Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Motorcycling is a dying industry.....  (Read 5117 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Re: Motorcycling is a dying industry.....
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

Distracted driving is definitely a real BIG problem everywhere.

I apologize for getting off topic, however I recently read a report that claimed more accidents occur today due to distracted driving than all other causes combined!

After reading that and listening to daily news reports of people being killed I went out on a limb and wrote our Prime Minister Trudeau a letter (with a copy to our Transport Minister) suggesting that they mandate that all motor vehicles manufactured for 2019 and beyond come equipped with a discrambler that cuts off the cell phone once the vehicle is shifted out of park or neutral.  Furthermore set a deadline date of 2020 for all other vehicles manufactured prior to 2019 to be equipped with the same discrambler, and that it would certainly pay the government to cover the cost of doing so.  The amount of money being spent on policing this is absolutely ridiculous and they are only scratching the service at best.  For my money, the ONLY way to stop distracted driving/riding is to implement the above into law across the country 100% once and for all.  If people need to talk on their phones, pull over and put the car/bike in park/neutral, and when finished carry on your way safely for all concerned.

That's my weekend rant, which I realize everyone will not agree with but I want to be able to ride safely well into the future and have my kids to the same in their cars on their bikes, etc., and I don't think that that is too much to wish for.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »

Grizzly it might be cheaper and easier to require a speed blocker on all phones since most already have GPS and locator programs installed, just make it law that all phones stop working above a speed like 10mph. Many people replace their phones on a frequent basis but it would take decades to replace the vehicle market - bike, car , truck , buses etc. And your way would require inspections on every old vehicle to make sure it complied with your law......
I do agree with you if the public wants vehicle safety and limit death and destruction something needs to be done.
Another thing to consider would be to make every person applying for a driver's license to take an on road course for bike riding so they can see how dangerous it is out there and regardless if they ever buy a bike or not they will be a more careful driver.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »

I find it some what amusing that large amounts of money are spent on billboards that are designed to get our attention while these same billboards tell us to text or talk later. They are distracting us while telling us not to be distracted.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

J.D.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »

Harley's getting the one two punch.

Market is shrinking overall, and the ones who remain, percentage wise, are leaving the brand.

Locally I see less and less bikes, and alot of older (and previously very brand loyal) H-D riders have relatively recently abandoned the brand for a number of reasons, all really tying back to sub-standard product quality, performance, and/or features.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »

Grizzly it might be cheaper and easier to require a speed blocker on all phones since most already have GPS and locator programs installed, just make it law that all phones stop working above a speed like 10mph. Many people replace their phones on a frequent basis but it would take decades to replace the vehicle market - bike, car , truck , buses etc. And your way would require inspections on every old vehicle to make sure it complied with your law......
I do agree with you if the public wants vehicle safety and limit death and destruction something needs to be done.
Another thing to consider would be to make every person applying for a driver's license to take an on road course for bike riding so they can see how dangerous it is out there and regardless if they ever buy a bike or not they will be a more careful driver.
In theory that would be great until the person in the passenger seat or back seat needed to make a call or use their phone. I think that's one of the huge factors on why it hasn't taken off yet.

They've installed devices in our fleet trucks now that bluetooth to an app installed on our phones. Once that vehicle starts moving, it locks out everything except an ememercy 911 call until the vehicle has been stopped for 60 -90 seconds. It also mutes the ringers and vibration notice so you don't even know if someone tried to call/text/email you. If you hit one button on your phone while that red banner is across the top of the screen, your manager gets an instant text message and they are required to find out why. If it matches up that your truck was shut off and in park, you're good. If you were moving, automatic one day suspension with a life saving behavior mark in your permanent record.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »

I agree with you guys.  I have done my best to pass on the love of vehicles to my family. The big wheel bike and the two street rods are builds my son did and owns. He also built the sportster for his son that he raised as a single parent. The white police bike is my son in laws.

My other grandson is saving up to buy a bike now. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »

Sales are flat or falling and the only way to survive is to pull sales from your competitors. With all the awesome new bikes and technology out there I don't think Harley is going to draw many new riders. We see it even here with our members showing good judgment and buying other brands.
Air cooled, single crankpin farm utility engines still excite me, but I'm 74 years old. A modern bagger with a wet modern motor that eats Wings and you could ride comfortably all day would definitely change my mind about Harley. 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »

In theory that would be great until the person in the passenger seat or back seat needed to make a call or use their phone. I think that's one of the huge factors on why it hasn't taken off yet.

They've installed devices in our fleet trucks now that bluetooth to an app installed on our phones. Once that vehicle starts moving, it locks out everything except an ememercy 911 call until the vehicle has been stopped for 60 -90 seconds.

To me that kinda looks like the "sensible" answer to the problem, only allow 911 calls. All other calls can surely wait until vehicle pulls over to a stop. I think you are close to my generation and we certainly survived not having immediate gratification with instant communication. Younger people never grew up with the concept of having to find a payphone to make a call. When my daughter was very young she couldn't understand reruns of the show "Murder She Wrote" and the star always making the statement "Get me to a phone!" so she could notify the police.
I'm sure that immediate gratification gene comes into play with Harley sales since many younger people just want to throw a leg over a bike and ride for less effort to get it to run right. Then also look at the economic crash of a few years ago and many people can't afford bikes as an expensive toy anymore.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »

All this is showing us is who the folks with a passion for riding are, young and old.

It wasn't too long ago that owing a motorcycle was a "socially cool thing", almost like part of a clothing ensemble. Same with those cute tote puppies folks bring every where. But then the folks who bought all those bikes found out their "passion" wasn't enough when they got caught in a rain storm in Wyoming, or had to cross the desert at 110 degrees, the non-glamorous side of riding. So the market got glutted with low mileage bikes. Those of us who are left, are the die-hards, and will always be.

As for placing blame on the youth, I can't do that. Yes, they are interested in phones and gadgets, but they have so many wide interests. A focus may come later, and it may or may not include motorcycling. My eldest is finishing grad school and is focused on work as an environmental engineer. Right now he wants to travel the world and visit other countries. My youngest is in his second year of college. His interests are surfing, archery, chess, and studying stuff I can't even pronounce let alone understand. When I look at them and their peers I see the bright future of our nation.

As for motorcycles, there will always be the diehards. As for riders, I see a lot of new riders, as in folks in their 20's. And the majority are women and minorities. Like a lot of manufactures HD recognized that and started their pitch towards them. However these young ones cannot afford an HD, so they buy other brands until they can buy one. Just like a lot of us did.

The market will adjust. It may slow down, but motorcycling is not going to die out in the next 7 years.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »

All this is showing us is who the folks with a passion for riding are, young and old.

It wasn't too long ago that owing a motorcycle was a "socially cool thing", almost like part of a clothing ensemble. Same with those cute tote puppies folks bring every where. But then the folks who bought all those bikes found out their "passion" wasn't enough when they got caught in a rain storm in Wyoming, or had to cross the desert at 110 degrees, the non-glamorous side of riding. So the market got glutted with low mileage bikes. Those of us who are left, are the die-hards, and will always be.

As for placing blame on the youth, I can't do that. Yes, they are interested in phones and gadgets, but they have so many wide interests. A focus may come later, and it may or may not include motorcycling. My eldest is finishing grad school and is focused on work as an environmental engineer. Right now he wants to travel the world and visit other countries. My youngest is in his second year of college. His interests are surfing, archery, chess, and studying stuff I can't even pronounce let alone understand. When I look at them and their peers I see the bright future of our nation.

As for motorcycles, there will always be the diehards. As for riders, I see a lot of new riders, as in folks in their 20's. And the majority are women and minorities. Like a lot of manufactures HD recognized that and started their pitch towards them. However these young ones cannot afford an HD, so they buy other brands until they can buy one. Just like a lot of us did.

The market will adjust. It may slow down, but motorcycling is not going to die out in the next 7 years.

Uh, I just can't imagine that...  My wife and I have hundreds of fond memories from riding trips, but two that really stick out are the one where we rode through (and stayed overnight in) Death Valley in 116° and when we were caught in a snowstorm (in early Sep) in Rocky Mountain NP and had to call a flatbed to haul us down to 6,500' where the temps were a comfortable 50°.

I guess it's a case of "those who are, and those who wish they were".  ;D

Those young'ns just don't know what they're missing!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

Uh, I just can't imagine that...  My wife and I have hundreds of fond memories from riding trips, but two that really stick out are the one where we rode through (and stayed overnight in) Death Valley in 116° and when we were caught in a snowstorm (in early Sep) in Rocky Mountain NP and had to call a flatbed to haul us down to 6,500' where the temps were a comfortable 50°.

I guess it's a case of "those who are, and those who wish they were".  ;D

Those young'ns just don't know what they're missing!

My wife  and I have taken many trips on our bikes out west.  The most memorable ones are the 75th anniversary at Sturigs in the horrific hail storm.  Just over 6K damage to my 8 month old CVO Road Glide ultra and a little over 5k damage to my wife's 8 month old Road Glide Special.

Another one we left Sturgis to ride Bear to pass after the Rally, and for two days the Pass was closed due to snow.

I remember riding home to East TN from Santa Fee in the rain the whole way.

Can't wait to make more memories....
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »

My wife  and I have taken many trips on our bikes out west.  The most memorable ones are the 75th anniversary at Sturigs in the horrific hail storm.  Just over 6K damage to my 8 month old CVO Road Glide ultra and a little over 5k damage to my wife's 8 month old Road Glide Special.

Another one we left Sturgis to ride Bear to pass after the Rally, and for two days the Pass was closed due to snow.

Those are the best memories and like yours the ones my wife and I share with friends all the time.  :2vrolijk_21:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »

As they say:  'Foul weather makes fond memories' is true.  Likely as not you don't recall that glorious ride when the conditions were perfect.  But oh the ones like you mentioned above are never forgotten.  And as time goes by the snow gets deeper and the rain more intense.  We all gotta have our 'war stories', lol.
Like you I look forward to the next adventure.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »

As they say:  'Foul weather makes fond memories' is true.  Likely as not you don't recall that glorious ride when the conditions were perfect.  But oh the ones like you mentioned above are never forgotten.  And as time goes by the snow gets deeper and the rain more intense.  We all gotta have our 'war stories', lol.

It's my experience that the first time trip to a destination is the best, regardless of weather.

Grand Tetons, Glacier National Park, Yosemite NP ... visited several times but the 1st time was just AWESOME for each :)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »

I do have one trip I will never for get, 5840 miles.  We rode from home to Santa Fee NM, then to Ouray CO, then Estes Park, CO, then Sturgis on a 2 week trip, then home.  Road many Awesome roads and mountain passes.  Not one drop of rain.

I doubt we will ever get another 14 day trip with out a drop of rain.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.