Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Retro Fit Scissor Gear Kit For 2016 and Prior Transmissions ?  (Read 11028 times)

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRU 111,000 miles
Re: Retro Fit Scissor Gear Kit For 2016 and Prior Transmissions ?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »

Just got the gear set back with new gear installed!, nice and tight..The gear  dropped right in there no problem.  Now the real test! .Going to slide the gear set  it back in there tonight , spending the next few days with family in IL. Back the 28th hopefully get it buttoned up and try it out! .   

Thanks for updating your followers.  We will be awaiting the final results. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »

Thanks for updating your followers.  We will be awaiting the final results. 

WooHoo...Happy Quiet New Year!!... It works..The gear did the trick!...Fied it up on the lift, got it good and hot..no rattle.. A big shout out to Tom @ Maverick HD in Carrollton, Texas for all his assistance..   

Was in Decatur, Il. over Christmas went into Coziahr HD to pick up some inner primary bolts. started chatting with the parts guys about what I was doing he said they did one just like mine about a month ago, nice and quiet.

Guess we aren't the first to figure out this little trick and sure as hell won't be the last. Total bill was about $200-225.    Going for a ride...!!   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 06:27:06 PM »

Well how about that.  That is great news.

So to recap all I need is the new gear and of course new gaskets for everything

Also did it reduce the backlash you feel by rotating rear tire back and forth while in the air?

Thanks for all the great info

Be safe out there

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »

Well how about that.  That is great news.

So to recap all I need is the new gear and of course new gaskets for everything

Also did it reduce the backlash you feel by rotating rear tire back and forth while in the air?

Thanks for all the great info

Be safe out there

Yes, absolutely...what i really noticed is when i tried to shake the input shaft back and forth it would;t move...very solid..Yes the gear and a good trans guy that can change it . You want trap door bearings and the needle bearings for the gear. Probably didn't need the needle bearing for the gear. Can put a parts list together   

Update after a long ride today...Bad News and Good news..

Bad news is I guess I was a little premature in my jubilation that the rattle was gone. Part of it is...After I got it good and hot running it hard, it  started rattling again, just not nearly as bad. Thought I had it hot as hell on the lift, guess not...Back to the drawing board... I 'm speculating that I probably have a very loose gear set,  trap door or what ever  I just may buy a good low mileage one and swap it out just for the hell of it. Don't know yet..

Now the good news! Evidently that scissor gear takes the " slack" out of the low gear pair and it drops right into gear with a very little clunk. Nice and smooth. Thinking that's why you are hearing how smooth the '17's when they are dropping in gear. If you pull the  clutch in for 15-30 seconds it is amazing..almost no  clunk ...and that's after it had the pizz run out of it and was very warm. 

Sorry guys..Overall, it wasn't the outcome I really wanted, didn't  spend a lot of cash, think the bill was $200, spent a little time .. but I got a hell of an education..and it was fun,most of the time.. Thinking out loud I may buy another gear set, put a good trap door on it and the scissor gear and see what we have..   

Tom , my HD tech and I were talking today and agreed that the only two visible changes for the  17's was the case and the gear. Part numbers for everything else is the same. HD may have changed something like vendors, or whatever.. The '17 107 I listened to today wasn't overly quiet either.. On with the show.. Hell I think I could flat rate a gear change now..lol.. 

m my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:20:51 PM by Texas 103 »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

DANG IT  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »

DANG IT  :nixweiss:

That's not exactly what I said..Was talking to John Sachs the other day, told him what was going on,what i had done  and considered just changing to another  gear set and taking my chances.  His comment was , put a Baker door on it before changing gear sets. Because the POS Harley door with snap rings in it let's the bearings move around in the door changing things inside the trans. Made sense to me especially after it got good and hot and it wsa worse.  it''s either a door or another  gear set. on the bright side it just drops in low like butter now,minimal noise. 

I actually found a '12 gear set for $300 I could have used. I know when the 117 starts putting the power to it, things may move around more. . Baker is coming out with a DD 6 for our bikes in March, may be going that way.  Doing the 117 build now, goal is 125 squared, when that's done and tuned, I will pull the gear set and slip on a  Baker door  and we'll see what we can see.

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »

I but the Baker door and shift kit in 2011 RG during a rebuild over the summer.  Shifts really nice now, much better than my 2016.   Sure wish that gear had been available then and had known, while I had it all apart. 

The rattle is much worse on my 11 than the 16.  But I'm sure difference is the over 110k on it. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »

The more I read about the Cruise Drive the more I'm convinced that many of the issues people complain about can be traced back to the cheap and imprecise trap door setup. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

The more I read about the Cruise Drive the more I'm convinced that many of the issues people complain about can be traced back to the cheap and imprecise trap door setup. 

Jerry

X-2 on that Jerry!..That and both shafts with gears manufactured on them.  Thinking Mr.Sachs has a pretty damn good point.  .I am going to at least get it figured out on mine, even if I have to put another gear set(s)  in.. I don't care!! John mentioned the snap rings in the door had a taper to them and he felt like they were collapsing letting the bearings and other  stuff move around couple that up with a loose door.  Pretty hard to keep the proper gear lash when things are moving around.

.One thing I noticed in mine is it sounds like damn old  Babbitt bearing motor with loose rods when you wick it, no matter what the temperature is. Something will be different with the new door..just don't know what yet.. Hell it might quiet down with a 117 and different cam...right..stay tuned..lol       

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »

The new door is thicker and bearings are held in with a plate.  You can tell the difference on the flex part at the clutch lever. Not near as much ghost movement when getting on the throttle.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »

The new door is thicker and bearings are held in with a plate.  You can tell the difference on the flex part at the clutch lever. Not near as much ghost movement when getting on the throttle.

Yes, that's exactly what John was saying about the Baker door. Guess I'll be calling Mark again, probably drove him nuts discussing the rattle..Hell now I better buy something  What I did find out with the gear was that it wasn't the low gear pair making the rattle.  Onward and upward...!       

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 05:47:27 AM »

Considering this repair as my winter project. Just curious if after a season of riding if you are happy with the results? Also is there a consensus on the need for a Baker trapdoor?
When hot my neutral rattle is so loud it is embarrassing, the bike sounds like a cement mixer!
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »

Considering this repair as my winter project. Just curious if after a season of riding if you are happy with the results? Also is there a consensus on the need for a Baker trapdoor?
When hot my neutral rattle is so loud it is embarrassing, the bike sounds like a cement mixer!

The scissor gear didn't fix the  rattle. Sure makes it nice when you drop it in gear, most of the time ,if you give it 5-10 seconds no clunk or a very light one. Make sure and use redline or similar light fluid in eh primary, help the clutch release quicker and cleaner. Main shaft in our transmissions weigh 5.83 lbs and it the momentum keep it tuning for a while.   

I feel you pain on the neutral rattle. I think the Baker  door with bigger bearings ( 28% ) in it will go along way and may take care it it. Had I known then what I know now..lol. No doubt I would slip the new  scissor gear in when I did the door, but I wouldn't do the   gear by itself. Unless you just want to for the hell of it. As you saw in my other thread I am also going to install the new MDG gear & bearing. Stay tuned , PM me if you'd like.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.