Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Cleaning around radio and speakers  (Read 10405 times)

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Cleaning around radio and speakers
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »

How A-Bout-A-Q-Tip
 :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
Sawyer Ghost

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »

I also get somewhat concerned about using the blower to dry the bike.....I've actually had experiences where forced air would blow the water into areas that would not normally receive water during riding in the rain or normal non-pressure washing.  I actually have a moisture drip stain inside my speedo on my softtail due to blowing water from hauling it on a open trailer on the interstate in the rain.  Never would that happen from riding it in drenching rain........it's just different.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »

Nobody said anything about the bikes not being able to get wet. I've been caught in some gully washers! But that doesnt mean I stand there with a hose and blast away! I've even heard of guys using a power sprayer!

uhh, yea.  the power washer part.  uhhhyup!  that's me!  Takes the dirt right off...   I stick the pick-up hose in the S-100, and just squirt away!  the I take the pick-up tube OUT of the S-100, and squirt lots more!  and I chase the kids with it, and spray the passing cars that go by too fast, and squirt some more...     Then I start it.  and I put away the pressure washer, (craftsman, 13 hp, 3200 psi...  it rocks!) and then I get the hose over to it and rinse it off real gentle like...  the soft running water and the vibration makes it almost dry itself...   then I put the hose away...  (remember it's still running), so now all my chit is put away and the bike is all clean and nice looking and, well, I usually can't take it any more, what with that soft thumpa thumpa potato potato noise in the driveway and all.  So, I put the leaf blower away and grab a lid and SEE HOW FAST SHE'LL GO!!!  THAT KNOCKS THE REST OF THE WATER RIGHT OUT OF THOSE SWITCHES!!!!!!!!! Then I go inside and look sheepish when the wife says "you did it again, didn't ya"........  the we go out and pop the new bugs off with some Mcguires Final finish....    Have a little splash of scotch and giggle a bit..... 
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »

uhh, yea.  the power washer part.  uhhhyup!  that's me!  Takes the dirt right off...   I stick the pick-up hose in the S-100, and just squirt away!  the I take the pick-up tube OUT of the S-100, and squirt lots more!  and I chase the kids with it, and spray the passing cars that go by too fast, and squirt some more...     Then I start it.  and I put away the pressure washer, (craftsman, 13 hp, 3200 psi...  it rocks!) and then I get the hose over to it and rinse it off real gentle like...  the soft running water and the vibration makes it almost dry itself...   then I put the hose away...  (remember it's still running), so now all my chit is put away and the bike is all clean and nice looking and, well, I usually can't take it any more, what with that soft thumpa thumpa potato potato noise in the driveway and all.  So, I put the leaf blower away and grab a lid and SEE HOW FAST SHE'LL GO!!!  THAT KNOCKS THE REST OF THE WATER RIGHT OUT OF THOSE SWITCHES!!!!!!!!! Then I go inside and look sheepish when the wife says "you did it again, didn't ya"........  the we go out and pop the new bugs off with some Mcguires Final finish....    Have a little splash of scotch and giggle a bit..... 
I know.....I know.  I won't use the power washer, but I love to get it hot and ride it to finish drying out the switches, etc......the scotch & giggleing might be worth adding to my routine.  :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :-* har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »

I also get somewhat concerned about using the blower to dry the bike.....I've actually had experiences where forced air would blow the water into areas that would not normally receive water during riding in the rain or normal non-pressure washing.  I actually have a moisture drip stain inside my speedo on my softtail due to blowing water from hauling it on a open trailer on the interstate in the rain.  Never would that happen from riding it in drenching rain........it's just different.  :-\ spyder

Spydee, I think you got something there. I'm on my 3rd Sony radio replacement, all were a fight with Sony to replace under warranty. They keep saying moisture was the problem and I keep saying they are MARINE friggin' radios. I've been wondering why I am the only one having this problem and now I think you have just given me the answer.
I'm going to only use the blaster on the motor area and see if that is the problem. THANKS :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »

Spydee, I think you got something there. I'm on my 3rd Sony radio replacement, all were a fight with Sony to replace under warranty. They keep saying moisture was the problem and I keep saying they are MARINE friggin' radios. I've been wondering why I am the only one having this problem and now I think you have just given me the answer.
I'm going to only use the blaster on the motor area and see if that is the problem. THANKS :2vrolijk_21:

MJ, I just put a Sony marine radio in the red bike.  Quite frankly I half expect it fail in a far shorter time span than what would ever normally be expected.  I bought the radio on eBay new, but for cheap.  Then used an extended warranty provider called Square Trade and paid another 17 bucks for a no questions asked two years of replacement or reimbursement for purchase cost. 

Also bought a plastic cover thing that fits in the inner fairing hole completely surrounding the radio to use either during washes or in heavier rains.  Figured between the two I was doing what I could to avoid the problems you'd had and cover my butt in case they happened anyway. 

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »

I thought you had converted the HK in yours, did I just dream that or did you have a problem with it?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »

MJ, I just put a Sony marine radio in the red bike
and that would be 'which' red bike?  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »

and that would be 'which' red bike?  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder

I'll answer that one spidy
There's only one "RED BIKE"
That's the 05 SEEG.
Not sure if he's named the SERG yet but I call it the "OTHER RED BIKE"

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »

I'll answer that one spidy
There's only one "RED BIKE"
That's the 05 SEEG.
Not sure if he's named the SERG yet but I call it the "OTHER RED BIKE"

:2vrolijk_21:

Just shocked  :o that he'd remove the highly modified one he had in the SEEG.  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »

I thought you had converted the HK in yours, did I just dream that or did you have a problem with it?

It died.  A month or so ago.  The Sony was just a much less hassle and a much less expensive replacement and a better radio to boot.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »

Just shocked  :o that he'd remove the highly modified one he had in the SEEG.  spyder

The "modified" part is what kept me from replacing it with the same thing.  Amp and something else died internal.  Repair would have replaced the board holding the chip containing the hacked firmware.  Doing that hack again is a several hours long pain and the radio replacement or repair is more expensive then the Sony replacement.  Replacement would have been twice as much. 

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »

It died.  A month or so ago.  The Sony was just a much less hassle and a much less expensive replacement and a better radio to boot.

I certainly understand, I'm on Sony #3. I just ran by to drop off the Baker DD6 for Rosie to install in Nana and we talked about the radio problems. He agreed with Spydy, he said don't use the blaster or even a hose on the fairing. Since they are MARINE radios, it never occurred to me moisture would be a problem. They are putting radio #3 in now so I will know shortly as the other 2 started crapping out within a month after installing.
Plus, just in case you didn't know, Rosie left Bumpus just recently and went to Southern Thunder (Fat Bastard).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:13:19 PM by MJZ »

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »

i clean mine with water all the time but dry it off with a leather and make sure all water is gone.

HUBRIS

• CVO1: 2010 FLTRX - Paul Yaffe
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

I go up to the local hand wash joint, and pay a "mexi-can" to take it real slow and make it purty like a trimmed beaver.
If you need a helping hand, you can find one at the end of your arm.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.