Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Making Chrome Shiny  (Read 17909 times)

skydiverbob

• Man, I just wanna RIDE!
Making Chrome Shiny
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

There's so much stuff out there on the market it's really freakin, fruckin hard to choose what's best to make chrome mirror shiny.

The pastes mostly have an abrasive base that I want to stay away from.  That creates scratches I would think.

Some folks say Windex is best.  But that also strips away any good corrosion protection that some other things might leave behind.

There's Bombs Away.  How good is that stuff really?  Mothers, Glare, etc., the list goes on.  And then there's S100 Polishing Soap...  

Please guys, help me out here.   Thank you!
  :mango: :bananarock: :orange: :pineapple: :apple:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:32:24 PM by skydiverbob »
Blue Skies and soft landings!
And as JP says, "Share the love"...

Dionicio

Re: Making Chrome Shiny
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »

Try Lemon Pledge, works great on chrome , paint, and everything else.

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »

I have used for years & still do, just plain old Isopropyl Alcohol which you can buy at the Dollar Stores very cheap. Alcohol works great & leaves no residue or streaks behind. Just my $.02 worth :-)

Dionicio

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »

Stupid question , what technique do You use to clean the bike using alcohol?   Thanks.

skydiverbob

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »

Try Lemon Pledge, works great on chrome , paint, and everything else.

I use Lemon Pledge on my coffee table.  I don't know if I'd like the wax on my bike though.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html.
Let me know what you think.  I'd like to hear your objective response.

Peace...Robert!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:36:01 AM »

I use Lemon Pledge on my coffee table.  I don't know if I'd like the wax on my bike though.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html.
Let me know what you think.  I'd like to hear your objective response.

Peace...Robert!

Everything you wanted to know about detailing but were afraid to ask! Even more!!! For me anyway, but good info! Cool link! Thanks for posting it man! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skydiverbob

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »

I have used for years & still do, just plain old Isopropyl Alcohol which you can buy at the Dollar Stores very cheap. Alcohol works great & leaves no residue or streaks behind. Just my $.02 worth :-)

Thanks for the reply.

I can see where this would take off any film or residue.  If the first wipe is still streaking then there's some dirt or whatever still left behind.  I would like to also have some corrosion protection left behind especially during the winter months.  It gets cold and damp, even in the garage.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html - and please let me know what you think.  I know some of it is advertisements but I also believe that there's some good techniques here worth trying out.

Peace...Robert!

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »

What I was referring to cleaning with the Alcohol is the chrome.....thats all. Definitely don't suggest using
it anywhere else.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I can see where this would take off any film or residue.  If the first wipe is still streaking then there's some dirt or whatever still left behind.  I would like to also have some corrosion protection left behind especially during the winter months.  It gets cold and damp, even in the garage.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html - and please let me know what you think.  I know some of it is advertisements but I also believe that there's some good techniques here worth trying out.

Peace...Robert!

Thanks for the great link on detailing a bike! I'll have to try some of those products.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

:cherry:
Some of ya might be startled at this recommendation,  but when cleaning chrome (assuming a good chrome finish),  0000 steel wool works great and will NOT scratch the chrome unless you are really leaning on the pad.  It cuts thru the scum or whatever that might be on the chrome and takes half the time of most other solutions.  000 and 0000 steel wool is used to put the finishing touches on already stained woodwork for the final "buff".......

Having made this recommendation in the past,  I know from experience some will say (no way!),  but hey......spend how ever much time you want to get the "same" end results I can and have with my bikes and street rod. :drink:

skydiverbob

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »

What I was referring to cleaning with the Alcohol is the chrome.....thats all. Definitely don't suggest using
it anywhere else.

I understood that.  I'll try that one day just before a ride.  But if my bike is put away for some time I believe it should also have some corrosion protection as well.  Some kind of sealer...

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »

Well skydiverbob I totally agree with you, that when putting the bike up for the winter you should have some kind of sealer on both the paint & chrome.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »

I know this is off the subject, But have you heard anything good or bad about the MB Fall Rally, We stayed in N. Myrtle Beach this year and had the best time out of the last 9 rallies we have been to there. Capt. Poo's and Drawbridge has Suck Bang Blow or any other place like that beat hands down, can't forget Harold's at the Beach either.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »

:cherry:
I agree with Poohs being a major spot during the Rallys.  I live about 12 miles away from there (Sunset Beach).  As I have indicated in another post here somewhere........If you show up at Poohs (on your CVO) and if you are lucky enough to be there at the same time as Pado.......you'll get a free beer out of him :drink:

Don't forget about H.B. Spokes out on Rt 9 too.  Only about a 3 or 4 mile ride from Poohs or Swing bridge.

skydiverbob

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »

Well skydiverbob I totally agree with you, that when putting the bike up for the winter you should have some kind of sealer on both the paint & chrome.

Thanks for keeping up on this subject matter.  Have a great weekend.  Peace!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.