Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Main drive bearing worn out  (Read 1374 times)

sumu

Main drive bearing worn out
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:07:17 PM »

2008 FLHTCUSE3 around 50k miles- When opened primary for belt change, noticed that main shaft from tranny is kind of "loose", i.e. there must be gap in the bearing.
Is this a typical issue? The easiest way is to take transmission out and only replace the main shaft drive end bearing, but has thee been problems at the other end bearings, main and countershafts? Anything else to consider?

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
Re: Main drive bearing worn out
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »

In and out mainshaft play is trap door bearings. Main drive gear wobble is MDG bearing.
IF i were going in there, I'd replace trap door bearings, MDG bearing, individual bearings and snap rings on main shaft/countershaft, and inspect shifter rings/dogs, new seals and gaskets- should be good to go for another 10 years.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Main drive bearing worn out
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »

When I built the engine in the 11 SESG I put in the Baker Street door.   Since you this far in on yours would definitely recommend

You seem as though you are going to buy a mainshaft and bearings anyhow

https://bakerdrivetrain.com/products/street-door?variant=37850076430

The Street Door is manufactured with 6061-T6 aluminum and features 28% wider bearings over stock. The bearings are retained with a 6-bolt steel 1/8″ plate, phantom clutch lever movement is reduced by 90%. Improved transmission function is complemented with Function Formed design cues.

Increased axial loads generated by the helical gearset allow the stock door beveled snap rings to compress, allowing the door bearings to walk in performance applications. The Street Door corrects this shortcoming and is a requirement for any serious motor upgrade.

Installs with no modifications and includes ARP fasteners, mainshaft and countershaft nuts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:50:42 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 24 queries.