Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Installation of 3M type film paint protection  (Read 16519 times)

TimAT

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
JR

TimAT

Re: Installation of 3M type film paint protection
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »

If you look at the pictures on the cut film, I'll bet there's a kit that will work. If not, call them- they can also custom cut the stuff. After I watched the guy install mine, there's no way I'd do a self install on my bike. He spent close to 4 hours getting it right, and having him do it also puts a 5 year warranty on it!!

Tim

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2007, 12:38:44 AM »

Hey! Guy's
Would one or more of you guy's with it on take acouple of Pic's of your bikes I know that not all pictures will do it justice but just maybe and idea of how it looks. :nixweiss:

Don..........

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »

Hey! Guy's
Would one or more of you guy's with it on take acouple of Pic's of your bikes I know that not all pictures will do it justice but just maybe and idea of how it looks. :nixweiss:

Don..........

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2007, 12:54:26 AM »

The above pic is of the front fairing, fender, lowers and hard bags done with 3M, the pic below is of the hard bags done on the top and rear as well as the sides but not shown.

Not as good as nekkid paint but not bad from a few feet.

Rog

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »

Be cheaper and look a WHOLE lot better if you just stayed further behind whatever it is you are following. I have Invisi Shield on my lowers where my foot comes in contact with the paint while feet are on the h/w pegs. It just looks cheap, no way around it. I see new Porsches, C-Vettes with it on them. Looks cheap there to.
Can not imagine where you all are riding that you need to cover urethane with semi-clear plastic to protect it. But good luck!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »

Be cheaper and look a WHOLE lot better if you just stayed further behind whatever it is you are following. I have Invisi Shield on my lowers where my foot comes in contact with the paint while feet are on the h/w pegs. It just looks cheap, no way around it. I see new Porsches, C-Vettes with it on them. Looks cheap there to.
Can not imagine where you all are riding that you need to cover urethane with semi-clear plastic to protect it. But good luck!

The highway DW, the highway.  My outer fairing had 16 divots in it of various sizes when it came off.  A few were very large.  Several more on the lowers.  But they are easier to touch up and keep hidden.  Just part of being on the road.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »

Couple years ago I bought Linda a Black on Black Mitsu Eclipse GTS Spyder convertible with all leather interior,the hot rod motor and all the other bells and whistles. This idiot at the dealership named Ernie Paremnjar talked me into the Invisi claiming I wouldn't even see it Well when we went to pick up the car, I could see it from 50ft away. Parmenjar tried to BS us, so my wife and I made an appt with the GM, drove the car to the dealership, walked into his office and handed him the keys. We gave him a choice- - take the Invisi off and refund us the cost or he could have the car back. They gave us a loaner, stripped it off the next day, detailed the car and apologized for the incovenience.

Moral of the story is you can put up with your bike looking like your Aunt Mabel's sofa covered in clear vinyl or you can ride it and put up with the dings.

superbear

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - RED
    • CVO2: FLHXSE2 - Black Diamond / Crismon 2011
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:07 AM »

Really looking forward to a report on how it is holding up. Alaska road are well...... not the best and the bug butts are like no where else I have ever ridden in the lower 48.  May just be the answer if it holds up.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »

Mine for one is still in great shape and not discolored.  It has been washed many times and continues to hold up.  

Our car customers install it on many high end cars and we seldom have any complaint over time.  I have a 26,000 mile 911 in stock right now that has made numerous trips from Seattle to Great Falls (in excess of the 150's most trips) and even eating bugs at that speed it has held up great.

Some may recall on the GTG to Nelson a few years back I had the misfortune to eat a big pot hole and dump my SEUC, the film on the saddle bag saved a paint job for me that time, although the 3M film was shot, the paint just needed a little rub out.

I give it two thumbs up  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:01:29 AM by RJ749 »

J B

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG CC
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

I had a substandard install done by Central Coast Clearbra, located in the Bay Area CA. Nice guy, professional demeanor, but he wasn't willing to custom-cut pieces for what wasn't in the kit, and there are a number of flaws. Warrantee is there but it has been really hard to get in touch with the guy (Matt) to come fix the job.
In general a good product but it has to be installed well and the available kits won't cover everything - like the gold leafing, for example.
The kit my guy used (from xpel) covered the fairing, saddlebag lids (including a strip along the lip) and and the saddlebag fronts, but not the sides or backs. The fronts are a little short since we have the stretched bags, and the kit is made for standard.
Attached is a pic of some kind of grit trapped under there. About to pull it off but worried he'll make a fuss about warranty if I do. OCD aside (uncleanable specks! egad!) it has me imagining the film is pushing the grit deeper into the paint every day.
The pic shows a couple pieces of grit under the film, on the front side between the flames and the stripe. You can also see there is a bubble along the contour. The rest of the white spots in the pic (on the side, etc) are glare! On the upside - you don't notice the edge of the film at all  ::) which runs up the edge between front and side.

2010 SESG CC
Feuling Reaper Cams
Fullsac Cores
Wild 1 Bagger Apes
CycleSmiths Banana Boards
Walter's Workshop Extended Levers
Kuryakyn Plate Frame
LED Light Show by Metal Dragon
Seating by Corbin
Sound by Hawg Wired

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »

Is it actually grit or just water?

The little air bubbles can be mostly eliminated during evaporation and if not you can prick the bubble with a fine needle to let out air or moisture.  (do not penetrate to paint)

I wouldn't be concerned about whatever it is grinding the paint under the plastice as it is very stable.

Sorry you had the install issue.  Hope it works out.

I found this link that says it is Clear bra but not sure.  It has all the pieces and can be cut in three different plastics, Ventureshield, ventureshield  Premium and 3M.  http://www.stickercity.com/00-up-harley-flh-electra-glide-complete-clear-bra-kit.html

I'll attach their pattern example here too.  Looks to include sides of bags etc .

Tom of VA

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »

I have use this product on my cars and I like it. I has a life of a couple of years before it starts to show wear which is fine. What I am concerned with is how easy does it come off when the time come to replace it? Has any one hear every removed theirs and was there an issue?

J B

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG CC
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »

it does come off easily - just warm it up (I laid a hot towel on the area I was working on), and once you get a corner lifted it peels right off.

PS - The suspicious spots in my pic above were in fact grit - water / air spots do come out if you rub them in with a cloth.
2010 SESG CC
Feuling Reaper Cams
Fullsac Cores
Wild 1 Bagger Apes
CycleSmiths Banana Boards
Walter's Workshop Extended Levers
Kuryakyn Plate Frame
LED Light Show by Metal Dragon
Seating by Corbin
Sound by Hawg Wired
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 25 queries.