Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Looking for good quality Microfiber cloths  (Read 6754 times)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Looking for good quality Microfiber cloths
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »

A lot of clearcoat scratches come from using the wrong detergents or cleaners, soap, etc. Laundry liquid soap can actually remove some of the clearcoat and other soaps can damage clearcoat too... Always use good quality car or bike wash soap, plenty of water, and don't rub with the hemmed edges. (or cut the edges off first), LOL..

jb

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »

Other than tags or hemmed edging, is there really any difference in the high dollar microfiber polishing cloths and the bulk buys sold at discount stores?  Other than the obvious: price, size, colors, etc.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »

+1 on Griot's Garage...Pricey but best out there..
2011 FLHXSE2

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »

+1 on Griot's Garage...Pricey but best out there..
What do you mean by 'best' David?  Higher thread count, softer, larger, ????  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »

Definitely softer and thicker than the stuff I've picked up in the past from auto parts and Walmart. Side by side to me the Griots stuff just seems better. Some of the Walmart stuff seems thin and stiff in comparison. I'm no textile expert but the Griots cloths just feel better. Even the drying cloth seems better. Just my opinion though. This is what I bought from them for the new Street Glide:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/three+micro+fiber+polish+removal+cloths.do

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaning+tools/micro+fiber+speed+shine+cloths+set+of+3.do

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+drying/micro+fiber+drying+towel.do
2011 FLHXSE2

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:45 AM »

thanks.  That's kinda what I figured, thicker, thus softer.  Maybe larger also.  My thinking is that the bulk cheaper ones at Sams Club meet my needs ok, 'cause I like to change them often, so I go thru a lot in normal applications, whether wiping, polishing, drying, or whatever and so then into the laundry they go.  Only to start the cycle all over again.  I guess I'm sacrificing quality for cleaniness (quanity).  The ultimate would be to spring for a whole bunch of the higher quality Griots.  Just haven't made that move.  Now, my biggest problem is keeping my wife from absonding with them for household polishing/dusting cloths.  I also use a permanent magic marker to indicate ones that I use in dirty areas in case they don't come as clean, so I don't chance something becoming embedded that might scratch on the next application of polishing.  Still was hard to give up the old t-shirts for polishing tho.  ::) har.  spyder

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

hogasm

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:45:03 AM »

Now that I see that there are so many different microfiber towels, mitts etc.....what towels do you use for each segment of your detail

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »

I am waving the B.S. flag.  I am anal as anyone when it comes to keeping my bike clean and I have been through several packages of microfibers from Costco.  My bike has no scratches.

Ditto!  :soapbox:

The one thing ya gotta watch with these cloths it to rinse...rinse....rinse!

If you do end up with swirl marks i have used this product (see link) for years and many different paint jobs. USE WITH CHEESE CLOTH BY HAND. :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SWIRL+16
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »

Ditto!  :soapbox:

The one thing ya gotta watch with these cloths it to rinse...rinse....rinse!

That is my technique also.  If you have a bug or spot that is stubborn DON"T pick at it or apply more pressure with the cloth.  Use more liquid...think melt it off rather than scrub it off.
I use quick detailer on my bike all the time.  I first spray the mf and then the bike...lightly wipe and repeat until all is clean.  Lot's of liquid NOT muscle.  Make sure the mf is clean and don't use the edges.

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »

I've only used the Glare towels and can tell you they are better than the cheap ones I got.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »

Now that I see that there are so many different microfiber towels, mitts etc.....what towels do you use for each segment of your detail

I use baby diapers to armorall the leather & plastic & sometimes to wash the wheels.  To get them you have to be quick since their parents get pissed when they catch you going through their diaper bags.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »

I use baby diapers to armorall the leather & plastic & sometimes to wash the wheels.  To get them you have to be quick since their parents get pissed when they catch you going through their diaper bags.

Now that's funny!

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »

I deal with very very high quality paint jobs all the time and the hems on the Costco Microfibers will leave very fine scratches, no B.S.   Talk with any high end detailer and they will tell you the same.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion/1462470-costco-micro-fiber-stay-away.html

Even the folks in your corvette forum agree that the costco MF are just fine!  That scratch test your referencing is on a CD and pretty inconclusive at best; apples to oranges when comparing to the clearcoat!  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.