Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Park City to Cripple Creek Loop  (Read 9553 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re:  Park City to Cripple Creek Loop
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 02:54:19 AM »

At home in the clouds on top of Mt Evans
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 02:57:29 AM by Rjob749 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 02:58:00 AM »

Me on the way down below the summit.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 03:10:04 AM »

Thursday was the free day and many were to ride Pikes Peak.  Threatening weather in the area may have a say in the ride but when we arose Thursday AM the weather was clear and warm.

Big Al, Mike (Al's friend) and I decided that it was time to say good bye to the group and head home.  We would work our way north to Park City for the night.  After breakfast with Canuck and wife Sue, Mike and Al helped Canuck relocate his tour pack rearward for the ride home to give Sue a bit more room and add some additional riding comfort for Kerry.

We departed the gas station around 10:30am for a ride north.  We would arrive in Park City after a great day of riding at 9:00pm, 617 miles later.

During the ride north we encountered high wind and threatening clouds but never got any rain and as we headed north we eventually got out of the weather and into bright blue sky.

We took a route that went again through Breckenridge and then out to Meeker, Vernal and to Park City.  We were able to cruise at whatever speed suited us most all of which would be 75 or better most of the way especially on the interstate stretch through Vail and Aspen as we made a jog west and then turned north for the final stretch to Park City.

Nearing the end of our day Mike noted he had lost his rear brake so we stopped at Beer's HD in Vernal, Utah just after they closed at 6pm.  The young lady behind the counter found a partial bottle of DOT 5 for Mikes Roadglide (2002?) and we bled the brake in the parking lot and got some pedal back for him.  

Then it was on to the final leg into Park City arriving none too soon as the temperature was dropping quickly along with the setting of the sun.

Big Al, me and Mike (lft to rt) in front of Beer's in Vernal.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 03:11:49 AM »

No it isn't a Honda/Polaris dealer it is also a HD shop.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 03:12:16 AM by Rjob749 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 03:22:01 AM »

And here's a final couple of shots of the bike as it sits in the garage in Park City waiting to hit the trailer for the haul home on Saturday.

I should be able to pick it up from the guy that I hooked up with, who just happened to be going down to Park City and back at the time of our trip, on Sunday morning early and as you see in the next two shots, it will need some serious attention after the rainshower on Wednesday night returning to Cripple Creek and the 600 miles to Park City Thursday.

All in all this was the best ride with the best group of people I have had the pleasure to ride with.  Canuck pointed out at our group dinner on Wednesday night how well we all rode together with very little confusion or showboating (no showboating that I am aware of from anyone).

The guys who are responsible for this thing coming together "ALL" did a fantastic job and deserve a huge "Thank You" again we can not thank them enough.

Here's a hint though, next year the ride will head into our neighbor to the north in August.  Canuck will spearhead the ride.  I'll let him or someone else announce the details elsewhere, but I can tell you......Anyone who wants to meet some great folks, ride in beautiful surroundings and have many fond memories of a summer event won't want to miss the CVO Gathering in the West for 2007 [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 03:26:49 AM by Rjob749 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 03:23:22 AM »

Rode hard for 1,678 miles and put away dirty.............not for long but for now.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 04:56:04 AM »

Rode hard for 1,678 miles and put away dirty.............not for long but for now.

STOP BY AND SEE FIREDOOD, HE'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO GIVE YOU A FULL DETAIL. ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 10:30:52 AM »

STOP BY AND SEE FIREDOOD, HE'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO GIVE YOU A FULL DETAIL. ;D
Since it's already packed in a trailer, just send it to Virginia. I'll clean it up for your, and put it back in trailer all nice and clean (after I add a few miles on it [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]).

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »

Since it's already packed in a trailer, just send it to Virginia. I'll clean it up for your, and put it back in trailer all nice and clean (after I add a few miles on it [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]).
 [smiley=pumpkin.gif]Ride Safe,Fired00d [smiley=fireman.gif]

D00d, you and Gettinhold are only too helpful.  I wish it wasn't in the trailer but time only allowed for me to do the Sunday to Friday thing with the ride.  

I am looking forward to picking it up in the early morning tomorrow and giving it the much needed bath and shine.  Every bug and splash of mud that comes of will bring back a fond memory of the trip to Cripple Creek.  You know, I can sit here and close my eyes and remember stretches of S turns that were spaced so perfectly that you transitioned from left to right and back to left without ever needing to be upright, just gently gliding from one bank to another the warm wind in your face and your new friends close by enjoying the entire experience with you.

Man, I can't wait to do it again [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Crossing the Royal Gorge suspension bridge

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »

Is that bridge just for scooters, and pedestrians? Also is it two-way traffic on it? It appears to be awful narrow.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »

Is that bridge just for scooters, and pedestrians? Also is it two-way traffic on it? It appears to be awful narrow.

Well, I was thinking of holding out on this post and doing a BigDaddy thank you to everyone on the site.  I actually had hoped to be able to do this 1,000th post while at Cripple Creek but it was to much to expect that I would get 15 posts done on my phone and time was at a premium there since we all were having a great time.

So it is only fitting that I answer d00d's question about the bridge since he has been one of the guys I have sparred with the most on this site.

I believe that you may even be able to drive your car across it for a price, they had "disabled" parking on the other side.  Yes it is two way and it is shared by all, including a trolley that runs folks around the park.  They have some buffalo and goats etc on the far side to entertain the kids young and old.  They also have a platform that shoots you out over the canyon like a bungie cord affair, however it didn't seem to be operating or no hearty souls were up to it, certainly not me.

As you'll see in the pic here you can stop out there and take photos and look down etc.  It is a bit un-nerving, I heard a park guide explaining how the replace the boards from time to time when they break.  I think they were a 3x12.

Anyway to get back to the 1000th post.  I have always enjoyed the interaction on the site and the great info we all get and share, but the entire experience of being on the site and then meeting so many of you at Cripple Creek has been a "Harley" changing experience for me.

I have owned some 18 Harley's and while I have logged a great number of miles, they have been mostly local and within the state, mostly I guess due to my inability to get a week off for vacation, or maybe just because I haven't had a good enough reason to take a week off for a vacation.  Well, never again.  I will try to make as many CVO rides as I can in the future.

Yes I know, work will still bite me in the a$$ so I won't make as many as I want, but I will make an honest effort to get to them.  I encourage everyone here to do the same, especially if you haven't made one of the rides to experience one for yourself.

So [highlight]thank you [/highlight]to one and all and special thanks to the likes of naitram, Fired00d, Twolane, BigDaddy, Canuck, Big Al, Geezerglide, AK, WFP, Mr Magoo, Cuthbertss, Spyglide, Spiderman, hd-dude, 103tHunDer, JCZ, bgregston, SEultra, Cigarmike, theVgirl, iselbulls, erniezap, sanjoseduke, CVOJoe, Grover, No-rain, arcticdude, Nasty Habit, bungy and all who I have had the pleasure to post with and meet at Cripple Creek.

I am looking forward to many more posts and rides together [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Here's to you.[smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 01:40:45 PM by Rjob749 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »

Thanks for the information. That bridge would be a little unnerving. I get the shakes when going across metal expansion bridges and bike feeling squirly under you. This bridge is intimidating just looking at it, none less riding/driving across it, then to stop and take pictures, yikes!

Congrats on your 1000th post, and more importantly the 1001st post that now has made you a "1k CVO Member" [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I'm definitely getting the feeling that not attending one of these events is going to be a major mistake. Just listening to the stories, and seeing the pictures it's a fun time that one shouldn't miss out on. I would put this right up there with going to Sturgis at least once in your lifetime if you are a biker. Attending a CVO event if you belong to this website shouldn't be something that one should miss out on. On that note I mentioned to the wife (causally to see what kind of reaction I'd get) that I was thinking about attending MV. I didn't get any negative vibes so far, so we will see how this develops. I don't have time off to do the entire event, but reading your recap and realizing that some that attend event don't stay for the entire time has made me reconsider.

So score now is: Attending Maggie Valley (for some if not all) 75% - Not attending Maggie Valley 25%  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »

Thanks for the information. That bridge would be a little unnerving. I get the shakes when going across metal expansion bridges and bike feeling squirly under you. This bridge is intimidating just looking at it, none less riding/driving across it, then to stop and take pictures, yikes!
Congrats on your 1000th post, and more importantly the 1001st post that now has made you a "1k CVO Member" [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
I'm definitely getting the feeling that not attending one of these events is going to be a major mistake. Just listening to the stories, and seeing the pictures it's a fun time that one shouldn't miss out on. I would put this right up there with going to Sturgis at least once in your lifetime if you are a biker. Attending a CVO event if you belong to this website shouldn't be something that one should miss out on. On that note I mentioned to the wife (causally to see what kind of reaction I'd get) that I was thinking about attending MV. I didn't get any negative vibes so far, so we will see how this develops. I don't have time off to do the entire event, but reading your recap and realizing that some that attend event don't stay for the entire time has made me reconsider.
So score now is: Attending Maggie Valley (for some if not all) 75% - Not attending Maggie Valley 25%  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

You definitely have the picture.....what a blast.  When you posted I was looking at the MV site and wondering how I could manage it and thought I'd see if Canuck had any interest.  I would have to do the trailer thing and find a driver but I can get 7 bikes in my Featherlite and may have to see if I can figure out a plan to make it back there.  It would be great to complete my West/East CVO pin and even greater to meet some more folks to ride with.  

If I lived within 1,000 miles ore even 2,000 I'd be there for sure.

And thanks for the thank you on my posts [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Check out the river in the bottom of the canyon off the bridge............also, almost forgot the aerial tram just below the ridge to the right of center, it's red.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 01:55:53 PM by Rjob749 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »

Rjob749......congratulations on the 1K posts !!!!  You've added a lot to the site with your input and I'm looking forward to meeting you at the next 'gathering'.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2006, 03:01:11 PM »

Definite two way traffic Gary.  Didn't get tight til you had bikes on both sides and pedestrians in the middle all at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 26 queries.