Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saw a Cople of Odd Things Yesterday While Driving  (Read 906 times)

J.D.

Saw a Cople of Odd Things Yesterday While Driving
« on: July 12, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »

Had to run some errands in the car yesterday and saw a couple of off things while driving a rural highway (55mph speed limit).

First was a guy on a bagger riding without glasses.  He appears to be squinting to either keep from being blinded by the sun and/or wind in his eyes.

Second a bit down the road was a younger guy and a girl on a Softail or Dyna.  She's in shorts and a tank top.  That in itself is a bit odd, but what was truly odd was she was holding her phone on the back of his neck area and appeared to be texting.

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Saw a Cople of Odd Things Yesterday While Driving
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »

Second doesn't seem that strange. I often see chics on the back of bikes wearing skimpy clothing and texting and taking photos while riding.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »

Darwinian evolution.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 07:06:10 PM »

Nothing I haven't seen pretty much every year, for a whole lotta years.  Just because someone rides a bike, or is a passenger on a bike, doesn't make those persons smart.  Percentage wise, I'd guess the imbecile percentage isn't much different between cars and bikes.

So far here in my little corner of Indiana approximately 80% of the reported motorcycle fatalities have been single vehicle crashes.  Drunks and people who don't really know how to ride seem to be the leading causes.  And of course a few brain dead cage drivers turning in front of bikes, but those are in the minority these days.  Overall, I'm seeing a lot fewer bikes out, and when I see groups they are small, ten or less riders.  Times have changed, and it's not all about COVID-19.  I haven't seen one large group ride so far this year; by this time of the year there normally would have been a dozen.

On the brain-dead driver front, I see more and more cars and trucks running around with front bumpers destroyed or missing these days.  It seems those laws about mobile devices and driving are not effective.  Who would have guessed?  I also see a troubling trend of people driving complete wrecks on the highway continuing to grow.  Indiana, unlike some other states I've lived in, doesn't have vehicle inspections and obviously we also don't have much in the way of police enforcement actions.  I saw one vehicle last week where the entire right side was basically ripped open, front fender to rear door, driving down a main four lane highway.  Meanwhile, my town's cops sit in their Ford Explorer's in parking lots, only moving if they get a call from a dispatcher or they go to lunch.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »

Those are the same people that ride in a car with their feet on up on the dash, right where the passenger side airbags are located. I would love to see pictures of one of them After an accident.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

mark

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 09:32:58 PM »

I moved to Coastal Georgia from Louisiana ten years ago and one of the first things that struck me was the number of people riding in shorts...some also wearing flip-flops.  I know it’s brutally hot during the summer on the GA Coast, but so was South Louisiana.     

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:36 AM »

Neither one strikes me as odd.  Guy could've lost his glasses or they could have been hit by something & broke.  People can wear whatever they want when riding & it really does not bother me enough to comment one way or the other.  Lots of passengers text, talk on phones - whatever - very common similar to passengers in a car.  As long as they are riding their ride & not interfering with mine, it's a big So What for me mostly.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 24 queries.