Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch pull  (Read 1627 times)

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
Clutch pull
« on: April 15, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »

I plan on handing down my 2010 CVO street glide to my wife but after riding it for quite some time she complained about the clutch pull too difficult. I have an easy pull  kit in her 2007 cable operated bike and it is definitely easier than the hydro clutch. Does anyone know if it’s possible to make the hydro clutch easier?? :-\

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Clutch pull
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »

One way to reduce the clutch pull effort is to use a lighter clutch spring in combination with something like a VPC pressure plate.  The VPC (variable pressure clutch) uses centrifugal force to apply more pressure to the clutch plates as rpm's increase. This will result in a lighter effort clutch pull at idle and low speeds, but that effort will increase as rpm's increase.  Assuming she doesn't do a lot of 6000 rpm shifting, that shouldn't be an issue.  There are many combinations of VPC and spring to suit different purposes.  If the bike is basically stock then the VP68LT model of the AIM VPC is designed to reduce clutch pull effort approximately 40% and still provide the clamping force to prevent clutch slip.  There are other models for people with modified engines to suit the torque output of those engines. 

https://aim-tamachi.com/collections/vp-clutch/products/vp68iv

There were some threads on this site back in the 2010 - 2012 time frame talking about this very issue, and if my memory was better I'd be able to tell you the name of one lady on the site who did this modification and was very happy with the result.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »

I plan on handing down my 2010 CVO street glide to my wife but after riding it for quite some time she complained about the clutch pull too difficult. I have an easy pull  kit in her 2007 cable operated bike and it is definitely easier than the hydro clutch. Does anyone know if it’s possible to make the hydro clutch easier?? :-\

My wife’s 2013 SERG has the SE 3 Spring clutch and it holds 135+, the pull is super easy.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »

One way to reduce the clutch pull effort is to use a lighter clutch spring in combination with something like a VPC pressure plate.  The VPC (variable pressure clutch) uses centrifugal force to apply more pressure to the clutch plates as rpm's increase. This will result in a lighter effort clutch pull at idle and low speeds, but that effort will increase as rpm's increase.  Assuming she doesn't do a lot of 6000 rpm shifting, that shouldn't be an issue.  There are many combinations of VPC and spring to suit different purposes.  If the bike is basically stock then the VP68LT model of the AIM VPC is designed to reduce clutch pull effort approximately 40% and still provide the clamping force to prevent clutch slip.  There are other models for people with modified engines to suit the torque output of those engines. 
Thanks for the info..installed one and it works exactly as advertised. Wife is happy with clutch.

There were some threads on this site back in the 2010 - 2012 time frame talking about this very issue, and if my memory was better I'd be able to tell you the name of one lady on the site who did this modification and was very happy with the result.

Jerry

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »

Take a look at these. I rode a KTM dirt bike with one and could not believe how well it worked.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

Worked great!

Jerry

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.