Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning Chrome with Old Technology  (Read 1608 times)

Manvessel

• CVO1: '11 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Cleaning Chrome with Old Technology
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »

Here's one for you.  Have (had??) a boatload of Chrome and Glass Cleaner (Sorry, is now NLA) from an Amway distibutor that quit and I bought back the inventory.  Never had use for it until I got my "scooter".  Tried it on the chrome piece mounted on the fuel tank in front of the riders seat and the pipes that had some surface scratches.  Took out all the scratches on pipes (as well as some boot marks) and reduced the scratches on the tank chrome by about 50%.  Next tried on the rear wheel (Agitator).  Brought it back to new shine.  If you can find a distributor that still has some, offer him/her $.50/tub.  The stuff is very hard (like polishing clay) and last forever.

P.S.  Was in the paint industry for 15 years.  Watch out what you use on your wheels and near rubber hoses.  Chlorine and hydrocharbon chemicals will pull the "moisture" out of your rubber and dry-rot the heck out it.

mark

Re: Cleaning Chrome with Old Technology
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »

...also remember chlorine doesn't play well with metals, especially chrome plated billet aluminum and stainless steel.  Don't forget to remove all chemicals from your garage, including fertilizer. 

Many horror stories (including mine) out there about chemical damage to motorcycles.   

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »

...also remember chlorine doesn't play well with metals, especially chrome plated billet aluminum and stainless steel.  Don't forget to remove all chemicals from your garage, including fertilizer. 

Many horror stories (including mine) out there about chemical damage to motorcycles.   

That is great advise. I have never given that a thought.
Thanks!
Tom P

mark

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »

From experience, I know.  During Hurricane Katrina, I moved all the outside items (pool chlorine, etc.) in my garage with my CVO.  Bike was covered with a dust cover and I spent the next couple of months dealing with hurricane issues.  Finally took cover off and had a meltdown...$6k in chrome damage from a bucket of chlorine sitting in garage (with lid on bucket).  Insurance covered damage but I was sick.  Guy at Harley shop in Houston told me they see chemical damage all to frequently.  Said he had a guy try to trade in a V-Rod that looked like it had been in the ocean for a yr...so bad the dealer wouldn't take it.  He also said fertilizer will do a number on your bike and car. 

Go in a pool store and notice that all the shelves, etc are rusted... :(

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »

Yeah, we've got some experts with experience on this site in the clorine/pool chemicals arena.....nothing to mess with.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.