Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Making Chrome Shiny  (Read 17911 times)

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
Re: Making Chrome Shiny
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »

windex does a great job

OK.....this isn't the first time windex was suggested....you got me.....I will try it on the rims....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 03:44:36 AM »

If I may make a point. Before you worry about the myriad of cleaners, polishes, and waxes...Lets talk about what must happen before you get to that point.

My experience comes from maintaining Two white vehicles, 2007 Z51 Vette, and an 07 SEUC, plus shinning bikes since 1974.

When you buy your vehicle, if it has any Chorme or is light in color i.e. White, change the brake pads to ceramic as soon as your pocket book will allow.

If you don't, you must ensure that all the brake dust is removed from any chrome surface or white paint before the dust is allowed to get moist or damp and sit for any extended period of time.

Typically when you run your hand over your wheels or the inside of your pipes and feel a distinct rough texture, as if lightly dragging a microfiber rag across your rough hand, it is brake dust rusting.

I was told by two car dealers that the tiny numerous rust spots on my vehicles white paint was "Rail dust". That may have been true in some cases, but my vehicles were never on any train.

Another thing to consider; if you drag a rag across anything that has brake dust on it and then mix it with any of the compounds mention throughout this thread, you WILL scratch your chrome forever. As one poster put it "You can't buff out scratches in Chrome". I know this because of the massive amount of brake dust on the Corvette front wheels. As this car is a daily driver and I don't pay enough attention to the wheels, they are pitted and scratched from brake dust and elbow grease of trying to get rid of it...It really sucks.

Metal brake pads are the devil to Chrome. If your garage or area of the country you live in has high humidity, then you need to be extra attentive.

Just my two cents.
Unapologetically American!

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »

Glare has got my recommendation to shine chrome.  Its a lot of work but very impressive shine.

Gamecock

• 08 Inferno SE2
  • 08 SSSE

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno
    • CVO2: tbd
    • CVO3: tbd
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

I've been using Turtle Wax Chrome Polish in all the chrome, followed by Turtle Wax's ICE wax products. After 6 months, I still have a great shine on all my chrome and no scratches. I wash the bike when any film is on it, and use the ICE spray and the shine persists. I do keep the bike in the garage so it does not accumulate weather residue. The bike stays immaculate. Even dust comes off easily with a light hose spray and dry with an electric leaf blower.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »

Definitely a wide variety of opinions... lol

And what is the best things for those who aren't smart enough to keep their boots off their pipes?  :confused5:

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 12:32:19 AM »

And what is the best things for those who aren't smart enough to keep their boots off their pipes?  :confused5:

A Car!
Unapologetically American!

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 03:13:33 AM »

I have a pair of "Old School" style engineer boots that have leather for the heel, and leather for the sole backing. The really nice thing is the sole itself is a Vibram sole. Very high melting point and are oil resistant. Bought these boots years ago in El Paso. I think they are "Chippewah" brand. Anyway they have only left one mark on my pipes, and that seemed like dye/polish and "Bug Slide" cleaned it right up.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »

:cherry:
A lot of good info here,  but also a lot of (unnecessary usages of "polish"),  To my way of thinking chrome is ALREADY SHINY!!!!!!!!!   It starts out that way and if it's kept clean,  it stays that way.  Dried bugs, crap and dirt need to be washed off and stubborn spots (like dried bugs), need a cleaner and some elbow grease, etc. and you're back in business.   Then a coat of wax will extend the time you need to do it again.

Usage of Wenol and so many of the other recommended "polishes" here are really for polishing mag wheels,  aluminum wheels, etc.  to get the tarnish off and then follow with wax.   Using much of this stuff on (chrome) is imo a waste of the product :drink:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »

:cherry:
A lot of good info here,  but also a lot of (unnecessary usages of "polish"),  To my way of thinking chrome is ALREADY SHINY!!!!!!!!!   It starts out that way and if it's kept clean,  it stays that way.  Dried bugs, crap and dirt need to be washed off and stubborn spots (like dried bugs), need a cleaner and some elbow grease, etc. and you're back in business.   Then a coat of wax will extend the time you need to do it again.

Usage of Wenol and so many of the other recommended "polishes" here are really for polishing mag wheels,  aluminum wheels, etc.  to get the tarnish off and then follow with wax.   Using much of this stuff on (chrome) is imo a waste of the product :drink:
That goes back to what I've read about keeping chrome 'clean' and just let it 'breath' and it'll last longer and shine just as much.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 02:53:59 AM »

This is all you need it takes care of the wind shield,paint,chrome my glide is 9 years old it has never been waxed and i show it a couple times a year 3 m Imperial hand glaze is  all  thats   been on it since new , it will take swirls out it has no grit no wax and no silicone, a friend of mine won a national champingship in the national street rod ascoseation and was voted street rod of the year by popular Hot Rodding mag it has never had nothing but 3 m Imperial hand glaze the only place you can buy it is a 3m dealer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:34:17 AM by OTIS »
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »

Better pic
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:46 AM »

This is all you need it takes care of the wind shield,paint,chrome my glide is 9 years old it has never been waxed and i show it a couple times a year 3 m Imperial hand glaze is  all  thats   been on it since new , it will take swirls out it has no grit no wax and no silicone, a friend of mine won a national champingship in the national street rod ascoseation and was voted street rod of the year by popular Hot Rodding mag it has never had nothing but 3 m Imperial hand glaze the only place you can buy it is a 3m dealer.
I believe I've seen that in use a time or two. :2vrolijk_21: ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:57 AM »

Hard to argue with someone that disassembles his scoot to clean it.  ;D har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »

Yea I understand that it is hard to believe but the Glare on chrome gives a mirror quality that the un-polished chrome can't match.  Once you've applied the Glare to chrome per instructions the road grime rinses off with no effort.  When I first started using it on the exhaust I first cleaned the mufflers then applied the Glare to just one for a comparision.  You could use the Glared one for a mirror.  No I don't work for Glare just amazed at the shine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.