Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bushtec trailer  (Read 8042 times)

Luigi

Bushtec trailer
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »

I am thinking of purchasing a Bushtec trailer seen at Sturgis this year. Any feedback on pulling with the CVO Ultra as it relates to handling and heat?

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
Re: Bushtec trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »

You won't event know it's there. We've pullled ours lots of miles and it's the best. No heat problems and it handles like a dream. Most importantly, wifey loves it so we're all happy!  :2vrolijk_21:

I'd say go for it.
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:54:44 PM »

Had Bushtecs for 10 years.  Best trailer on the market imo.  Pull like a dream.  Only thing that suffers a bit is the gas mileage.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »

Just came back from a trip to Ashville, pulling the Bushtec behind my CUSE at 90 m.p.h.  Had to look in the mirrors to see if it was still there.  As the old saying goes; " it will pass anything but a gas station".  :P
Hair of the Dog

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »

I have been taking my time looking at trailers and 2 have come of interest to me

1. Bushtec  two wheeled trailer

2. N-Line     one wheel trailer

I know guys that have trailered a lot of miles and each one swears by there particular trailer

What was real important to me was that the trailer does not bounce and both have suspension systems to stop this

The real interesting thing about the N-Line is it tracks in line with your wheels and leans with the bike. You avoid a hazzard with your bike and the trailer will also avoid it.

also with potholes you can avoid without one wheel catching the hole..........

also check out the tires on both........

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »

If all goes well I will be headed up to Jacksboro this weekend to take delivery of my Bushtec Roadstar. It is several weeks behind schedule due to the paint match issues but it is finally headed to final assembly tomorrow just in time for the 105th in Milwaukee, WI......
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »

Just a bit disapointed in Bushtec.

I recently bought a used Turbo +2.  I sent John an eamil telling him that it (the hitch and wiring) was coming off an an 02 Ultra Classic and that I'm riding an 04 SEEG.....will it bolt up or will I need anything.

He replied telling me that I'd need a V-rail to hide the receiver.  I didn't know what a V rail was/is but if I needed it, I wanted it.  We did the credit card thing over the phone and he shipped it out.  I received the V-rail and immediatly saw what it is......a fender bumper that's stock on most Electra Glide models.  It's not a "need" but a matter of his opinion of what looks good.

So now I've paid for this and for shipping and I don't like it.  I think it takes away from the clean lines of the SEEG fender even more than the hitch itself and it certainly doesn't hide anything and it's not structurally necessary.  I send John an email telling him my thoughts and that had I known that it wasn't a "need" but just a matter of opinion or taste.  He replied telling me to call Sally for a factory return authorization. 

I called Sally and she quickly told me that there will be a 15% restocking fee.  I explained to her that the only reason that I ordered it is because John had sent an email telling me that I'd need it but it's not a need......not only do I think I shouldn't be charged the 15% restocking fee, I also think that I should be reimbursed the original shipping fee.  John got on the phone and told me that they'd restock the full purchase price but that shipping was out of the question and that I'd have to pay for the return shipping also.

So my whole point in this post is just to be clear on what he means when he says "you'll need.........". 

This is not the kind of service that I remember from the original owner of Bushtec, before John bought it and moved the company to Tenn.

P/S  I've got a V-rail for sale......cheap, if somebody needs one.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »

JC, your experience with the current ownership and staff at Bushtec is 180 degrees opposite of what I've experienced with them now several times.  They've been the epitome of friendly and easy support and information.  Sorry your experience was otherwise.

As you've seen the V-Rail bumper doesn't hide the hitch completely.  It helps some.  But by no means a fully effective solution.  If you're still looking for another solution, however, consider the rear fascia from the Street Glides.  Both on the sides and rear it very effectively hides the hitch and does so while adding what to my eye has been only a nice extension to the lines of the bike.

It's on the site elsewhere.  But here's the FLHX rear piece with the Bushtec hitch:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »

Then with the hitch itself removed from the receiver:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »

In profile for a better illustration of what's hidden behind what:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »

LRebel......the V-rail shipped today.  You should have it at the end of the day on 9/9/08 :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:48:21 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »

they suggested it to me also but i went with the chrome LED extension piece instead.

Andrew Preston has been very helpful and responsive.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:42:50 PM »

they suggested it to me also but i went with the chrome LED extension piece instead.

/Bill

I'd thought about using that on the Road Glide.  It already had holes in the rear of the fender for fender trim so couldn't use the FLHX part.  Ended up just hanging the V-Rail.  It's ok-enough; at last for now.

Never could get my head around whether that chrome LED fender extension would be look ok back there or, perhaps, seem a bit bulky.  If yours is on already you got a picture?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »

I'd thought about using that on the Road Glide.  It already had holes in the rear of the fender for fender trim so couldn't use the FLHX part.  Ended up just hanging the V-Rail.  It's ok-enough; at last for now.

Never could get my head around whether that chrome LED fender extension would be look ok back there or, perhaps, seem a bit bulky.  If yours is on already you got a picture?

I actually think it looks better than I expected...the pipes are chome so it only compliments that versus sticking out No good picture available...bike is in the shop.  I used the 3m moulding tape to hold it on.  Best I have is this one:

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »

/Bill

I'd like to see a picture of that with the hitch installed, if you have one Bill?

Oopppss.....looks like we're posting on top of each other.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.