Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front break won't activate rear break light  (Read 2778 times)

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO Softail Springer Ann Edition 196/1050
Front break won't activate rear break light
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

I am one to search threads first for the answers before asking, however my searches with key words including "break light and front break" are yeilding threads far away from the topic I have a question on.

So here is my question: My CVO 08 Springer failed its anual saftey inspection because activating the front break does not engage the rear break light, what could be wrong?

The dealer failed it, and then they said they had no time to correct it.  So I brought the bike home using the rear break more often then ever before for safety reasons.  When I got home I thought how hard could it be?  And I started looking around a bit, I see the rear break line seems to operate the break light with a pressure sensor switch inline between the rear break cylinder and the rear tire caliper.  Made sense to me to look for something that looked the same between the front break lever and the front break caliper -- to my surprise there was nothing of the sort.

I own a 03 Sportster and a 01 Heritage so I looked at them both and I still don't understand....How does the front break activate the rear break light?

2008 CVO Softail Springer Ann Edition 196/1050

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Front break won't activate rear break light
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

I am one to search threads first for the answers before asking, however my searches with key words including "break light and front break" are yeilding threads far away from the topic I have a question on.

So here is my question: My CVO 08 Springer failed its anual saftey inspection because activating the front break does not engage the rear break light, what could be wrong?

The dealer failed it, and then they said they had no time to correct it.  So I brought the bike home using the rear break more often then ever before for safety reasons.  When I got home I thought how hard could it be?  And I started looking around a bit, I see the rear break line seems to operate the break light with a pressure sensor switch inline between the rear break cylinder and the rear tire caliper.  Made sense to me to look for something that looked the same between the front break lever and the front break caliper -- to my surprise there was nothing of the sort.

I own a 03 Sportster and a 01 Heritage so I looked at them both and I still don't understand....How does the front break activate the rear break light?

There is a switch in the right handlebar switch housing that is operated by the front brake lever (see attachment). 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boxman88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • States
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »

The dealer failed it, and then they said they had no time to correct it. 
Let me know who the dealer is that did that. I am close to you and won't ever stop or buy anything from them. What a Bull S#$t place that is.
Charcoal Slate / Carbon Dust
HD Super Tuner / Custom Map
VH Power Duals / H.O. Slip On's
121 Torque 111 Hp
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 944 Rear

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »

1st, I would find a new Dealer, but then good one are few & far between.  So assuming all your fuses are good, here is how you get to the front brake switch

There is a brake lite switch inside the switch housing that has the kill switch & starter button turn signal switch.  The typical failure is brake lite on all the time so yours is a little odd.  The brake lever rests against the switch and when you apply the front brake moving the lever a spring in the switch causes the switch to change condition & lite the brake light.

Take the 2 bolts out that hold the brake master cylinder on & very carefuly remove the master cylinder with brake lever, you can damage the brake switch if you are not careful.  Now there are just 2 screws to get to the switch, one top & one bottom on the switch housing.   I attached a pic I found online, not very good, but it shows the brake switch in the switch housing with the master cylinder removed.

Now when you press & release the switch the brake lite should go on/off  pressed in + off released = on.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Thanks guys.

With your comments and photos I found the switch and got it working again.

Working the switch in and out it started to work.  Seems like corosion somehow got up in there so I sprayed up under the rubber boot with some CRC Electrical contact cleaner.

It works with consistancy now, but has .5 second delay before the light goes bright -- Likely they will want to fail it for the delay first thing in the morning when they "have time".

If they try to fail it I will ride next door and have the "rice burner shop" give her the cert :)

You guys saved my wallet -- THANKS!!!!!

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »

May not have saved your wallet yet with what you describe, & the switch is $59 from HD.  I just bought one, expected it to be gold plated, it wasn't   :nixweiss:
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »

Yup, what he said.  If you're getting a delay in activation, it sounds like the switch plunger may still be sticking or the contacts are still gunked up.  You need to keep checking it, and if it doesn't clear up after some use you will need to replace the switch.  Don't look at it as just getting through the state inspection, look at it as a safety item that needs to be fully functional for your protection.  Thankfully it's a pretty easy repair that doesn't cost much if you do it yourself. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »

I AGREE.  Safety is always first in my book.  I will oder the switch and replace it myself before it fails totally.

Looks like the switch comes with 2 leads and you have to cut and solder the new one in.  Not a lot of room with it entering the bar within a short distance.

Is there a good trick for the install?  Or will there be a lot of cussing involved regardless?  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:55:25 PM by Brian22601 »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »

Or will there be a lot of cussing involved regardless?  :)

YES
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »

FUN.....I can't wait to get my big fingers into a tinny wad of wires with a hot soldering iron!!!!

Although it passed the inspection yesterday the back tire had wear -- I told them to replace the tire and do the rear pads while they were in there regardless.

I don't play around when it comes to safety, but I also don't want wallet emptied over the silly stuff that I can do myself.

I put burn ointment on the "to buy" list....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:30:00 PM by Brian22601 »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »

May not have saved your wallet yet with what you describe, & the switch is $59 from HD.  I just bought one, expected it to be gold plated, it wasn't   :nixweiss:

try this one:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3700060
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »

If you always use rear brake in conjunction with front brake, you will not have an issue....

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 25 queries.