Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bolts are rusting  (Read 1403 times)

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
Bolts are rusting
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »

Before picking up my bike I had the dealer replace all bolts with the chrome version. I noticed today that a few on the lifter blocks are beginning to rust where the hex key fits. Is there any easy way to clean it out or should I have the dealer replace them?

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Re: Bolts are rusting
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 01:07:58 PM »

I was just discussing this same thing with someone here at work.  You cannot take tools to chrome.  It will keep happening.  Buy some chrome polish  [smiley=laugh.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:15:08 PM »

Do yourself a favor and remove the hex heads and install 12 point bolts they will never rust. If you must keep the hex heads you can buy chrome plugs to fit in the hex holes this will make them pretty again.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 03:27:56 PM »

I appreciate the input!! I will try the chrome polish first and if that doesn't work go to the chrome plugs.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 07:29:59 PM »

The chrome "Toppers" that DC Firemen mentioned help and add a little more finished look overall to the motor, too.  They come in sets or kits.....motor, tranny, primary, etc.  I think they even have a kit or set for the whole bike.  You might do a search for "Toppers".....I think they advertise in Thunder Press, too.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 08:07:33 AM »

The chrome "Toppers" that DC Firemen mentioned help and add a little more finished look overall to the motor, too.  They come in sets or kits.....motor, tranny, primary, etc.  I think they even have a kit or set for the whole bike.  You might do a search for "Toppers".....I think they advertise in Thunder Press, too.

JCZ I wasn't talking about toppers although they will work they cost a bunch but will work. I was talking about the little chrome plugs that fit right into the holes of hex head bolts. They are cheap and come in various sizes.

Laker the chrome polish will only make you crazy. It is almost impossible and very time consuming  to clean in those little holes. The plugs a very cheap and most shops(harley and aftermarket) carry them. Harley even sells them with thier logo on them.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 09:30:24 PM »

Good quality polished STAINLESS fasteners are the only way to go to have the shiny look of chrome w/o the rust that will occur anytime a fastener is chipped/dinged as a result of tightening it.  Harley doesn't offer them, but a couple of aftermarket suppliers such as Diamond brand does offer them in highly polished stainless.....all sizes that you need.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.