Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Seat Leather Care???  (Read 11950 times)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
Seat Leather Care???
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »

It is such a simple thing to do, just put a little on a cloth and rub the seat. The only time I think about it is sitting here in the office and never remember when I get home.

Here is the question, how often do you put a leather cleaner or a treatment on your seat? (farts don't count)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Seat Leather Care???
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »

It is such a simple thing to do, just put a little on a cloth and rub the seat. The only time I think about it is sitting here in the office and never remember when I get home.

Here is the question, how often do you put a leather cleaner or a treatment on your seat? (farts don't count)
Why not?  :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »

... The only time I think about it is sitting here in the office and never remember when I get home...

When you remind me & I'm no where near the bike!

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »

Why not?  :nixweiss:

OK, other leather treatments. ;D

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

Keep a bottle / tin of cleaner / treatment w/ the other waxes, cleaners, etc. When it looks like it needs it I do it. If I've got time on my hands I do it regardless. Haven't been on the damn thing 'cept once in the last three months so I can't remember how often that works out too. Screw winter. Anyway, 4,5,6 times a year.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »

Every time I wash the motorcycle..........on average once a week spring thru fall.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 06:36:55 AM »

Every time I wash the motorcycle..........on average once a week spring thru fall.

Ditto. The sun is really hard on Leather. I like the Doc Bailey's.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »

In the famous (almost) words of Jack Nicholson, "I don't want the truth, I can't handle the truth"!
Once a week, hell I'm at least 104 behind on one of my bikes. :o :o :o

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »

In the famous (almost) words of Jack Nicholson, "I don't want the truth, I can't handle the truth"!
Once a week, hell I'm at least 104 behind on one of my bikes. :o :o :o

Shame on you. Get out that polish!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »

MJ, I've got no idea if it's true or not but I use it as justification for not feeling about not doing it more often.  I know an old graybeard leathersmith who swears that too much leather dressing (of any kind) actually is not good for the leather.  It should be cleaned and treated; but not all the time.  So I dress mine no more than once every couple of months.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »

MJ, I've got no idea if it's true or not but I use it as justification for not feeling about not doing it more often.  I know an old graybeard leathersmith who swears that too much leather dressing (of any kind) actually is not good for the leather.  It should be cleaned and treated; but not all the time.  So I dress mine no more than once every couple of months.

Two Lane. I've heard that as well but my Corbin still looks brand new. Oh, chit, I just remembered. I only picked it up in Daytona last October.  It IS new. :P

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »

Two Lane. I've heard that as well but my Corbin still looks brand new. Oh, chit, I just remembered. I only picked it up in Daytona last October.  It IS new. :P

Muff, I know I'm not a materials guy for leathers.  But I guess it makes sense that it could be "too wet" and thereby lead to some degradation prematurely.  The old leathersmith I know so well sure swears by it though. 

My saddles have always held up well doing them once every two or three months rather than more often.  And I'm sure happy about using his advice as an excuse to feel ok about cleaning something less often :2vrolijk_21: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »

MJZ - usually all the leather gets a treatment about once a month.  If I have ridden in rain, sometimes it's a little more often than that.  Don't have the time or patience to take care of it weekly but if I notice it's getting dry, I take care of it.

Doc's is a fantastic product & good for all kinds of leather.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »

OK, now that I feel sufficiently guilty, took the seat off last night to treat it and decided to go ahead and put the tour pack on for Copperhead, since I'll be out of town until the 25th. Since I only ride solo, I almost never put the tour pack on and have never used it with the Corbin Dual. I went to put the tp on last night and it is not even close, did any of you that have the Corbin on  SEEG's run into this? Oh and before you ask, yes, I did take the V Rail off the seat.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »

I think if you put the tour pak on first, then the seat you will be fine. Try that and let me know.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

Once in the spring (i use the Harley Cream) remove the seat rub the stuff on and let it air dry 24 hrs then wipe it down with a clean colth. The tour pack is conditioned on the bike rub it on and let it dry 24hrs rube the excess (buff) it off.

repeat in the Fall.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »

I read somewhere, I can't remember, that under normal circumstances, you should condition the leather twice a year.  I condition my seat, dashpad, and tourpak in the spring and fall, like VAZHOG, but will use the HD leather cleaning wipes more often, mainly just to get the dust and road grime off of them.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »

I use the Glare Leather Treatment instead of the Harley Goop.  Do it whenever it looks like it needs it, which probably works out to about every couple of months in heavy riding season.  I'll usually detail the bike thoroughly before an extened trip, and will do it then, regardless.  I also try to find some shade to park the bike in, if possible, just to keep the leather out of the sun, or just cover it with my jacket.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »

Here is the question, how often do you put a leather cleaner or a treatment on your seat?

:nixweiss: Whenever she wants to go for a ride  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 10:29:03 PM »

:nixweiss: Whenever she wants to go for a ride  :2vrolijk_21:

Lexol is the only way to go

Cleaner and treatment two separate bottles

Best stuff made for anything leather

B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »

Been using Lexol for all leather for several years - jackets, chaps, leggings, seats, bags, car seats, etc. Not good for suede.    Local cobbler told me it is essentially the same stuff as Neats Foot Oil.  Used that stuff prior to Lexol & that reminded me of some baseball gloves which I don't use anymore.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 08:55:47 AM »

OK, now that I feel sufficiently guilty, took the seat off last night to treat it and decided to go ahead and put the tour pack on for Copperhead, since I'll be out of town until the 25th. Since I only ride solo, I almost never put the tour pack on and have never used it with the Corbin Dual. I went to put the tp on last night and it is not even close, did any of you that have the Corbin on  SEEG's run into this? Oh and before you ask, yes, I did take the V Rail off the seat.

Mine does not fit with the pillion on...the tp mount plate rubs hard on the pillion...I need to modify it or the tp plate..
Its a serk with corbin solo, no rail.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »

I've got Lexol and the HD stuff. Any thoughts on which is better?? Need to do the bags and seat!! Thoughts??  :-\
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:24:38 PM by GH w/08SERK »

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »

I've got Lexol and the HD stuff. Any thoughts on which is better?? Need to do the bags and seat!! Thoughts??  :-\

Howie,
I've never used Lexol......and that tub of grease that came with the motorcycle is lost somewhere in the cabinet clutter above the washer and dryer.  Can't speak for the use of Lexol, but that HD grease looks and feels like lard.  I used it once.
GLARE Leather protectant works great after every wash.  Just applied a fresh coat this afternoon.  Every now and then through the week I'll go over all the leather with one of those Meguier's Leather Wipes.  Those things work great to get the dust off.
If it were me, I'd do the seat and the bags.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

I've used both, either will give satisfactory results......you just need to replenish the oils that dry out of the leather (sun/rain/washing/wear/etc) to keep it soft & pliable.  Both will attrack dust/dirt...just have to wipe it down and keep it relatively clean.  My 2 cents.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 07:54:38 AM »

I got a small tub of unprocessed whale oil off of a shipwreck years ago (diving), that seems to work pretty good, although it does stink for a little bit.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:41 AM »

I usually treat the leather once a month in season and before I stop each winter. After 5 years the leather got a real nice patina and wrinkles here and there. The seat on my 03 SERK seems to be a higher quality leather than my CUSE-maybe it's the pan. I actually used the entire tub of Harley leather treatment and bought a larger one. I also find I like to apply the conditioner when the leather is warm from the sun-seems to absorb better then buff. :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »

Once again thanks to all  :2vrolijk_21: I went with the Lexol... Now I'll see how it wears. Didn't like the looks of the HD Conditioner. Just .02

Howie

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »

Yup...I had to drill out the rivets and cut a piece out of the top/back of seat pan to get the TP frame to fit on my serk. 
While I had it opened up I also cleaned up the bottom fender radius because it was rubbing too...
Corbin sure has seemingly gone downhill fast.
The pan was nasty, lumpy and out of square...It is better now

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »

Once again thanks to all  :2vrolijk_21: I went with the Lexol... Now I'll see how it wears. Didn't like the looks of the HD Conditioner. Just .02

Howie

Lexol has worked ok for me for years.  I also use Doc Baily's leather black for small scratches & any areas that become discolored.

http://www.docbailey.com/leather_black.asp

Stuff works great on boots, too.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »

Lexol has worked ok for me for years.  I also use Doc Baily's leather black for small scratches & any areas that become discolored.

http://www.docbailey.com/leather_black.asp

Stuff works great on boots, too.
One downside to the leather bags is my BSR seems to leave finger nail "trails" when opening the lid- no matter how careful!! I am hoping the Lexol will conceal. If not I'll try the Doc Bailey's, thanks Mike.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

One downside to the leather bags is my BSR seems to leave finger nail "trails" when opening the lid- no matter how careful!! I am hoping the Lexol will conceal. If not I'll try the Doc Bailey's, thanks Mike.

You are welcome, Howie.  The Doc Baily's sells for about $25 a bottle at bike rallys around here.  Bought my last bottle about 3 years ago - used in on the 02 RK classic bags & Mustang seats - look as good as new.  My BSR is usually pretty good about that stuff, but after 7 years, leather bags need a little help.  The foot dragging drives me up a wall, but she is "vertically challenged" so understanding is best in these circumstances I suppose.

Use it more regularly on black boots - easily restores them. 

REGGAB

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »

Same thing happens on the Tour-Pak.  Looks like a cat got after it.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »

Same thing happens on the Tour-Pak.  Looks like a cat got after it.

She has been very good about using the luggage rack rail to lift the tour pack.  Have seen what you are referring to though.  Suppose a "hand rail" (if one existed) would be too damn ugly.   :nixweiss:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »

Wow Howie, what's your back look like?  Rocky's got some nails!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »

Wow Howie, what's your back look like?  Rocky's got some nails!
A hell of a left hook too Jim  :mad:   :huepfenlol2:   :drink:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:11 PM »

Anyome hear of these guys? http://www.fiebing.com/product.asp?typeID=3

This sounds like sounds like good stuff, as well as the rest of their line!

Aussie Leather Conditioner

Developed with Australian horsemen, Aussie Leather Conditioner helps leather to withstand hot, dry climate conditions. Contains natural Beeswax. A must for saddle owners in bitter cold and dry areas as well as those in hot, dry climates. Perfect for use on saddles, tack, boots, guncases and handbags.

It should help repel water too.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 10:57:01 PM »

Developed with Australian horsemen, Aussie Leather Conditioner helps leather to withstand hot, dry climate conditions. Contains natural Beeswax. A must for saddle owners in bitter cold and dry areas as well as those in hot, dry climates. Perfect for use on saddles, tack, boots, guncases and handbags.

Hoist! 8)

The H-D leather treatment has bees wax too sounds like it's virtually the same-what's the price point?

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Neat Foot Oil I used to use was Fiebing as I recall.  Never used the other stuff.  Beeswax works very well as a conditioner & waterproofer. 

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2008, 08:40:45 PM »

Saddle Soap, Kiwi outdoor saddle soap, cheap and probably the  same chit as the lard and whale blubber and crap that harley gives you and the neatsfoot oil. The thing I like best is, CHEAP!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »

Saddle Soap, Kiwi outdoor saddle soap, cheap and probably the  same chit as the lard and whale blubber and crap that harley gives you and the neatsfoot oil. The thing I like best is, CHEAP!
I thought saddle soap was just for cleaning leather.  But, I always use something else after the cleaning to replenish the oils.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 12:26:10 AM »

Who has a leather seat ?
My FLHTCUSE3 is vinyl, the same as every other bike I have ever owned.
I did see a leather seat on a bike once in the 1970's. It got wet once and never looked the same again.
I guess we are just using "Leather" as a general description ?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 12:36:15 AM »

Who has a leather seat ?
I did see a leather seat on a bike once in the 1970's. It got wet once and never looked the same again.

Corbin uses leather in the seating area of all their seats.  My SEEG came with a stock seat that had leather in the seating area.  Vinyl in the other parts.  :) spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »

I thought saddle soap was just for cleaning leather.  But, I always use something else after the cleaning to replenish the oils.  spyder

Spydy...saddle soap IS just for cleaning leather...does a great job for that, but not much for conditioning/waterproofing.  Lexol is a great product, but I find the Glare leather protectant to be the best, just like the rest of their products.  The Doc's Black stuff works well for covering up scratches, etc.  The good thing about Glare is it has UV protectant, and UV is the enemy of leather.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »

Spydy...saddle soap IS just for cleaning leather...does a great job for that, but not much for conditioning/waterproofing.  Lexol is a great product, but I find the Glare leather protectant to be the best, just like the rest of their products.  The Doc's Black stuff works well for covering up scratches, etc.  The good thing about Glare is it has UV protectant, and UV is the enemy of leather.
Just threw out my saddle soap! read on!
fact, saddle soap is a very poor cleaner. It must first dissolve its own oils, limiting its capacity to dissolve dirt and oils in the leather. Saddle soap is also inherently alkaline but alkalinity is damaging to leather. Another problem arises during application. Most saddle soaps instruct the user to work the lather into the leather. Since loosened dirt is suspended in the lather, it is pushed back into the leather's pores.

Saddle soaps have long been replaced in tanneries by modern emulsions which penetrate, soften and condition with greater ease and stability. the popular myth of saddle soap as a cleaner however persists as modern folklore.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »

Saddle soaps have long been replaced in tanneries by modern emulsions which penetrate, soften and condition with greater ease and stability.
And have you identified a source for obtaining these 'modern emulsions'?   :nixweiss:har!  spyder

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »

Who has a leather seat ?

All Corbin seats are real leather. So far as I know, the top or seating section of all CVO seats is leather. Yours is too whether you believe it or not. Check the center panels and read the spec sheet on H-D's website. We also have some site members with $3k seats that were custom made and believe me dude, they're leather. That's the whole point of this thread- - - - - how do people protect their investment.

S'anyway, I did the Lexol thing to my Corbin yesterday  Cleaner then treatment. Could not believe how dirty a seat I thought was clean really was. Man that open grain leather Corbin uses really soaks up the treatment too.

B B
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:55:00 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »

All Corbin seats are real leather. So far as I know, the top or seating section of all CVO seats is leather. Yours is too whether you believe it or not. Check the center panels and read the spec sheet on H-D's website. We also have some site members with $3k seats that were custom made and believe me dude, they're leather. That's the whole point of this thread- - - - - how do people protect their investment.

S'anyway, I did the Lexol thing to my Corbin yesterday  Cleaner then treatment. Could not believe how dirty a seat I thought was clean really was. Man that open grain leather Corbin uses really soaks up the treatment too.

B B
You said a mouthful there Spyder-I cleaned my 6 week old seat and was shocked at the dirt-then I fed it some of the H-D beeswax glop-I'll buff that out tomorrow and voila better. I still think the seat is one of the weaksest links in the CVO chain considering the INVESTMENT!!!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

And have you identified a source for obtaining these 'modern emulsions'?   :nixweiss:har!  spyder
Yeah, there's a millioin of them, Leather replenishers, I like the Meguirs wipes, not too expensive and easy to use.

3k Seats?? you gotta be outta your ever lovin mind!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »

3k Seats?? you gotta be outta your ever lovin mind!

Maybe more. Check out Alligator Bob on the web. My original set for the 03 SERK pictured in his ads which SCRM-R now owns was purported to have cost $8k new for bags and seat. AB made them for himself I believe and sold them to a friend, who sold them to me and then I sold them to SCRM-R, who by the way is not the only site member with Alligator Bob handiwork.You reach a point where there's nothing more to chrome, wheels don't do it for you, you name it, you've been there done that. If you're totally into it as some of us are, you go in search of something off the charts. So expensive or unique, nobody else has it. Not for everybody I'll admit, but if you've ever had something like this and pulled into a crowded parking lot full of Harleys, you'd understand.

B B

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 06:08:02 PM »

Maybe more. Check out Alligator Bob on the web. My original set for the 03 SERK pictured in his ads which SCRM-R now owns was purported to have cost $8k new for bags and seat. AB made them for himself I believe and sold them to a friend, who sold them to me and then I sold them to SCRM-R, who by the way is not the only site member with Alligator Bob handiwork.You reach a point where there's nothing more to chrome, wheels don't do it for you, you name it, you've been there done that. If you're totally into it as some of us are, you go in search of something off the charts. So expensive or unique, nobody else has it. Not for everybody I'll admit, but if you've ever had something like this and pulled into a crowded parking lot full of Harleys, you'd understand.

B B

Thats insanity man, insanity! But like I always say, to each his own!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »

On my super glide I used Son of a Gun. My gut is telling me that is not a good idea for the SERK 08 leather. I just used the HD dressing given to me when purchased bike on the seat.

Looking at getting the wipes myself. but is Son of a gun good? I also like cheap, its bad enough the kids have to share trade off when they eat dinner due to gas pricess..
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »

On my Corbin seat I use the HD leather cleaner(only because I have some left over) and the Waterproof Beeswax 7 Oz
"Camp Dry" Beeswax Waterproofer.  Leave the bike in the sun to warm the leather (you can warm the leather with a hair dryer) rub the wax in let it soak, the buff it out.  The wax may get wet again when left in the sun, I keep a 100% cotton cloth in a saddle bag and buff the seat out. 
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »

I have a problem maybe you guys can help me with. Because I have an artificial knee in one leg and an artificial hip in the other, getting on LD is a chore at times. As such, I have scuffed my Corbin in the same place with the sole of my boots enough that the finish is marred. Any ideas how to fix this ?

B B

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 11:15:47 AM »

I have a problem maybe you guys can help me with. Because I have an artificial knee in one leg and an artificial hip in the other, getting on LD is a chore at times. As such, I have scuffed my Corbin in the same place with the sole of my boots enough that the finish is marred. Any ideas how to fix this ?

B B
Depending on bad it is Brian I would consider taking it to a good leather repairman or a horse tack shop to ensure a consistant color for the fix. These guys are capable to fix these types of issues readily.

Howie

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »

YOU USED TO BE ABLE TO GET A LEATHER STICK REPAIR KIT IN DIFFERENT COLOURS. IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A MAGIC MARKER PEN. IF YOUR SEAT IS BLACK TRY AN ACTUAL PERMANENT BLACK MAGIC MARKER.

B B

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

If the leather isn't worn through, you can use Doc Bailey's or leather dye.  Then treat it with a preservative. 
I recently stumbled across the best stuff I've ever seen for leather.  I can't believe how good it makes my jackets, vests and chaps look and feel.  It's called Obenauf's Leather Oil.  They also make a product called LP (for leather protector).  And they have a silicone water proof product -(I haven't tried that one yet).  Here's a link to their web site:  www.obenaufs.com
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »

Kinda funny story...kinda stupid, ok - really stupid.

We had a Marine up in Cherry Point (Air Wing - go figure) who put some kind of dressing on his seat that made it so slippery he fell off riding it...   :stars:

DOH!

Sean

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

Kinda funny story...kinda stupid, ok - really stupid.

We had a Marine up in Cherry Point (Air Wing - go figure) who put some kind of dressing on his seat that made it so slippery he fell off riding it...   :stars:

DOH!

Sean
You think that is bad try putting some Armor All on your windshield wipers. :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »

If the leather isn't worn through, you can use Doc Bailey's or leather dye.  Then treat it with a preservative. 
I recently stumbled across the best stuff I've ever seen for leather.  I can't believe how good it makes my jackets, vests and chaps look and feel.  It's called Obenauf's Leather Oil.  They also make a product called LP (for leather protector).  And they have a silicone water proof product -(I haven't tried that one yet).  Here's a link to their web site:  www.obenaufs.com

Thanks for jogging my brain. Hank has some Doc Bailey's

B B

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »

In the past i have used "Doc Baileys" on my 06 CUSE Tour box and seat, Looked great but after being in the sun a couple of times the shade of the leather turned a dark plum color so call it ?? i think of it being a dye base it actually changed color being in the elements, Switched to "Lexol" Using cleaner first to clean thoroughly and applied conditioner, No probloms with color change what so ever, Now i apply the conditioner every time i clean (twice monthly)  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »

Hey MrD, was the 'plum' color only noticible in the sun?  Sounds like it wasn't too noticeable.......(might go well with my 'Huckleberry')  har!  spyder

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »

Hey MrD, was the 'plum' color only noticible in the sun?  Sounds like it wasn't too noticeable.......(might go well with my 'Huckleberry')  har!  spyder

It was most noticable in the sun, However in my garage i have a abundant of fluorescent lightting for visability, I could notice it but not as much. Yeah it would go well with your 'Huckleberry'  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 21 queries.