Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What supporting mods for 140 or so rwhp clutch? belt? etc... for the drivetrain  (Read 3416 times)

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing

Getting my 2015 CVO street glide punched out to 124 along with head work on the bike and some diamond cut heads.  They are hoping to get close to 140 or so out of it,

I figure a clutch is probably in order,  not sure what brands are out there, obviously i'd like as light of a handle as i can get, but want to make sure it will hold  up

what else should i be looking at.  like say in the belt drive area or anything else that may be a weak link in the drivetrain?

2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

I make over that still run the stock belt and have not broke it and yes drag race the bike ..  Clutch can be a few set ups.. a 480 srping and AIM 84 would hold the power and give you the lightest pull .. OR bandit but that will be a heavy pull  most costly but best in my opinion to have it both ways is the barnett scorpion with lock up . 850 dollars or so I run one and love it 200% increased surface are and lock up. I run a muller power ramp as well my pull with heavy springs is 15% lighter than stock maybe even 20% .

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing

my guy recommended a scorpion by barnett as well, 

i'll look into the muller as well
2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

pay for the lock up version .

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7

I make over that still run the stock belt and have not broke it and yes drag race the bike ..  Clutch can be a few set ups.. a 480 srping and AIM 84 would hold the power and give you the lightest pull .. OR bandit but that will be a heavy pull  most costly but best in my opinion to have it both ways is the barnett scorpion with lock up . 850 dollars or so I run one and love it 200% increased surface are and lock up. I run a muller power ramp as well my pull with heavy springs is 15% lighter than stock maybe even 20% .

Steve, Are you running / have run The Barnett Scorpion Lockup with a CVO Hydraulic Clutch?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:58:10 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

No  I am not , but my set up works great but the hyd is not got anything to do really with the set up other than your throw out bearing is not as strong and there is not upgrade per say.  I have seen a few failures with lock up and hyd throw out bearings though.. again back to huge pressure on the system at higher RPM

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B

Steve, Are you running / have run The Barnett Scorpion Lockup with a CVO Hydraulic Clutch?

I'm running it with mine Ed.  No issues thusfar.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

<snip>your throw out bearing is not as strong and there is not upgrade per say.  I have seen a few failures with lock up and hyd throw out bearings though.. again back to huge pressure on the system at higher RPM

I had the Barnett scorpion VPC for hydraulic and it ate bearings. The bearing used in the Barnett is a 6200. Three problems with this bearing:
1. it's tiny
2. there are some really crappy-cheap versions of 6200s out there. You can pay ten bucks for a 6200 or you can buy ten for a dollar; or many choices in between.
3. a standard ball bearing is not a great choice for axial loading.
Get a high quality 6200, or better yet, upgrade to a 7200 series "angular contact" which is specifically designed for this "side loading"
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

Some of the aftermarket stuff has issues due to the lack of adjustability of the hydraulic clutch...

Pete, are you just running the lockout or are you running the full Barnett setup?

What are your suggestions for preventative measures??
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:55:42 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Pete is running a AIM unit

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

Some of the aftermarket stuff has issues due to the lack of adjustability of the hydraulic clutch...

Pete, are you just running the lockout or are you running the full Barnett setup?

What are your suggestions for preventative measures??

Ed, I'm actually running the Barnett Scorpion Low Profile with lockup pn 608-30-33710.

I recall one throwout bearing failure reported to Steve by a site member who did a 113 kit before me.  Not sure if it a rampant problem, but would like to know the difference between the 6200 and 7200 bearing and where you get one.  I have had no issues thusfar, but also understand at least in the aforementioned example, that the issue reared it's head very soon after install.  So perhaps it goes bad right way and if not it is ok?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Ok well it had a AIM on it at the time , whoops

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

Ok well it had a AIM on it at the time , whoops

Nope, stock clutch with SE spring!  Too many builds a go Steve ;D

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

I had the Barnett scorpion VPC for hydraulic and it ate bearings. The bearing used in the Barnett is a 6200. Three problems with this bearing:
1. it's tiny
2. there are some really crappy-cheap versions of 6200s out there. You can pay ten bucks for a 6200 or you can buy ten for a dollar; or many choices in between.
3. a standard ball bearing is not a great choice for axial loading.
Get a high quality 6200, or better yet, upgrade to a 7200 series "angular contact" which is specifically designed for this "side loading"

Are there any "upgrade" bearings for the stock CVO Clutch??

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Yes, you could use the same 7200 and improve the stock piece which is also a 6200 regular ball bearing, installed without shields.
The OEM, the Barnett and the Bandit all spec the same 6200 bearing dimension, HD installs it open, Barnett and Bandit both install them sealed. OEM in this case is an NTN Japan and the others are China. The new 7200 I got was Germany.
To follow up on that thought, due to various reasons, I have not ridden much since August last year so the 7200 mod only has around 3000 miles on it. Not a legit test yet, and now I've sold it to a buddy when I put in the Bandit clutch in mine. I'll keep tabs on it and he rides a lot of miles, typically.
Even without the long term test, the 7200 is clearly the better design for this application. I made a thread about this last year
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=103989.msg1340956#msg1340956 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:49:38 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.