Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Ignition switch/module trouble???  (Read 5710 times)

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
Ignition switch/module trouble???
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »

Hey guys, I need some help with my '04 ignition switch/fork lock module. I took it apart to lubricate it and screwed up. It kinda came apart without my looking too closely. &*%&^^$#^* , to say the least! Anyway, I need some help with how the thing goes back together. Does ANYONE have any diagrams, videos or anything that will help with the reassembly?It's the black plastic housing that houses the actual fork lock mechanism and looks like probably some electrical contacts at the bottom cause there's three red wires going into the bottom of the unit.
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Ignition switch/module trouble???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »

Do you have the service manual?  It is very detailed and has electrical diagrams.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »

Click on the attached pdf.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »

Atta boy Jerry, always comes through in a pinch.  I was about to email the service manual to him but it is a huge file and has to be sent in 7 emails!

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »

The biggest caution is be careful when you put it back in the housing, that you don't pinch a wire by cramming it into the bike or you'll be visiting the service dept. don't ask me how I know....
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »

Thanks guys. The figure 8-63 is exactly what I have. What I need is pics of the inside of the Switch Housing. I took the darn thing apart and even though it looks simple in there, I can't seem to get it back like it should be. And, yep, y'all are right, I should have the manual. Thanks
Hey GRC, by chance, the next few pages of the manual don't show the inside of the switch housing do it????
Thanks again , Mike
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:07:29 PM by MGB »
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:27 PM »

PM me your email address and I can send it to you, like I said it'll take 7 emails but at least you'd have it electronically.

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »

Thanks. PM sent
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »

I was hoping you didn't really mean you took the entire switch apart, because there is no illustration in the manual for the internal bits and pieces.  Harley didn't intend for it to be repaired, just replaced if it failed.  I haven't pulled one completely apart myself, but I'll bet someone around here has.  One person I can envision doing so is Twolanerider.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »

Yep, that's what I did. It's their fault, they put screws on it!!!  :oops:
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:11:45 PM »

Twolanerider, huh? Maybe I'll bug him. I keep this up and I'll alienate everyone on this site. lol
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 11:33:28 PM »

Twolanerider, huh? Maybe I'll bug him. I keep this up and I'll alienate everyone on this site. lol

Huh?  What'd I do?  I haven't been bugged all day so go for it!

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:46:23 PM »

Hey Man, (Twolanerider) SOMEONE, (ain't mentioning no names) said that you might have some insight on the insides of an ignition switch housing. A picture of it is on page 8-51 of the manual that Cori so kindly sent me. I tore mine apart on my '04 CVO e glide and it don't seem to want to go back together right. It's the black plastic unit that the chrome key thingy is attached to and is located underneath it. And, of course, it ain't a serviceable part. And does not show up in the manual. And , like I told them, it ain't my fault, they put screws on it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:48:03 PM by MGB »
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »

Ok, just read back and saw what was going on.  Jerry threw me under the bus's ignition switch.

Yes, I have had Harley ignition switches apart.  One from a Road King for no other reason than "just because" and one from an FXD that was a little flaky but still functioning.  It was being replaced though so, again, why not.

Touring style off my 2000 Road Glide I've been in to also; but there wasn't a lot to go by for reassembly.  It had failed in a way that the key/tumbler turned inside the switch.  First time it happened I was nearly stranded 100 miles from home as I couldn't unlock the switch or start the bike.  Key just spun.  Fiddled with it for 20 minutes before something finally grabbed hold inside again and I was lucky enough to get the bike running.

Later that night I started seeing what damage I had to do to replace it since it would not come apart normally.  Granted the failure was in the keylock part on top rather than the actual ignition switch down below.  But I had to make everything off and cover things with moving blankets as well as I ended up taking a cutoff wheel to the switch to remove it.  Once that was done both upper and lower pieces were ruined so there was no reason not to finish looking inside to see what was there.

I'm assuming you've actually opened up the key/lock assembly up on top rather than the actual ignition switch itself that the lock goes down over?  As described mine was very butchered in its removal.  I saw enough though to know it's a tedious part.  Lots of alignment and a few small bits.

Let me suggest this for whatever that suggestion might be worth.  Don't fix it.  Mine had been acting a little stiff and mildly arbitrary before it failed.  That mechanical failure inside the switch is rare.  It's a bitch when it happens though.  The repair is not non-destructive and you may not get the bike running if it fails away from home.  So be safe, don't fix it.  Just replace the damned thing.

You can order a new and have it supplied using your existing key code.  So no hassles with a key that doesn't match.  If it was already flaky and you've now got it apart when it was never intended to be don't mess with it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »

Ok, just re-read your last post and see it wasn't the key part you've got apart.  If I'm reading correctly it's the actual ignition switch / fork lock you've disassembled. 

Yeah, I've had one of those apart (separately from the destructive disassembly described above) too.  People should not sell us tools if they don't want us to use them  8) .

The mechanicals here are simpler than the chrome "key part."  I had it apart and reassembled and it worked again.  Though I'd have no clue how to describe the process without the bits here in front of me.  It was a relatively straightforward assembly.  Nothing tricky or hidden.  I remember using a small precision screwdriver to help lining up and assembling pieces as it went back together and doing the work under a bench mounted magnifying lens and light.  I did take pics and make a couple sketches as I disassembled but that's been a long time ago.  So no chance the illustrations are still around.

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 12:07:18 AM »

Thanks Twolane. I'll have to look at it closer tomorrow when things are clearer. Sound like me, I do like to see how things work and toooo many times it has cost me toooooo much. Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:11:16 AM by MGB »
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 12:12:06 AM »

Thanks Twolane. Good advice and will probably go that route. Sound like me, I do like to see how things work and toooo many times it has cost me toooooo much. Thanks

You never know when knowing how something works might just save your ass (at least that's the best excuse I've got to tear stuff up)  :2vrolijk_21: .

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »

Hey, the attached is a pic of the inside of the switch housing along with the fork lock plunger that goes in the cradle between the red wires. The problem is that  I cannot get the round tumbler to get in the correct position so that the plunger will fit. Anyway, does anyone have one that can be opened so I can compare and see what position the round tumbler is in when the fork lock plunger is in place??? Thanks Mike
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »

HOT DAMN!!!!! Got it.. Thanks for all the help and input!!!!!
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.