Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: OMG - Harley gets religion with synthetic gear oil  (Read 2816 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: OMG - Harley gets religion with synthetic gear oil
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »

Funny, and some of you'uns have already mentioned this, but first off the MoCo preached Dino oil only (their brand) and not to use that synthetic snake oil.  They they finally put synthetic in their SE models, selling the rest of us peons the same thing in bottles, their brand again.  Now they put syn in most of their models in all three holes, their brand, and NOW are telling us to use a gear oil in the primary/tranny instead of Syn 3....and they wonder why we don't trust what they say... :nixweiss:

Motor1 is correct...can't wait for all the gear oil thread discussions... ;D

I'll start...I use the MoCo offerings in motor oil cause I've always had good luck with it AND it's readily available everywhere I go.  If'n I change to a gear oil (probably not), I'll use the MoCo first.  Larry Poole (great friend and among other things a top notch Harley mechanic with a few HD related U.S. patents...he's with the Lord now...) always said he could tell when he tore down a motor whether it was running Motor company oil or not.  It worked for him and it's worked for me these past 40 years so I'll stick with it... :2vrolijk_21:

Also the ever popular - "Heard if you don't use all Harley oils/fluids you will void your warranty."

;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »

I like how they chose an uncommon 80w-140 whereas most gear oils are either 75w-140 or 85w-140 so it's that little bit harder to match exactly.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »

I will stick with Mobile 1 and Red Line. Motor sounds much better than with HD in all three holes.

Mobile1 V Twin formula available at any Walmart. Easier to find a Walmart than a Harley dealership and they are always open. This help in not mixing brands of oil when on road trips and need oil now.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »

I like how they chose an uncommon 80w-140 whereas most gear oils are either 75w-140 or 85w-140 so it's that little bit harder to match exactly.

True but either one of those viscosities should work just as well.  It ain't rocket surgery.   ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »

Mobile1 V Twin formula available at any Walmart. Easier to find a Walmart than a Harley dealership and they are always open. This help in not mixing brands of oil when on road trips and need oil now.

Well said, and Mobile 1 V Twin is available at NAPA's and Auto Zones as well.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »

True but either one of those viscosities should work just as well.  It ain't rocket surgery.   ;D

Indeed.  I've run all sorts of oils in the transmission with essentially no issues, but have found 75w-140 works best for me personally (no I don't have any data to back that up - just clean drain plugs and good shifting feel).

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 11:14:29 PM »

Funny how the local dealer service tech years ago shook his head when I told him I was using synthetic 75w-140 differential gear oil in my transmission.
I'm a chemical engineer by training, worked many years for a major oil company, and have extensive experience with production of natural and synthetic oil.  The simple truth is that techs receive almost zero training in the specifics of motor oil, mostly b/c it's not needed for their daily duties. 

The problem comes from the mismatch between techs' education and the public's assumptions about their knowledge level.  Fortunately, most riders on this forum have realized that techs are mostly parts-replacers.  Neither techs nor dealers have any desire to change this, since the dealers and HD make more money with more parts replaced, and it's usually faster for techs to replace parts than to spend time on in-depth troubleshooting.

I've seen other videos by this guy, and he's pretty good at a lot of things, yet he admits he doesn't know that much about oil.  Ironic considering the title of the video.   :(
If you want peace, prepare for war.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »

I see they also recommend this for use in the primary.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:45:29 AM by LC110 »
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »

Riders have a diminishing interest in Harleys because Harley has a diminishing interest in riders.
Ain't that the truth.  smh
If you want peace, prepare for war.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.