Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 air cleaner/exhaust modifications . . .  (Read 2648 times)

wideslammer

2011 air cleaner/exhaust modifications . . .
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »

Here's another question from the fellow is considering the purchase of a 2011 Softail Convertible from a dealer who does not currently have the bike in the store. As a result, he's not entirely sure about a few of the questions I have for him.

The engine is a 110 ci Screaming Eagle but does that mean that the air cleaner is a "high performance" model like a K&N or is it a paper cleaner that should be replaced. Also, in pictures it looks like the air cleaner element does not have much protection against rain. Is there a rain sock or . . . ?

I'm also wondering about the mufflers. I imagine that they are rather restrictive and, if so, should they be replaced? I thought I read or heard somewhere that they might have removable baffles that could be exchanged for some that would be less restrictive. Is that so? I put Screaming Eagle pipes on my 2002 Wide Glide shortly after purchase. I believe the SE pipes in those days were much less restrictive than those that are available today so replacements would have to come from someplace other than the H-D catalog.

Finally, I'm wondering about power output. I have a American IronHorse Slammer with a 111 ci S&S engine. It's supposedly puts out about 100 horsepower. I don't know if that's accurate, but do I know it has noticeably more power than the 88 ci engine in the Wide Glide. What kind of output does a stock 110 have and what could be expected if air cleaner and slip-on exhaust changes were made?

Thank you for any response you care to make,
Ron

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: 2011 air cleaner/exhaust modifications . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:47:34 PM »

From the picture, it appears that the intake is the "ventilator" intake, which is a high volume intake, so there should be no need to change that.  And yes, it does come with a rain sock which can be used all the time, or not...from what I've read it does not restrict air flow into the filter.  Yes, the stock filter is paper and NOT gause like the K&N product.  Again, from what I've read, the paper filter actually does a bit better job of catching smaller particles of dirt/dust, and is not restrictive.  K&N is making a replacement filter, but it is exclusively (for now, at least) a HD part number, and must be ordered through a dealer.  I don't have the part number readily available, but there is another thread about that here somewhere.  Also, from my understanding, the ECM has been modified for the ventilator intake to add a little more fuel to the mix, while still meeting EPA regulations.  If you want a louder exhaust, or one that is a bit more free flowing, then you'd need to go with some aftermarket pipes, and you may want to change both the header pipes and the mufflers in the process.  Of course, if you do that, you'll need some sort of tuning device to adjust the A/F mixture, and that is a whole different subject.  Back in the "good ole days", you could do Screamin' Eagle mufflers, a SE air filter kit, and get an ECM "download" through HD...you could do that through the '06 model year, but not any more.

Sorry, but I don't know whether anyone offers an alternate baffle only for the stock mufflers on your bike...Fulsac does so for the touring bikes, but I don't think so for your bike.  On my bike, an SERGU (Road Glide), the exhaust note is not terrible, so I'm not sure if I'm going to change it or not...if I do, it will only be to cool the motor down with a tuning device, and I'll still not want a "loud" muffler so will probably go with the 1.75" Fulsac cores and probably their X header pipe as well.  Been there, done that with the loud exhaust...my ears can't take it any longer when doing a 500 mile day.

I'm sure some of the guys here who own bikes like yours will be able to chime in and make suggestions about exhaust systems...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ironpony

• Ironpony
  • 2011 Soft tail convertivble CVO

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
Re: 2011 air cleaner/exhaust modifications . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »

Ron,

I just completed 500 miles on my 2011 "convertible" soft tail SE ... LIke you, I had no choice on color, and simply took the one and only Soft tail SE that my local dealer received for the entire year ... it is the nice gold/brown scheme.  I decided to change out the mufllers only with Vance and Hines pipes, but did not change out the header manifolds... this change gives a nice "sound" to the bike and was the most cost effective since changing only the muflers did not require any engine electronic "download" ECI data ...

AS to performance of the 110 ...I can tell you that the 110 has noticeably  more torque and instant throttle power than the stock 96 engines ... I can pull away from a 2010 stock soft tail heritage in gears 3, and 4 quite impressively .... dont know what it is like in higer gears and such higher speeds ..I have too much gray hair to be comfortable at any speeds above 60 mph ... but 5th gear torque will set you back in the saddle smartly ...got to hang on to the handlebars tight....This is my 5th bike and 3ed Harley and is of course the best one yet ... the electronic ignition is a nice feature ... being able to "convert" from bags and 2 up seat to a single saddle look is one of the reasons I choose the bike.  the bike is an "eye turner"... I get comments all the time ... folks think it is a custom shop build ...the tire rims are most impressive and other bikers cant believe it is a HD factory delivery even if it is CVO....

Remember, Screaming Eagle CVO's HOLD value well ... at least up to this point that is true ... get one ... regards, ben
Retired Army Colonel .. former Medevac pilot ... now fly a 2004 Cirrus SR-22G2 and ride a 2011 Softail convertible CVO ... Pony up!

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.