Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: 2017 CVO MODELS/CHANGES  (Read 109099 times)

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 2016 CVO MODELS/CHANGES
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »

I would love to see and software upgrade that made the GPS work like the Garmin Portable GPS. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/Smileys/CVO/nixweiss.gif

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2015, 10:51:12 PM »

It's the same reason why Apple can charge $800 for a phone they have made in China for about $50 max.  People will pay it.  And until people stop paying ten times what the infotainment systems are worth, the car and bike folks will keep right on sticking it to them.  It's called pricing to whatever level the rubes will put up with.  Their cost to actually produce or procure the system and install it has nothing to do with it.  The profit margin on the accessories is much higher than the profit margin on the basic car or bike.

IMHO, built in NAV systems are something to be avoided, not embraced.  I can buy a good portable Garmin for less than $200, and if it fails I'm out $200.  Wait until that built in NAV in your car or bike fails and see what it will cost you to replace it.  And many do in fact fail over time.

Jerry

:soapbox:

You hit a nerve, Jerry! You're absolutely correct in what you said, as you nearly always are.

BUT, it isn't about the price/cost of the actual device at ALL... It's about the value that can be delivered THROUGH the device. The iPhone gives the user access to a VAST ecosystem of apps to do more things than you can ever imagine... Maps, weather, traffic, you name it... and all delivered via the network seamlessly, in real-time, and always current as of right NOW! Ditto the Android devices.

I have over 100 apps on my iPhone, and that's under the average. Some of them do things I would never have imagined I would need or want to do before I saw the app. Now, they're indispensable to me, because of the value they deliver to me... value that actually simplifies my life.

These devices are not "smart phones". They are really highly-programmable and customizable handheld computers that also happen to be able to make phone calls - and can also make phone calls over Wi-Fi through various apps, without even needing a carrier.

In sharp contrast, the built-in Infotainment systems offer none of these downloadable apps... Because they are closed systems, and very few people even have access to them. You're stuck with whatever the people who design these overpriced monstrosities decided to build in... which all-too-often is just low-function crap with a HORRIBLE user experience. That's because they're designed by engineers to very specific designs to offer as little as possible, at the lowest cost. I'm not blaming the engineers, but rather the product managers and THEIR management - many of whom don't seem to be able to manage themselves out of a wet paper sack, much less understand what customers WANT. I think what customers really WANT are products that can grow with them over time, and do new things seamlessly, and that offer a personal and customizable user experience. 

I think Harley would have been FAR better off just including an iPad Mini, or even a full-size iPad, in a waterproof, snap-in-and-out enclosure in the fairing (like the FBI fairing tried to do, but FBI didn't execute well on it), and then having the Angry Birds folks, or someone equally tech-savvy, write a kick-ass "Run My Hog" app to enable the rider to display gauges, display the nav map, display the audio controls, receive real-time alerts, etc. and be able to move them around to wherever they want and resize them to their heart's content. Hell, I would buy THAT!

In this manner, new app functions could be added seamlessly, just like they do with or iOS or Android apps. Why should one EVER have to take their bike back to a dealer to have new code flashed into their Infotainment system? It's ludicrous! This can, and should, be done over the Internet - in seconds, automatically, just like all of my iPhone and iPad apps do.

The people who spec Infotainment systems still have a 1990s mentality... "it's worked for years, why change things?" The auto and motorcycle industries are often their own worst enemies with their resistance to embracing new technology. It's as if they never do anything until they are forced to do it... either by the competition or by the government. For example, they actually think that DVD-based Nav systems and dealer flashes are still acceptable in this Internet Age. Well, they're not any longer.... not by a LONG shot. The whole tech revolution since 2000 has passed right over their heads - and they don't even know it, nor do they even seemingly care.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »

Nice idea. But...

Android did it years ago.  They have a car mode.  Put it in the cradle and it detects it and switches to car mode so it limits the functions to make it safe for road use (debatable).  You could add apps to it so Waze would be part of it, but angry birds wouldn't pop up.  Sounds great.

Except like all Androids it crashes frequently.  Or it just goes somewhere else and contemplates itself for a bit.  Or if you have an iPhone you... well you can't actually resize an iPhone display.  Or make a an interface app to lock out functions.  Because only Apple can do that from on high (Can I get an amen brothers and sisters).

So.. we're stuck with what the car manufacturers can safely put out with limited risk of lawsuit and probably supportability vs. what those of us who are tech savvy figure out a way to do on our own with our devices.

I'd love to see it.  And I think within 5-10 years we will.  I think in the next decade or two everyone will have a personal device that will be our wallet and currency exchange medium.  Our infotainment system for not only mobile applications but for home use.  Our medical, legal and employment record device and if I was paranoid, our tracking and monitoring device.  Only so our family can make sure we're alright and the government can keep terrorist at bay.  Cause only illegal type people would object to government monitoring.

But until then... couldn't HD at least have figured out a Pandora tie in.  I mean even my Nissan can figure that out.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

Tell you what, as far as I am concerned HD could ELIMINATE the whole bloody audio system and put the R&D into the drive train.  I find the audio system on my 2015 CVO as an irritant more than anything else....that's one of the reasons I have put 6K on my BMW GSA and 1600 miles on the CVO this summer.  Oh by the way my Hard Candy CVO is still for sale.  Flame away...

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2015, 10:11:32 PM »

Love the sound system and integration with the iPhone, NAV system (still haven't had the time to figure it out totally) and Siruis radio which I haven't decided to keep. Where I live there's lots of trees, hills, mountains and it cuts out a lot. Back in Sturgis though most the time it worked great and is crystal clear compared to using the iPhone Pandora/Itunes radio.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »

Tell you what, as far as I am concerned HD could ELIMINATE the whole bloody audio system and put the R&D into the drive train.  I find the audio system on my 2015 CVO as an irritant more than anything else....that's one of the reasons I have put 6K on my BMW GSA and 1600 miles on the CVO this summer.  Oh by the way my Hard Candy CVO is still for sale.  Flame away...

I doubt any one will flame you here. A lot of us have various other makes in our stable I have a 2004 R1150 GSA and ride frequently. Have had BMW R1150 Rt, K1200 LTs. Have sold them all except the R1150 GSA. The RT & LT were great machines, however could never get into  comfortable long distance riding comfort with them. Changed foot pegs to floor board added risers still could not get comfortable, the most comfortable, even for long distance was the GSA and my ULTRA, 600 - 800 mile days were no problem.

You got ride what you like and feel good on.

geezerglide

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:45 AM »

Like Geezerglide said, I doubt anyone would flame you for expressing your opinion in that regard.  You paid big bucks to own a CVO, particularly 14-15's MSRPs.  I've always been a Harley guy (only bike I've ever bought), but I would not mind owning a K1600 or a GSA.  There's a ton of ex-Harley guys on the K1600 forum.  One of many; http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/73713-harleys-beemers-soul.html
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

ultrarider123

« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »

I've been across country on a bike with and without a sound system.  I prefer the sound system for those 500-600 mile days.  While it is more complicated than  the old system, the new system sounds better so I'm glad they spent R&D funds on it.  Plus, I run out of songs to sing to myself without it.... ;D
As for the GSA, glad you enjoy it.  BMW's are not for us short in stature.  I refuse to ride a bike I can't flat foot both feet at a stop but BMW does make a good product.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »

But until then... couldn't HD at least have figured out a Pandora tie in.  I mean even my Nissan can figure that out.

well, i don't know if this is what you meant, but with my iphone, the hd ipod controller, and a 30 pin to 9 pin adapter i can play pandora through my headunit.  no, i couldn't do the thumbs up/thumbs down thing, but until one of these recent ios updates, i could skip songs with my handlebar switches......
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »

...and to add insult to injury a stinkin CB radio, that's 60's right there. My cheap Garmin clone has excel, power point, ebook reader, wireless transmitter through the radio, video player, music player, and wifi on it and now cost about $50 with free delivery from China and its in a Garmin case !!  This is my second one since the first one got smashed in a crash, but at that cost they are pretty much disposable. Not waterproof but I just put a zip lock baggie over it and that works fine.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:07:43 AM by grandpadoc »

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »

well, i don't know if this is what you meant, but with my iphone, the hd ipod controller, and a 30 pin to 9 pin adapter i can play pandora through my headunit.  no, i couldn't do the thumbs up/thumbs down thing, but until one of these recent ios updates, i could skip songs with my handlebar switches......
My Nissan lets you pick from different Pandora "radio stations" as well as the thumbs up/down deal.  It also lets you see the artist info.  I frequently play Pandora on my '08 just using the headset cord.  Since HD can't figure out how to make a working XM antenna... (Windshield trim, tour pack rack, molded into outer fairing - someone get that company a clue catcher) and since I hate the Sirius/XM company with a passion, I use Pandora.  Same music,  no HOWARD STERN!!! and the money saved pays for a larger data package so I'm always good on my phone.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2015, 03:28:07 PM »

I've been across country on a bike with and without a sound system.  I prefer the sound system for those 500-600 mile days.  While it is more complicated than  the old system, the new system sounds better so I'm glad they spent R&D funds on it.  Plus, I run out of songs to sing to myself without it.... ;D
As for the GSA, glad you enjoy it.  BMW's are not for us short in stature.  I refuse to ride a bike I can't flat foot both feet at a stop but BMW does make a good product.
I walked into a BMW store a couple years ago, while standing there looking at one a salesman asked if he could help me I asked what is the seat height? He said 31" I said that leaves me out and turned and walked away.  :huepfenlol2:

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »

At 6'4" I don't have an issue with the GSA.  I do understand if you don't have at lease a 34 inch inseam, flatfooting at stop would be an issue.  Thanks for understanding my initial post.

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »

I am done with CVO's, sold the SERG and bought a new SGS and will do my own thing.

mark

« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »

I am done with CVO's, sold the SERG and bought a new SGS and will do my own thing.

X2. I'm planning on the same.  Next ride will be a RGS.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.