Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Making Chrome Shiny  (Read 17912 times)

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Making Chrome Shiny
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »

I agree totally....have lived in Myrtle Beach now for almost 5 years. And even when there's no rally going, Capt. Poo's, Swingbridge, Harolds on the Ocean & all the watering holes down in Little River at the waterfront are AWESOME!!! The South-End of Myrtle Beach has alot more drama, fights, and bullchit IMHO. The police down here really monitor the South-End closely & have no mercy on you if you step out of line in the smallest of ways!

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Unless someone has a very good understanding of how to use steel wool on chrome they better stay away. When used on wood it works just as high quality sandpaper and does require buffing to remove the micro scratches. You can't buff chrome, it just retains the micro scratches forever and the sun magnifies them. Use good chrome polish if you get that much crap on your chrome, not sure how anyone could maintain the chrome on a regular basis and get enough dirt/muck to require steel wool to "sand" it away, but if you do, try micro fiber applicator and chrome polish, MUCH safer.

skydiverbob

• Man, I just wanna RIDE!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

Unless someone has a very good understanding of how to use steel wool on chrome they better stay away. When used on wood it works just as high quality sandpaper and does require buffing to remove the micro scratches. You can't buff chrome, it just retains the micro scratches forever and the sun magnifies them. Use good chrome polish if you get that much crap on your chrome, not sure how anyone could maintain the chrome on a regular basis and get enough dirt/muck to require steel wool to "sand" it away, but if you do, try micro fiber applicator and chrome polish, MUCH safer.
My bike would have to be pretty ratty before I used steel wool.  By that time I would either get new pipes, a new bike, or a new wife.
Blue Skies and soft landings!
And as JP says, "Share the love"...

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »

Visited a friend in Texas this spring that has enough toys & $$$$ that he has a detail man to keep his stuff lookin good.Gave us a lesson while we were there. 000  steelwool & Harley chrome polish . I have had mufflers grungy enough to try it,but but not since I got the tip
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

this is the schnizzle...red for dirty, blue for polish sealer, used on my boats, when I had em...

SmileMaker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 97 FLSTS Blue & White
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »

Second the Wenol

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

I will third the Wenol
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Trigger

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »

Any type of pure carnuba wax.  I use mothers pure carnuba.  Just let the engine cool and wax on and wax off.

For the black portion of the block where it is rough, I just spray on a pure silicone spray.

Cheers

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »

:cherry:
I too have used Wenol both red and blue for many yrs,  on my streetrod polished wheels and elsewhere.....but,  this comment I don't think is (quite) right....."this is the schnizzle...red for dirty, blue for polish sealer,"

The word (sealer) should not be there in my opinion.  Wenol makes a tube of wax to apply after you use either red or blue or both ahead of it.   I can tell ya from experience that without a final coat of good wax,  the polished wheels will not last nearly as long before requiring a re-do all over again. :drink:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 07:52:28 AM »

Dang! I used to use wd40 for a cleaner, wenol blue for a finish...dang!   :huepfenjump3:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 09:12:24 AM »

so i'm the only one using baby oil on chrome. :drink:

besides being shiny, she has the scent of a new born baby.

TN

edit:   http://blog.ashfordchroming.com/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:20:18 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »

so i'm the only one using baby oil on chrome. :drink:

besides being shiny, she has the scent of a new born baby.

I don't recall that being a particularly good smell.

Ultra2010

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »

use to spray on Safeway "Clean and Shine" on the dark engine areas and just leave it, worked very good, also used it all over the bike but had to wipe it off.......... don't know if they make it anymore, now I just use water and elbow grease..........  but I'm not really into doing the huge bike show cleaning, I usually wash it weekly, more when I get caught in the rain, so I don't have a heavy buildup of chit.  I do have some HD stuff for bugs on the fairing and lowers but it seems like it does not work all that well....  placing a hot wet rag on the areas with bugs and chit buildup then rinsing it off seems to work better.  Guess the older I get, the lazier I get about it.  But maybe now I'll have to change my ways, having just bought a bike with more chrome and nicer paint than I've ever had before.... :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

rkpultrase

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:59 AM »

Harley bright chrome cleaner is the best. Easy on and off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.