Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: T Man Thumper 110 kit  (Read 2699 times)

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
T Man Thumper 110 kit
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »

http://www.tmanperformance.com/kits.htm
I was looking at the 110 kit.  The dyno sheet shown there is impressive, but was with the 58mm throttle bodies.  Anyone running this kit on a 110 with the stock throttle bodies?  I know I would have to go with a stiffer clutch, but what else am I looking at here?  Any thoughts/opinions welcome!

Tricky

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: T Man Thumper 110 kit
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »

1Trickydick,

Those numbers are great, but there are concessions that I would consider if I were doing this build for my own bikes:

Just a few things to consider depending where you live and plan on riding the bike. 

Opinions differ so my take on this is the following:

I am going to presume you are on the 07 SEUC smurf that is depicted. 

What is your crank runout looking like before you start this?

10.8 to 1 compression a little higher than I would prefer for a bagger depending on fuels, and climate and trips you take  (Consideration is that you have to be careful with fuel addiditives because you have narrow band sensors if you cant get 93 octane) ... Some questions might be what is the cranking compression 220 range?  What is the corrected with the cam they depict or you go with?.   Beyond that you have to consider the cam is it going to be hard ramping and what will the valve train noise be like, I don't know just something to consider.  The pipe is a 2 into 1 Borzilla and is quite loud depending on your taste. 

I can tell you that it will take a very good tune if you were down here in florida (texas isnt that much different in climate) to not ping and with a lot of cranking compression you have to worry about starters and ring gears and valve trains and now fuels with the ethanol in there.   Do you do parades / charity rides?  Motors like this don't like to get hot.

Wouldnt tell you not to do it, just to advise that there are trade offs.   I wish you the best in whatever package you choose.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »

I do indeed have a "smurf", but did not know it until this post :)
I do not know what my crank runout is as I have never had it apart myself, and did not think about it when I had the gasket recall done, either time, or I would have had it checked then.
10.8 is up there as far as compression, and I damn sure don't need this thing running any hotter.  I will ask about the cranking range.  I don't want to have to go to compression releases.
I am keeping my stock headers with the Bub slip on, and will probably drill the CAT out to help with the heat problem.  I am interested in performance, but if I get with 10-15 of those numbers I would be thrilled.
I have a guy locally that I trust implicitly to do the tune.  He has been drag racing V-Twins of all kinds for more than 25 years.
T Man suggests the 625 Cam with this setup and the 110 engine.  New valves are installed into the heads when they are CNC'd, so I would not imagine that they would put something in the head that would not handle the cam?
I do not parade run much, or charity run except for the Big Texas Toy Run.  I am looking for something that makes reliable, and impressive power on the highwy. 
To be honest, I am more dissatisfied with this bike purchase than I am in any other I have ever made.  That is a pretty big mouthful coming from a guy that has owned more than 30 street bikes....  This bike does everything I bought it to do, except run reliably and make power.  I am seeking to rectify that, but to be honest, I don't have high hopes.  At least not without putting (another) considerable amount of money behind it.  Good money after bad, hopefully.  :)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »

Tricky,

Your bike comes with Auto matic compression releases if you were unaware of that. If you happen to choose a cam with over 600 lift I would also suggest roller rockers which also add to the noise. 

Depending on what you are after and how far you go will determine longevity and such and since you are already disheartened I would suggest a happy middle ground that gives you reliablity and longevity if such a thing is possible on the 110.

Your 07 the Catalytics werent in the head pipes they were in the mufflers.  Might be better suited to pick up a set of slip-ons you like. 

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »

Two things I did not know, maybe why I cannot find a thread on '07 cat removals :)  I have Bub Rinehart slip ons and a K&N drop in with a PC-III.
Another suggestion from a local shop was the 451 cam and Graphite gaskets to (hopefully) stop the rear cylinder leaking/eating oil.
The wife has authorized (yet another) five grand or so to make this bike what we want.  I am just looking for the most reliable power and largest bang for the buck.  Simple request no?  :)

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »

Two things I did not know, maybe why I cannot find a thread on '07 cat removals :)  I have Bub Rinehart slip ons and a K&N drop in with a PC-III.
Another suggestion from a local shop was the 451 cam and Graphite gaskets to (hopefully) stop the rear cylinder leaking/eating oil.
The wife has authorized (yet another) five grand or so to make this bike what we want.  I am just looking for the most reliable power and largest bang for the buck.  Simple request no?  :)

What a women :orange: :orange: :orange:
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »

Have witnessed Bob Wood #8 cams, with headwork, produce very good results in the 110's, as well, with either 58mm S/E FBW's, or 55mm HPI t/bodys. If installing any HPI's on the cable drawn 110's, be aware that those intake ports ID's are 1.750", and the correct manifold needs to be ordered at that point.
TR does have good combinations.
Scott

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »

Sure is alot of time and money for something that might take, more time and money. This great if you have another bike to ride and enough money. That 5k will be gone and needing more if you continue down the path your heading.
My .02, increase air in, true duals with free flow baffles, gear drive cams. Then get rid of that PC and do a mastertune. There's no reason that bike shouldn't pull away nicely on the highway.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »

Soooooo, the story continues.  I sent an e-mail to the Service Manager at the shop where I bought the bike expressing my displeasure with my situation.  It seems that I had the recall done on my bike in 8 of 08.  The "Product Enhancement Program" was released in 9 of 08 and my bike is eligible for that and is covered by Harley.  Since we are going to have the top end torn down anyway, there is a "kit" from the SE catalogue that I am having done at the same time.  It is 10.5.1 pistons, SE 259E cam and SERT.  All the labor is free, as well as an upgraded clutch and some cam bearings that will be thrown in there for good measure.  That plus a dyno tune and I am out the door with a price I can accept.  I suppose the squeaky wheel eventually gets greased.  This kit is supposed to put out 114HP and 110FP.  I am having him do a baseline pull to see where I am now, and where I will be.  He assures me that I will be pleasantly surprised.  From the research I have done here, it looks like real numbers are more like mid 90's and low 100's.  Not anywhere near what I think a 110' V-Twin should produce, but it is what it is....
I appreciate all the advise.  And I will let you all know how it all turns out.

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

you won't make 114 hp sae with the stock throttle body
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 22 queries.