Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Motorcycle Lifts  (Read 30160 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Motorcycle Lifts
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »

Hey guys!

I just bought a motorcycle lift that is suspposed to be rated at 1500 lbs (I have a 2013 SERK so it shouldn't be a problem). It seems to me the bike is a little unstable and wants to rock back and forth while on the lift. Not a lot but just enough to make me worry. Will straps help stabilize the bike? I/m not sure where exactly I would hook them to. I looked at putting some jack stands under it but I didn't see anyplace that looked "solid". What do you guys do?

Thanks!

Evo

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
Re: Motorcycle Lifts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »

I have the Pitbull Dyna stand with rotating turntable.  It is very stable since the base holds most of the bottom frame. I also have the craftsman yellow lift that I use sometimes and while it isn't as stable as the Pitbull I have never had to strap either of my bikes down on it. I think once you get used to the bike's movement on the stand you'll grow more comfortable with it.  Strapping it down will definitely provide more security.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »

i use a j&s jack which is rock solid without any additional straps.

but, back when i had an 'el cheapo' jack that i bought from pep boys, i ran a strap across the bike, over the seat.  on the support legs, there were a couple of welded hooks that i could hook the strap to on each side.  if it still wants to rock a bit after doing that, you could always lower it enough so that the back tire would hit a jackstand at full extension.  you'd be able to detail most of the bike, and then remove the jackstand to spin the rear wheel for the final bit.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »

X2 on the J&S.  Great jack and very stable.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »

You talking about a table lift or a jack? 

If a table lift can only suggest what I've done.  Don't be afraid to drill holes in the thing.  Places to mount ratcheting straps on the rear, a ride on chock on the front and other holes to run tie down ratchet straps to front and rear as needed depending on what you are putting on or taking off to maintain stability.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

You may want to check out Bubba's post:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=94205.0
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »

Which table lift did you buy? I'm looking to pull the trigger on one very soon. If you look around  various sites and/or images you'll see docking points up front on some table lifts used to tie the bike down. As mentioned, you can always drill it and put some eye hooks or such on the table to assist you in strapping down the bike so its more secure.

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »

I have a Titan lift that is pretty stable, but still rocks a little. The best money I ever spent was a scissors jack. $70 on eBay. I use it all the time. In fact I am selling the table lift cause it takes up too much room in garage and I don't use it enough. The scissors jack is bar-none the best way to clean the bike.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 04:35:20 AM »

Which table lift did you buy? I'm looking to pull the trigger on one very soon. If you look around  various sites and/or images you'll see docking points up front on some table lifts used to tie the bike down. As mentioned, you can always drill it and put some eye hooks or such on the table to assist you in strapping down the bike so its more secure.

I bought a jack, not a table. I like it because it is light and doesn't take up too much room. It lifts the bike no problem but it just feels like the thing is gonna fall off any second. At least it causes me to get it cleaned up fast! Here is a link to the one I bought:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-60636.html

Evo

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »

I bought a jack, not a table. I like it because it is light and doesn't take up too much room. It lifts the bike no problem but it just feels like the thing is gonna fall off any second. At least it causes me to get it cleaned up fast! Here is a link to the one I bought:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-60636.html

Evo

This is the minimum you should have considered re. lift type jack.  JMO

http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

Do it now!

Owner of Skye

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »

I have a Goodyear Racing Jack I got from Costco for less than 100 dollars (about 8 years old) -- this past weekend I used it to replace both tires on the bike -- -- in the 8 years I have used it to replace both tires several times -- however, this last weekend I just did not feel confident in the way it felt as I lifted the bike high enough to pull the rear wheel -- seemed like the bike rocked way more that usual -- I got the job done, but it has really made me start to look at the J and S jack -- especially after viewing the video comparing the J and S with the Pitbull

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

so witch is better pitbull or j&s

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

I like the J&S / But I never had a Pitbull.
DND

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

I just looked at the link you provided and read the reviews on it. Boy it makes it seem like it should handle your bike no problem.

Just wondering, do you have a center stand?

If not, perhaps try shifting the lift a little to see if you can change how the weight balances

Personally I use a J&S
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 07:08:42 PM »

I just looked at the link you provided and read the reviews on it. Boy it makes it seem like it should handle your bike no problem.

Just wondering, do you have a center stand?

If not, perhaps try shifting the lift a little to see if you can change how the weight balances

Personally I use a J&S

Yeah it lifts the bike easily and has a good locking pin to make sure it doesn't collapse. I just feel like it is a bit "wobbly" but I think most of that is paranoia! I did a through polishing of all the chrome and there was no problem but I wouldn't dare try to climb on it while it was up there. I wish there was room for a set of jackstands but I tried that and the jack is in the way. I don't think I would remove either wheel while it was up there either. I wish I would have done more research and bought a better jack like the ones some of you did, maybe next time!

evo

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »

You talking about a table lift or a jack? 

If a table lift can only suggest what I've done.  Don't be afraid to drill holes in the thing.  Places to mount ratcheting straps on the rear, a ride on chock on the front and other holes to run tie down ratchet straps to front and rear as needed depending on what you are putting on or taking off to maintain stability.
Good advice.  I bought mine from Greg Smith Equipment.   Scrapped the chock that came with it for a Condor.  Added some eye hooks for straps. 

It is so much easier doing anything on the bike when I can raise the table 43".   There's no crawling around on the cold concrete any more. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »

Good advice.  I bought mine from Greg Smith Equipment.   Scrapped the chock that came with it for a Condor.  Added some eye hooks for straps. 

It is so much easier doing anything on the bike when I can raise the table 43".   There's no crawling around on the cold concrete any more.

I love the Condor chock added to mine.  I still put a couple of straps (each side) on the rear.  But it is so nice to just ride up on the lift and the bike stands there.  Nothing to do with your feet, no balance to gain anywhere, nothing to engage, wind, clamp or strap.  It's just there.  I love being lazy so much. 

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 05:14:25 AM »

I have a pretty good jack but I always use a 10" stack of plywood I cut into 1' squared under the rear tire to help stabilyze the bike.  Just gives me piece of mind.  Although you still gotta be careful not to have a brain fart or you could sill loose the bike while letting it down if you dont set the jack lock first.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »

I love the Condor chock added to mine.  I still put a couple of straps (each side) on the rear.  But it is so nice to just ride up on the lift and the bike stands there.  Nothing to do with your feet, no balance to gain anywhere, nothing to engage, wind, clamp or strap.  It's just there.  I love being lazy so much.

TLR,
Which model Condor chock did you install on your table lift? Is it the SC-2000? I'm looking to purchase a table lift soon and like the idea. A quick search on Amazon showed a few different models of the Condor chock. There website, I could only find the SC-2000.

Thanks, Erich.

vipersniper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

What I do is use my 4 post car lift, I have two sons both with harleys so I attached two wheel chocks on it and we tie the bikes down, lift  them up and down to do work or clean with no worries works out really great.. Only problem is rail in the front and rear of the lift you have to duck under or climb over a rail to get in the center to work on one side of the bike.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »

TLR,
Which model Condor chock did you install on your table lift? Is it the SC-2000? I'm looking to purchase a table lift soon and like the idea. A quick search on Amazon showed a few different models of the Condor chock. There website, I could only find the SC-2000.

Thanks, Erich.

I'm sorry Erich.  I had a brain fart earlier.  On my lift (and in the trailer) I don't have the Condor I've got the BikePro.  Slightly smaller footprint but has always done a good job for me.  Used them many years.  Have been around the Condors also at other places and always impressed with how well they worked too.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »

What I do is use my 4 post car lift, I have two sons both with harleys so I attached two wheel chocks on it and we tie the bikes down, lift  them up and down to do work or clean with no worries works out really great.. Only problem is rail in the front and rear of the lift you have to duck under or climb over a rail to get in the center to work on one side of the bike.

That sounds cool....any pics...please

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »

TLR,

Thanks, Erich.
SC-2000 here.  Had I thought ahead I would have gotten the PSTK-6400, which lets you use the chock on the ground as well.
The best you've had is the best you know.

vipersniper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »

That sounds cool....any pics...please

heres a couple I found, we also use it as a bench when working on motors, easy to move them around, rebuild etc just up and down to height where needed. Its actually great for removing a engine from a bike as well.

vipersniper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »

another one:

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »

heres a couple I found, we also use it as a bench when working on motors, easy to move them around, rebuild etc just up and down to height where needed. Its actually great for removing a engine from a bike as well.

now that is cool!!!

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 10:15:44 PM »

Thanks TLR and 05Train, I'll give those a once over.

yanks178

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Citrus
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »

I have an old lift I bought at Sears and it works great.  I strap the bike down just to be safe.  I use the floorboards on each side and have never had a problem, stable as a rock!  I put mine on the lift quite a bit to clean it.  Keeps me from having to bend over (bad back) and easy to clean the wheels!

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 11:26:18 PM »

I have a Pit Bull lift and it is great.  I use it and abuse it, wheel the bike around the garage with no safety straps and sit on the bike at full elevation with no problems.  The lift is solid!  I think it is because the two lift bars are wider apart than the less expensive lifts.
The only downside to the lift is that it is hard to maneuver a mechanic's stool on the lift side due to the lift mechanism hanging out.  I've learned to work around it and if it really was a problem I would simply lift from the other side.
     -Dick-
-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

inferno1976

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary #8
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »

Hey Dicko,  Pitbull makes a turn table you can add on.  That's what I did for the same reasons you described.  It works perfect.  Just swing it around so you can still work from the non-lift mechanism side.

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »

Hey Dicko,  Pitbull makes a turn table you can add on.  That's what I did for the same reasons you described.  It works perfect.  Just swing it around so you can still work from the non-lift mechanism side.
Thanks for reminding me.  I've had my Pitbull for a few years and forgot all about the turntable.  I'll order one tomorrow.
     -Dick-
-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »

The Pitbull is great but if he has the same Sears jack I have it was only about $100. I know I know 30k or more bike on a hundred dollar lift but it has served me well for many years although I really would like a table lift, maybe some day.

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »

My friend has a Sears lift and although it does the job, the lifting arms are too close together making the bike unstable on the lift.  Also, the hydraulic pressure release is either on or off.  You cannot let the bike down gently by just cracking the valve.  If you move it al all it is wide open and the bike comes crashing down.
Just saying...
     -Dick-
-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »

My friend has a Sears lift and although it does the job, the lifting arms are too close together making the bike unstable on the lift.  Also, the hydraulic pressure release is either on or off.  You cannot let the bike down gently by just cracking the valve.  If you move it al all it is wide open and the bike comes crashing down.
Just saying...
     -Dick-
Actually if you are very careful you can ease it down, but then I have had mine for many years and I use tie down straps other than when just cleaning. I also pull the bike up to level by right handlebar when slipping the lift under it. I must admit I need a new one just haven't decided which yet. It's between Pitbull vs J&S or Table.

bjspearman04

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »

Actually if you are very careful you can ease it down, but then I have had mine for many years and I use tie down straps other than when just cleaning. I also pull the bike up to level by right handlebar when slipping the lift under it. I must admit I need a new one just haven't decided which yet. It's between Pitbull vs J&S or Table.
Agee.  Have SEARS lift and she puts my 2013 CVO EG in the air 18 inches.  Would feel better if the arms were wider, but she gets the job done.  And, as mentioned, cracked the arm slightly and she will walk my bike down nicely.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »

Evo

Did you read the disclaimer?
Quickly perform routine maintenance with this handy motorcycle lift
That should give some kind of hint.
I would drill some holes and use tie down straps.
I use a Pitbull jack/lift. Very solid when you find the correct center point then mark your frame for later uses.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:33 PM »

Bump it up! great post...So which is better J&S or Pitbull?

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »

I just purchased a PRO 1200SEMAX MOTORCYCLE LIFT PACKAGE; see this site: http://www.nhproequip.com/. I am very pleased with it. It is very stable, comes with a jack, side extensions, front wheel vise.... read it for yourself. I picked it up and received a discount as well. I believe the price stated on the site is a delivered price. These folks were excellent to work with.

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE hard candy
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE crimson
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSB (sold)
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:31 AM »

I have a J&S. Rock solid jack. I can roll the bike around the shop, jump up and down on it with no straps..no worries. I've never used a pitibull though. It came down to those 2 brands for me as well. J&S is made here in WI...that was the deciding factor for me
Fuel Moto 113 big bore kit, Ward Performance CNC heads, Wood TW-999 cams, SE cam plate, Zippers chain tensioners, Darkhorse lower end, H beam rods, Timken bearing, SE 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, AIM clutch, D&D Boarzilla 2/1, Dynojet Power Vision, Dynojet Target Tune, JRI rear shocks, Legend AXEO front shocks

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 07:32:15 AM »

Wow Firewalker, that PRO 1200SEMAX is one fine lift. I'd never heard of NHPro Equip so never investigated what they offer. BTW, where are you located in Maine if you don't mind me asking?

plustiano - I investigated multiple jacks and eventually focused on J&S & Pitbull. Both appeared excellent and are in the same relative price range. Although the Pitbull lift height and turntable accessory was tempting, I ended up purchasing the J&S because it has a smaller storage footprint. I don't have a garage - constructed a shed where I keep my bikes, so space was an issue. I store it vertically when not in use. I don't think you'd go wrong with either J&S or Pitbull.

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »

Thanks Kiro & Toddwebber I will be going the J&S route. Just tried to call them but went to voicemail though.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »

Agee.  Have SEARS lift and she puts my 2013 CVO EG in the air 18 inches.  Would feel better if the arms were wider, but she gets the job done.  And, as mentioned, cracked the arm slightly and she will walk my bike down nicely.

I have the sears version as well and have used it on many different bikes.  You can drop the bike slowly with no problems. I have to tip the bike on my lower bikes but with the 2014 Limited I can just slide it under and lift her up. I only put the straps on if she is going to sit there for a longer period of time.  Typically I don't put straps on. Works great for what I do. 

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

I too, have a craftsman lift & it works fine. I do strap it if I'm doing any maint ( pushin or pulling on parts or wrenches). I use two 3/4 pieces of plywood to drive onto (under the tires) about 10 " square. this allows the jack to clear as you pull the bike into upright vertical position.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »

I like my J & S!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »

Nice!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »

I've got a $160 life from the local Boomgaars that I have used for 3 years. I leave my bike on it lifter off the concrete for months at a time. It isn't the prettiest or the most hyped but I it gets the job done  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

I seldom use the lift... most of the stuff I can do while the bike is on the center stand.

I have several jacks in case I need them (old photos):

This one is a Harbor Freight aluminum jack... served me well for many years.

and if I ever need a lift this is what I use (old photo, like I said, have not had the need to use it):

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »

Very nice "floor" jack!  You had no problems with the tiles when using the other floor jacks?

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »

Here's mine. I park it on the lift everyday. If I want, it will spin around and to ride it right out. That is the very coolest part.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »

raised

2010FLHTCUSE5

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »

Very nice "floor" jack!  You had no problems with the tiles when using the other floor jacks?

No.  The key is using porcelain tiles... very strong... they have taken everything I have done in the garage... not one has cracked...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2015, 10:45:09 PM »

I would be worried about cracking those floor tiles as well. I guess it depends if they were installed the right way
Fuel Moto 113 big bore kit, Ward Performance CNC heads, Wood TW-999 cams, SE cam plate, Zippers chain tensioners, Darkhorse lower end, H beam rods, Timken bearing, SE 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, AIM clutch, D&D Boarzilla 2/1, Dynojet Power Vision, Dynojet Target Tune, JRI rear shocks, Legend AXEO front shocks

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »

I would be worried about cracking those floor tiles as well. I guess it depends if they were installed the right way

I did the install of the tiles many years ago...

When it came to installing the lift I just drilled through them... nothing, not a single one cracked.  :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:39 AM »

You did a good job installing them then. I've seen some scary installs where they crack just from foot traffic

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »

I have a platform lift and floor jack type depending on what I want to do.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »

I guess that I will have to eat my words...

Just two days ago I started working on the 48 to change the clutch pack... I must be getting old, but having a table lift would have been great for the task.   

I used the small scissor-type jack under the bike to keep it straight... but having that and a table lift to raise it to a comfortable height.  To work while sitting on an adjustable mechanic's seat would have been sooo much better for my legs...

I did the clutch change... and an engine oil change as well... but boy am I sore from this, lol.

So I guess that I will start saving for a table lift... because the two post lift is alway with a car on it...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:50:18 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

mark

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »

Wachuko, that's how I wound up with a table lift...serviced my SG on a motorcycle jack and was so sore the next day.  Told myself I was getting too old to kneel and hunch down like that.  The table lift was well worth the money.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »

It has been mentioned a few times earlier but the Pitbull swivel is about the handyest thing I have bought for the bike. I wash my bike in the garage and it has no drain, so I try to stay close to the door (for drainage). It swivels so easy you can do it with one hand, I just roll the lift up in front of the door, sit on my stool and move the bike in a circle as I wash. Makes for easy, efficent deal. I had a J&S and bought the Pitbull off Craigslist because it was cheap and close to home. I saw an opportunity to make a few bucks, but the J&S is the one I sold, nothing wrong with it, just could not do without the swivel after using it.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »

I guess that I will have to eat my words...

Just two days ago I started working on the 48 to change the clutch pack... I must be getting old, but having a table lift would have been great for the task.   

I used the small scissor-type jack under the bike to keep it straight... but having that and a table lift to raise it to a comfortable height.  To work while sitting on an adjustable mechanic's seat would have been sooo much better for my legs...

I did the clutch change... and an engine oil change as well... but boy am I sore from this, lol.

So I guess that I will start saving for a table lift... because the two post lift is alway with a car on it...

Did you buy the scissor jack like that or did you paint and decal it HD?

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »

Did you buy the scissor jack like that or did you paint and decal it HD?

Bought it in that color and just slapped some stickers on it.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2015, 03:49:22 PM »

Just saw this... Special on them that ends today...299.99. Credit card here it goes...

http://t.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2315b_fd&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c2315b_fd&utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Along with this to replace the one in there now...

But reading the reviews is not encouraging... a lot of comments on the pump/hydraulic bottle failing and not able to get parts... crap...

The one from Redline Engineering is the same one... but they add a different wheel stand/chock and the ability to an air line to activate the pump/hydraulic bottle... but not sure if it is worth the $ (499.95 + shipping which is not cheap for such a heavy item) with the current HF special (that I can pick up locally)... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281165410883?item=281165410883&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:31:22 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »

before you slap that cc down, see if you can find one of them 20% coupons......

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »

Get the 68892 model if they have it, its got a stronger frame than 69904. I have the 68892 and it works perfect even with the big bike on it. The safety bar is garbage (bends) but easily fixed with a trip to the steel yard. HF wouldn't let me use a 20% off on it when it was on sale for $299. Also look at item # 69026 or 60392 for the wheel chock. I removed the bottom plate and bolted it to the deck of the lift.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »

HF wouldn't let me use a 20% off on it when it was on sale for $299.

i've heard of some folks getting lucky and them doing it, while others (probably like me) wouldn't be able to.  it's worth a try though.  i'd love a lift table, but i don't have room for one right now.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »

Get the 68892 model if they have it, its got a stronger frame than 69904. I have the 68892 and it works perfect even with the big bike on it. The safety bar is garbage (bends) but easily fixed with a trip to the steel yard. HF wouldn't let me use a 20% off on it when it was on sale for $299. Also look at item # 69026 or 60392 for the wheel chock. I removed the bottom plate and bolted it to the deck of the lift.

I went with my son to the local store just a few minutes ago, with the intention of buying it, but the bad reviews kept me from pulling the trigger... oh well... I will continue to work on the bikes with what I have.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »

I went with my son to the local store just a few minutes ago, with the intention of buying it, but the bad reviews kept me from pulling the trigger... oh well... I will continue to work on the bikes with what I have.

Very true... the new store that opened close to where I live, would not take it.  But I have been able to use them on the store that I used to go (same situation but on one of those lift table for engines that was on special and the lady there took the discount coupon as well).

Sorry to the OP for the thread hi-jack... back to normal programming
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »

I have an old lift I bought at Sears and it works great.  I strap the bike down just to be safe.  I use the floorboards on each side and have never had a problem, stable as a rock!  I put mine on the lift quite a bit to clean it.  Keeps me from having to bend over (bad back) and easy to clean the wheels!

Yup same one for yrs.The area that the handle pin's in needed to be rewelded cause i rotate the scoot while lifted.Not really designed to do that
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/Dei3and8/client_PART_1440119563505_20150820_202904.jpeg
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:07:38 PM by DALE#3 »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »

Mine just rusted off. I bought the aluminum lift from HF and put my bike on it and even though it said 1500 lbs capacity it barely lifted it then was very unstable lifted so let it down and returned to HF and bought another Sears unit, heavy but much more stable for me.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

I have a Craftsman Lift and I too experienced a failure of the bottle jack that came installed on the lift.  In my opinion I dont think it really worked right from the get go..But I went to Harbour Freight and found a 4ton little bottle and with some drilling and change over, I installed it and now my lift works perfect.  As far as stable, the pads on this jack are wide and long.  I havent really dont have a sense that its going to fall off.  Still yet I do strap it down if I am doing anything more than cleaning and cutting off my pinky..
Glen

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »

Guys,
If you're looking for a new lift, and cant make up your mind, check out this video:

Seems like these guys tried to do an unbiased job and the tests really opened my eyes.
Watch this before you spend your money, it may help you make a better decision.
Myself, I've got an old Craftsman lift that I've never felt really secure using.  This video opened my eyes to my next purchase.  Hope this helps!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »

The video points out a couple of issues to consider that we might not think about, so it's useful. The J&S produced video's clearly not unbiased. "Rocking" the bike certainly looks dramatic compared to "wiggling" the bike.
This video reminds me of a similar pitchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2EyFNCAX3s by Liberty Safe, "comparing" the pry resistance of their unit vs a cheap competitor's gun safe.

I used to have a Larin jack that was similar to the Craftsman, which is obviously not included in this video.
I put in an in-ground lift so I sold the Larin and don't have a dog in this hunt.
The video is a good idea, maybe there are other videos comparing more models.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:51:57 AM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

I just purchased a J and S jack and it really does work well.  Its 10 times better than my old Sears jack and pretty easy to store. 

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »

Its 10 times better than my old Sears jack and pretty easy to store.

I went the same way and purchased a J&S jack - it is a nice device and works well. I have limited space so the reduced footprint of the J&S was a factor in my purchase decision. I store mine vertically against a wall when not in use.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 01:54:53 AM »

Just got the J and S jack, tried it out, rock solid, i wouldn't skimp on getting a good quality jack. J and S is solid.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 02:36:01 AM »

I have the pitbull for about 15 years. Replaced one bottle jack. It does hang up near drain on floor but I just keep it away from there. I have climbed and sat on bike without straps. I also have turn table but don't use it. It blocked some of the drains on my older bikes (pre 2010) so I figured better off without it. Also the space it saved working on the one side really wasn't big deal. As for warranty they are great so far. Replaced the spring on lever a few times and the screws which hold unit to the floor to keep from moving a few times. Seems the threads either rust away or wear off. I wash bike and store all winter on it. Also done a lot of service to a bunch of bikes and never a strap or a problem. I think a Kawasaki was a problem once due to it not being flat underneath but I doubt the other lifts would work.  I also have the harbor freight which gets used rarely and only for small jobs when pitbull is occupied. I used to store a sporty on it. Maybe I will put turn table back on and see if the new 2009 up have drains blocked. I really only worry about tranny drain as the oil and primary can be done just fine on ground. My only concern with pitbull will be if the side rails ever rust through. It's a life time warranty but washing bike on it leaves open ends of support rails exposed and have been rusting for years. Last year I flipped it on side, cleaned it up some and sprayed some rustoleum inside the rails to stop it. Maybe new ones are capped or insides treated. But even if not covered I got 15 years for 450 bucks or so. Not bad and still kicking
Will

tool578

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »

This was the best $210.00 I've spent. Delivered right to your door for that price and your choice of colors. Comes with a removable drain pan that makes dropping fluids a snap. I use a Harbor Freight MC jack to get it up there- Harbor Freight things a cheap for a reason- they're cheap!! Much smaller than an entire lift and easily stores under my work bench when not in use. Very stable work platform for sure! Contact Bagg It Hard Customs at (480) 228-3584.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2015, 02:03:48 PM »

Just moved to Colorado from Kauai (one road around the island doesn't work for touring ...LOL). Heavy stuff is too costly to move, so I sold my Craftsman jack and upon arrival in Colorado took delivery of a J&S jack. This jack is sturdy and stable .........far better than the Craftsman and IMHO worth the extra cost :2vrolijk_21:. Got mine for 50% off shipping plus one free accessory. Although that sale appears to be over, they appear to offer a discount to Veterans.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »

They do give another 5% to veterans.

You have to call in to get that discount.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 21 queries.