Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Is this chicken $H!t?  (Read 10491 times)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Is this chicken $H!t?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »

I have had it with this thread....not with the OP or OUR responses but with the snapshot we have presented of the HD dealers and service departments. There is a theme of mistrust and animosity toward them and to some degree perhaps well deserved. Apparently our CVO's are made with crappy parts, by crappy workers, sold by a crappy dealership network, and serviced by a bunch of idiots; at least that is the impression we are leaving.  IF so, why have we each spent a large chunk of money on these products? 

I buy Mercedes-Benz cars. When I walk in, they know my name. When I get service I am offered loaners so I can go shopping or to lunch. They text me when my car is ready and it is vac'd and washed first. IF I need warrantee work, they apologize and bring my car to my home and pick up the loaner. They treat their customers like royalty.

Why doesn't the most successful manufacturer of motorcycles worldwide, selling the most expensive production products in their class, do the same thing?  A g.d. twelve dollar part!!!!! 

If this SM worked for me he would be a "service washer" for a month with reduced pay, if not fired on the spot. 45 minutes of HIS time, B.S. his "time" is paid for, now take care of my customers and put a smile on your face as well. IF HE CAN'T HANDLE THE PRESSURE, QUIT.  Pressure isn't needing 45 minutes you really don't have that day. PRESSURE is making the payroll, Pressure is making the floor plan, Pressure is having a guy slip out front and breaking his arm, Pressure is finding out you owe the I.R.S. ten grand you don't have.

Harley-Davidson needs to re-think and re-train their Corporate attitude period.  They need to TELL their franchise owners they STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUTS period, and the owners need to tell their EMPLOYEES that their number one job is to make each customer feel as if they are their ONLY customer.

I realize WE are a cantankerous group; demanding, at times rude, sometimes crude, and we use their products (at times) in the most destructive ways. That is all factored into the price of a $32,000 (or more) product. Get with it HD, the Indian is hunting now, and it's your wagon train they are looking for.

OWL

sorry for the rant, I'm pissed off.

Not disagreeing OWL, I just want to provide some balance.

My dealer's personnel greet me by name when I visit, whether for service, parts or just to BS. I have always gotten great service there, with the bikes done at the promised time, no surprise or added expenses on the bill, washed and ready to go. When needed they have sent a driver with trailer to pick up the bikes at the house- warranty work or not - and once I had them deliver the bike to the house when done - it was February in New England after all. Never had need to ask for a loaner since I've got other bikes to ride whilst repairs are done.

Of course all this great service and friendly attitude does cost me - I paid for the bikes of course, and I'm one of those "fools" who pays the dealer to do the "big" services like the 5k, 10k, 20k, and then the seemingly endless stream of parts and accessories that I add. I look at it as my "job" to support the good dealerships so that they will still be there when I (or you) need them. But as I see it, at least that the dealer I frequent appreciates my business and also realizes and appreciates the fact that I refer other people to them when asked for recommendations.

Are there dealers I won't set foot in?? YES there are... But I guess my point is that not ALL of 'em are in need of a refresher course in customer service.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »

I'm going to refrain from comment on your baseless ignorance!

Hey man, I was just yanking your chain.  Let's be friends.   :)
Jesus is Lord

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:37 AM »

The dealer I go to is great. The problem I had with my 2009 was with the factory not wanting to pay for the parts the dealer needed to fix the bike. After a year and a big fight the factory gave in and fixed the bike. In 20 years I have purchased 7 bikes from HD. 4 have been CO's. Their motto is "Customer For Life". You would think I would be their poster boy...So far not real big problems with the 2012 and just over 50,000 miles. I'm ready for a new CVO but going to wait until they work the bugs out of the 2014 CVO Ultra.
Bill

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »

right is right and wrong is wrong.  If you are being wronged, you need to speak up for your rights.  Tell him to order the part if he won't part with his inventory. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »

I have had it with this thread....not with the OP or OUR responses but with the snapshot we have presented of the HD dealers and service departments. There is a theme of mistrust and animosity toward them and to some degree perhaps well deserved. Apparently our CVO's are made with crappy parts, by crappy workers, sold by a crappy dealership network, and serviced by a bunch of idiots; at least that is the impression we are leaving.  IF so, why have we each spent a large chunk of money on these products?  

I buy Mercedes-Benz cars. When I walk in, they know my name. When I get service I am offered loaners so I can go shopping or to lunch. They text me when my car is ready and it is vac'd and washed first. IF I need warrantee work, they apologize and bring my car to my home and pick up the loaner. They treat their customers like royalty.

Why doesn't the most successful manufacturer of motorcycles worldwide, selling the most expensive production products in their class, do the same thing?  A g.d. twelve dollar part!!!!!  

If this SM worked for me he would be a "service washer" for a month with reduced pay, if not fired on the spot. 45 minutes of HIS time, B.S. his "time" is paid for, now take care of my customers and put a smile on your face as well. IF HE CAN'T HANDLE THE PRESSURE, QUIT.  Pressure isn't needing 45 minutes you really don't have that day. PRESSURE is making the payroll, Pressure is making the floor plan, Pressure is having a guy slip out front and breaking his arm, Pressure is finding out you owe the I.R.S. ten grand you don't have.

Harley-Davidson needs to re-think and re-train their Corporate attitude period.  They need to TELL their franchise owners they STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUTS period, and the owners need to tell their EMPLOYEES that their number one job is to make each customer feel as if they are their ONLY customer.

I realize WE are a cantankerous group; demanding, at times rude, sometimes crude, and we use their products (at times) in the most destructive ways. That is all factored into the price of a $32,000 (or more) product. Get with it HD, the Indian is hunting now, and it's your wagon train they are looking for.

OWL

sorry for the rant, I'm pissed off.
You are right and this is the way it should be but the reality of the situation is HD promotes saving money
on warranty claims. I often suspected that because service depts did not want to do warranty work that there was
a good reason why. As it turns out the dealer gets a bonus from the MoCo if they keep the warranty dollars spent
by the dealer below a certain level. This promotes bad customer service and HD obviously worry's more about saving
money than keeping customers happy.

I worked at a dealership and a customer brought in a black Fatboy with a defective gas tank. We replaced the tank under warranty but when we got the new tank in it had a very visible thumb print in the clear coat on top of the tank.
I called HD about it and they said they would only replace it if it was visible from 10 feet away. It was not of course
and they said they would NOT replace it but it was in a perfect place to see it sitting on the bike. I ended up having
the tank buffed until the print was gone. The customer was still not happy that we had to fix the tank instead of getting another new tank so I traded him out of the bike and sold him another new one.

It's sad but it seems to me that the MoCo just doesn't care about there customers after they sell you the bike. They would rather save a tank than keep a customer happy. I had to trade with the customer to keep him happy. After
that I was very disappointed with HD on customer service.

As long as they keep selling us these overpriced bikes and we keep buying them I guess they really don't have any
incentive to give you good customer service. They know we will buy them anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:35:57 PM by Banana man »

roccsky63

• My 04 Deuce..lovin it
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »

This might have been said but Im goin lazy and stopped reading after page 1....

If its under warrenty you shouldnt have to pay a dime.  They need to replace it period, no matter how nice and friendly you guys are.
If you arn't riding..you arn't living!

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »

Yep this is it all starts, we all will need to go to sensitivity training to play on the forum!!!!!
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »

Yep this is it all starts, we all will need to go to sensitivity training to play on the forum!!!!!

I forgot all about this thread 2 pages ago.  I expected some debate when I started it.  I find it interesting 'cause I understand both sides. 

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »

I forgot all about this thread 2 pages ago.  I expected some debate when I started it.  I find it interesting 'cause I understand both sides. 

My thought is about the logic the SM used, $12.00 vs. 3/4 of an hour of non productive time on the phone. He did what was beneficial to the bottom line which his department must be accountable for. I don't think the SM was being malicious, only practical.

Knowing this as a person in business you did the correct thing taking his advice and purchasing the part which is way less than the loss on the phone. He was right and you were right.
Logic vs. principle.
Who knows what they at the dealership would have thought of you if you made a "stink" about $12. :nixweiss:
jmho, Al

2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »

If you pay for a warranty part, regardless of the cost, you are taken advantage of from a multi million dollar company. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »

My thought is about the logic the SM used, $12.00 vs. 3/4 of an hour of non productive time on the phone. He did what was beneficial to the bottom line which his department must be accountable for. I don't think the SM was being malicious, only practical.

Knowing this as a person in business you did the correct thing taking his advice and purchasing the part which is way less than the loss on the phone. He was right and you were right.
Logic vs. principle.
Who knows what they at the dealership would have thought of you if you made a "stink" about $12. :nixweiss:
jmho, Al

Sorry Al, but the SM was definitely not right.  What he was is lazy and incompetent, which isn't that rare in Harley shops now that I think about it.

Submitting claims for warranty is a pretty straightforward deal that doesn't involve 45 minute phone calls, so that part of his response is BS.  But if he really felt submitting a claim wasn't worth it to him or his dealership, then he should have bought the part himself or had the dealership buy it for the customer.  THAT would be the correct way to do it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »

I agree with Jerry on this one

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »

One thing that seems to be overlooked by everyone is the fact that the dealership is also a customer of the OP. Meaning the dealer spends money with the OP's business.

I agree, warranty is warranty regardless of the $ involved. But the OP also has to look out for his own business in this case. Does he want to lose a customer over a $12 fight? Probably not.

My dealer treated me great on the first 3 bikes I purchased from them but bike #4 was a lemon and had multiple problems that were not admitted to by the dealer or the MOCO. Hard to say which was lying to me. But hey because they refused to fix my problems on the 2012 they were able to get another $20 grand out of me by trading me into a 13 SE.

I do not have my service work performed at this dealer any longer and they know they lost me as a service customer but I swear they are friendlier to me now than they were when I did have service work done there. Especially after the dealer tells me I am not keeping your 2012, I am sending it down the road but a month later the salesperson says to me the guy that bought your old bike loves it! We had to do some work to it to get it running correctly but he says it is a great bike now! I told the salesperson, I was told there was nothing wrong with that bike and that nothing needed fixed and that is exactly why I do not have work done here any longer.

Funny thing is is that salesperson is no longer there!! LOL

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 25 queries.