Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just bought my 1st Harley, 02 FXDWG3  (Read 8402 times)

supermaxduramax

Just bought my 1st Harley, 02 FXDWG3
« on: June 09, 2009, 04:42:43 AM »

Last week I bought an 02 FXDWG3 in Blue/Silver with 2200 miles that was in like new condition.  I went to the dealer to look at an 01 Fat Boy they had on their website.  While I was looking at the Fat Boy, I mentioned to the Sales Manager, that I remembered years ago seeing an HD advertisement in a bike magazine of what I think was a "blue Dyna Wide Glide with a headlight fairing, lots of chrome, and silver flames".  I told him I'd love to find one but doubt I could afford it.  He smiled and told me to follow him out back to the garage area and he pointed and said "Is that what your talking about?  We just took it in and I haven't gotten it out on the sales floor yet".  Apparently, the original owner sold it back to the dealership because he needed the money...a sad common reality in this economy.  I paid $13.5k for it.  I did look at a couple on ebay before I bought the bike to make sure the price was in line and it seems it was.  I rode rice burners in my 20s and at 34, I have "come around".   I am certainly not proud, but I had not even heard of CVO until the guy told me about that part of HD.  Is it true these bikes listed for about $23k new and dealers were getting $28K-$29K for them?  Are they also known as "Switchblades"? Thanks for any other info  :)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Just bought my 1st Harley, 02 FXDWG3
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »

Welcome to the site from VA
Bill

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »

Welcome aboard from Minnesota and congratulations on the purchase of your Switchblade! As an owner of an '01 FXDWG2, I understand your admiration for these bikes. Glad you found one in such great shape and value priced to boot! You've joined a great community here as many of the members have years of experience on HD's and CVO's. Few questions go unanswered and opinions are freely offered. You'll get plenty of help with mods and issues. Just bring along your wallet.

The Switchblades (or Willie Glides as some folks call them) were made in 2001 and 2002 in 3 color combos. The red with gold flames were made in '01 and in '02 they made the bike in blue with silver flames and black with gold flames. The red bike had a tan seat, the blue had a grey seat and the black bike had a black seat, all with the ostrich side panels on the seats.

These are some of the most beautiful bikes HD ever made with the red one being slightly faster than the blue or black because of the special speed-enhancing properties of red paint.

Many were sold the bikes as collectors items, which explains why you can find these bikes 7-8 years later with such low miles. The retail was about $24K and some people did pay a premium but, as you can see, like almost every other bike, they do not appreciate over time. This is good news for those of us in the market for a great bike at a good price.

Enjoy your new ride and post some photos when you get a chance. Also, go over to the new member section and post a greeting there. You'll meet some fantastic folks on this forum.

Ride safe!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:49:32 AM by Buy early »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:37:46 AM »

Buy Early is the guy I was hoping would see this. Good job  :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »

welcome & laissez les bon temps rouler - from Bourbon St, New Orleans!    :drink:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

bigbadsan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »

I got mine in september. Its so awesome. I have the black and gold. I absolutely love it! I understood that the Switchblade is the fxdwg3 or 2 or 1 ?  with the S&S Motor in it, which was an option for our model. I bought my bike from my Dad who told me it is a Switchblade, but I looked up info on line and my results lead me to believe this. Some people call ours Switchblades, Thats OK with me, but I don't think so. A very beautiful Custom is what we have! I like the "Willie" thing though! Ill be riding this one for a long time. Oh, Dad paid $24,000. for it new. I paid 15,000 from Dad. You got a great deal!
Sandy

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:20:59 AM »

Both the WG2 and WG3 were called Switchblades , if you look on the MoCo site under Used Bikes you'll see CVO Switchblade -FXDWG2-FXDWG3

CONGRATS!

they are wonderful bikes,  I miss mine
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:07:31 AM by nidan »
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »

I got mine in september. Its so awesome. I have the black and gold. I absolutely love it! I understood that the Switchblade is the fxdwg3 or 2 or 1 ?  with the S&S Motor in it, which was an option for our model. I bought my bike from my Dad who told me it is a Switchblade, but I looked up info on line and my results lead me to believe this. Some people call ours Switchblades, Thats OK with me, but I don't think so. A very beautiful Custom is what we have! I like the "Willie" thing though! Ill be riding this one for a long time. Oh, Dad paid $24,000. for it new. I paid 15,000 from Dad. You got a great deal!
great scoot, congrats. Burning up those Mich roads. been in Ludington before, took the ferry over from Port Washington. nice area.
Welcome from Tennessee
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:57:12 PM »

Welcome aboard from Minnesota and congratulations on the purchase of your Switchblade! As an owner of an '01 FXDWG2, I understand your admiration for these bikes. Glad you found one in such great shape and value priced to boot! You've joined a great community here as many of the members have years of experience on HD's and CVO's. Few questions go unanswered and opinions are freely offered. You'll get plenty of help with mods and issues. Just bring along your wallet.

The Switchblades (or Willie Glides as some folks call them) were made in 2001 and 2002 in 3 color combos. The red with gold flames were made in '01 and in '02 they made the bike in blue with silver flames and black with gold flames. The red bike had a tan seat, the blue had a grey seat and the black bike had a black seat, all with the ostrich side panels on the seats.

These are some of the most beautiful bikes HD ever made with the red one being slightly faster than the blue or black because of the special speed-enhancing properties of red paint.

Many were sold the bikes as collectors items, which explains why you can find these bikes 7-8 years later with such low miles. The retail was about $24K and some people did pay a premium but, as you can see, like almost every other bike, they do not appreciate over time. This is good news for those of us in the market for a great bike at a good price.

Enjoy your new ride and post some photos when you get a chance. Also, go over to the new member section and post a greeting there. You'll meet some fantastic folks on this forum.

Ride safe!

I like mine so much....It's part of the living room... Best damn furniture I've ever had... Fun Too....
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.