:1 with the squish at about .030".  I do not remember the exact numbers but I believe they were .028" rear and .030" front. As for the cylinder wall stuff I had some issues with what I knew versus what everyone told me. So in the end I just left it alone. The clearance was 0.0025" but depending on who you listen too those numbers changed. Do you check with the piston and cylinder just sitting on the bench or do you torque plate the cylinder and test. Then who's torque plate setup is right? I tried a few different setups with and without plate along with a few different plates. With each change the numbers changed, no plate, with plate and then change plate to another. So in the end I just looked at the range and decided it was good enough for me. I think the only way I would know for sure would be to ruin a good case by cutting the bottom out so I could reach up and measure the cylinder bolted in the cases. Then taking the cylinder out and seeing what it would take to get those same numbers out of the case. Did not have time for that now so just had to say good enough.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.