Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle Lifts  (Read 30159 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Motorcycle Lifts
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »

Hey guys!

I just bought a motorcycle lift that is suspposed to be rated at 1500 lbs (I have a 2013 SERK so it shouldn't be a problem). It seems to me the bike is a little unstable and wants to rock back and forth while on the lift. Not a lot but just enough to make me worry. Will straps help stabilize the bike? I/m not sure where exactly I would hook them to. I looked at putting some jack stands under it but I didn't see anyplace that looked "solid". What do you guys do?

Thanks!

Evo

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
Re: Motorcycle Lifts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »

I have the Pitbull Dyna stand with rotating turntable.  It is very stable since the base holds most of the bottom frame. I also have the craftsman yellow lift that I use sometimes and while it isn't as stable as the Pitbull I have never had to strap either of my bikes down on it. I think once you get used to the bike's movement on the stand you'll grow more comfortable with it.  Strapping it down will definitely provide more security.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »

i use a j&s jack which is rock solid without any additional straps.

but, back when i had an 'el cheapo' jack that i bought from pep boys, i ran a strap across the bike, over the seat.  on the support legs, there were a couple of welded hooks that i could hook the strap to on each side.  if it still wants to rock a bit after doing that, you could always lower it enough so that the back tire would hit a jackstand at full extension.  you'd be able to detail most of the bike, and then remove the jackstand to spin the rear wheel for the final bit.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »

X2 on the J&S.  Great jack and very stable.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »

You talking about a table lift or a jack? 

If a table lift can only suggest what I've done.  Don't be afraid to drill holes in the thing.  Places to mount ratcheting straps on the rear, a ride on chock on the front and other holes to run tie down ratchet straps to front and rear as needed depending on what you are putting on or taking off to maintain stability.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

You may want to check out Bubba's post:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=94205.0
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »

Which table lift did you buy? I'm looking to pull the trigger on one very soon. If you look around  various sites and/or images you'll see docking points up front on some table lifts used to tie the bike down. As mentioned, you can always drill it and put some eye hooks or such on the table to assist you in strapping down the bike so its more secure.

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »

I have a Titan lift that is pretty stable, but still rocks a little. The best money I ever spent was a scissors jack. $70 on eBay. I use it all the time. In fact I am selling the table lift cause it takes up too much room in garage and I don't use it enough. The scissors jack is bar-none the best way to clean the bike.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 04:35:20 AM »

Which table lift did you buy? I'm looking to pull the trigger on one very soon. If you look around  various sites and/or images you'll see docking points up front on some table lifts used to tie the bike down. As mentioned, you can always drill it and put some eye hooks or such on the table to assist you in strapping down the bike so its more secure.

I bought a jack, not a table. I like it because it is light and doesn't take up too much room. It lifts the bike no problem but it just feels like the thing is gonna fall off any second. At least it causes me to get it cleaned up fast! Here is a link to the one I bought:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-60636.html

Evo

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »

I bought a jack, not a table. I like it because it is light and doesn't take up too much room. It lifts the bike no problem but it just feels like the thing is gonna fall off any second. At least it causes me to get it cleaned up fast! Here is a link to the one I bought:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-60636.html

Evo

This is the minimum you should have considered re. lift type jack.  JMO

http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

Do it now!

Owner of Skye

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »

I have a Goodyear Racing Jack I got from Costco for less than 100 dollars (about 8 years old) -- this past weekend I used it to replace both tires on the bike -- -- in the 8 years I have used it to replace both tires several times -- however, this last weekend I just did not feel confident in the way it felt as I lifted the bike high enough to pull the rear wheel -- seemed like the bike rocked way more that usual -- I got the job done, but it has really made me start to look at the J and S jack -- especially after viewing the video comparing the J and S with the Pitbull

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

so witch is better pitbull or j&s

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

I like the J&S / But I never had a Pitbull.
DND

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

I just looked at the link you provided and read the reviews on it. Boy it makes it seem like it should handle your bike no problem.

Just wondering, do you have a center stand?

If not, perhaps try shifting the lift a little to see if you can change how the weight balances

Personally I use a J&S
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 07:08:42 PM »

I just looked at the link you provided and read the reviews on it. Boy it makes it seem like it should handle your bike no problem.

Just wondering, do you have a center stand?

If not, perhaps try shifting the lift a little to see if you can change how the weight balances

Personally I use a J&S

Yeah it lifts the bike easily and has a good locking pin to make sure it doesn't collapse. I just feel like it is a bit "wobbly" but I think most of that is paranoia! I did a through polishing of all the chrome and there was no problem but I wouldn't dare try to climb on it while it was up there. I wish there was room for a set of jackstands but I tried that and the jack is in the way. I don't think I would remove either wheel while it was up there either. I wish I would have done more research and bought a better jack like the ones some of you did, maybe next time!

evo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.