Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Nitrogen in tires, any benefit  (Read 8905 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Nitrogen in tires, any benefit
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »

Independent test results from folks like Consumer Reports have indicated on more than one occasion that the claim about a huge difference in air loss is false.  Over a one year period in one test, tires inflated with nitrogen lost perhaps 2 psi less than tires inflated with atmospheric air.  Those of us who live in areas with large swings in temperatures have much more of a pressure variation than that just due to temperatures.  Rule of thumb, 1 psi for each 10°F difference in temp.

If it's free, go for it.  If they try to sell it to you for $39.95 like some of the tire stores and auto dealers around here, keep your money in your pocket.  Better yet, use the money to buy a good tire pressure gauge and use it weekly.  If you're like me what you will find is that you'll need to add air as summer becomes fall and fall becomes winter, and then remove air as winter becomes spring and spring becomes summer.  In other words, in my experience in the Chicago metropolitan area I make a lot more corrections to air pressure due to temperature changes than I do due to actual leakage.

Using nitrogen won't harm anything, but it also won't do all those things the folks pushing it claim it will.  And guess what, that temperature thing I just talked about applies to nitrogen just like it does to regular old air (which is 78% nitrogen btw).  So unless you live somewhere where the ambient temps never change, even if nitrogen leaks very slightly less than regular air, you still need to check and adjust pressures anyway.  Get in the habit of checking and correcting pressures on a regular schedule, and go back to worrying about the important stuff, like will synthetic oil cause my Harley to leak or my bearings to skid.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »

Get in the habit of checking and correcting pressures on a regular schedule, and go back to worrying about the important stuff, like will synthetic oil cause my Harley to leak or my bearings to skid.
Jerry ;)

X2 Jerry, better to be proactive and not put off until something happens!  :2vrolijk_21:

:nervous: :nervous: uh oh, has there been problems with bearings sliding?? :nervous: :nervous:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »

OK, no first hand experiences here.  I know I'm not the only one that's put nitrogen in my tires.  Anybody want to share any real world first hand experiences? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »

I'm going to invent boxer shorts with internal air bladders that can be filled with helium to better support "the boys" on long rides.
Thanks JC, for posting to this old thread, 'cause I had to go back and read it and discovered this post and got my belly laugh for today. :huepfenlol2: ;D :P :P  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »

I had put in my rear tire when I had it placed last year.  No extra charge from installer.  It lost no pressure up to the time the tire was replaced last week.  Typically, I was losing about 1-3 psi per month.

We have it in our Mercedes SUV.  I'll check the pressure this weekend and see how it's holding.   :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »

I had put in my rear tire when I had it placed last year.  No extra charge from installer.  It lost no pressure up to the time the tire was replaced last week.  Typically, I was losing about 1-3 psi per month.

We have it in our Mercedes SUV.  I'll check the pressure this weekend and see how it's holding.   :2vrolijk_21:

So your experience has been what mine was with mine and Terrie's Street Glides and more recently with my 5th wheel.  Ken how did you do on mileage on that tire?  Terrie and I both immediatly got more mileage out of our tires (not miles per gallon.....didn't try to track that.....to many variables) after we started using nitorgen.

Some auto makers are sending their cars out with nitrogen now as well as some RV mfgs.  Also saw a thing on the speed channel a few months ago where a number of long haul trucking companies are now starting to use nitrogen in their fleets.  I think more and more people, companies, etc. are finding out for thierselves first hand, what you and I have experienced Ken. 

I was a skeptic up until they gave it to me for free and I exerienced exactly what you experienced.  Sure turned my thinking around pretty quick.

For the rest of you.....if you're buying a new tire(s) and they offer nitrogen for free, you certainly have nothing to loose by trying it.  Do yourself a favor and go for it......you'll be as surprised as I was.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »

Is this April 1st?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »

Nitrogen like HD air is many times more than the generic air available everywhere mostly for free.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »

If you get the N2 pre-installed......transporting the tires this way will help keep it INSIDE the tires!

Remember wheel diameter should always be selected based on waist measurement!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »

The use of non-HD air and Non EPA compliant tire pressure gauges can lead to a "void" in your tires air chamber warranty. Also the use of inferior non HD air can cause "pumping".

This "pumping" as it is called is actually a migration of the air in your front tire to your back tire. This has been occurring for years. Be sure to check your rear tire pressure cold, then ride 50 miles at high speeds and re- check. You will note an increase in the tire pressure. However, it is really NOT an increase in pressure, instead it is an increase in volume. Hence the term "pumping". But Harley says " they all do that".

Remember to check your tires with only a screamin eagle street pressure gauge and fill with only Harley screamin eagle syn3 air.

Any hints of sarcasm were purely intentional.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:51:34 PM by Threephase »
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »

The use of non-HD air and Non EPA compliant tire pressure gauges can lead to a "void" in your tires air chamber warranty. Also the use of inferior non HD air can cause "pumping".

This "pumping" as it is called is actually a migration of the air in your front tire to your back tire. This has been occurring for years. Be sure to check your rear tire pressure cold, then ride 50 miles at high speeds and re- check. You will note an increase in the tire pressure. However, it is really NOT and increase in pressure, instead it is an increase in volume. Hence the term "pumping". But Harley says " they all do that".

Remember to check your tires with only a screamin eagle street pressure gauge and fill with only Harley screamin eagle syn3 air.

Any hints of sarcasm were purely intentional.

;D

I checked the non syn-3 HD air in my HD tires on my Limited with a non HD pressure gauge and *gasp* was not wearing a Harley tshirt at the time.  Amazingly, the bike started & ran ok afterward & it passed a Harley shop without automatically turning in. 

Yeah, some days I'm a rebel like that.

;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »

Sounds like "Global Warming" to me.  :nixweiss:

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.