Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2019 - One & Done  (Read 1908 times)

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2019 - One & Done
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:09:56 PM »

One & Done – Mission Myrtle

One Day – 12 Hours – 487 Miles

Living just 4 hours from Myrtle Beach we usually go there two or three times a year. Normally one of those trips is a 3 to 4 day visit during Bike Week either spring or fall.

Well I had a National Sales Meeting to attend this week in Indy. Then I had an appointment with a key customer Friday afternoon that had been planed for several weeks. So, my wife was disappointed we would not be going down. We’ve had 16 out of 19 weekends with RAIN and yeah, this one was all sunshine. So, I made a suggestion. Let’s ride down on Saturday. The catch was we had to be home Sunday so it would be a one day down and back. We have done it before but not during bike week. She was all smiles and said “Let’s Rock & Roll”.

So the alarm goes off at 6 am Saturday morning. We looked at each other and smiled like we are CRAZY! We laid there about 25 minutes and finally got up in slow motion. Not good for a 500 mile day. Then we finally were ready to go. The thermo-meter showed 63 degrees outdoors at 7 am. We opened the garage, put some water in the tour pack, checked the oil level, tire pressures and gave everything a quick once over. Time to fire the beast up.

We rolled out of the neighborhood at 7:28 am quietly. We leaned left onto the main road and in 2nd gear I twisted the throttle all the way to 5 grand and cranked up the stereo. Just 1.8 miles later we leaned left and rolled down the ramp to I-40 east bound toward the twin cities that tobacco built.

We did not put jackets on and were soaking in the 63 degree temps as fast as the 114 was sucking it in and it felt good!

We hit I-74, rolled though High Point, Asheboro and waved at the Riders Edge class mounting up at Cox HD hoping that everyone of them would eventually get to enjoy their Harley as much as we do!

“The road has got me hypnotized and we’re ridin into a new sunrise”

We rolled though both traffic lights in Rockingham on Green and had not put our feet down since we left home. There were tons of bikes and trailers heading home and most looked at us like where are you guys going?

Finally 2 hours in and 150 miles I stopped for fuel and a bathroom/butt break. We kept on trucking and exited onto some two lane roads over to 701 to SC9 headed for North Myrtle. We rolled into Captain Archie’s at 11:10 am and got our picture made. A stop we go every time for the photo. We would have eaten lunch there, but I wanted to try a place we have not eaten at before. So we rolled on and crossed the draw bridge over to Snooky’s On The Water. Yeah that turned out to be an excellent choice. The food, service and view were awesome!

Now it is 1 o’clock and we have to be on the road home by 3 pm to assure we arrive before dark. The decision was made since we were in North Myrtle to skip Murrell’s Inlet. We went down to Barefoot Landing, got another picture and stopped to check out all the vendors.

By this time it was a toasty 95 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOT

At 2:30 we had had enough. We were about to melt. We fired up, hit the bypass over to 501 and had Myrtle Beach in our rear view mirror as fast as we had arrived. We stopped at Galivants Ferry for a fuel gallons of Sonoco, split a candy bar and sucked down a bottle of water. I reapplied sunscreen and off we go.

By the time we got to Bennettsville we were beat. I stopped in the Bojangles and we went in. The guy asked what he could get us and I asked how much it would cost to go stand in the freezer for 10 minutes. He broke down laughing and just about led us back there! We both got a LARGE sweet tea and just chilled. Refilled the teas a second time and after 30 minutes got our second wind. I went in the restroom and soaked my head and pulled my tucked in t-shirt out. The wife was laughing when i walked out! We were less than 20 miles to the NC state line so we put the helmets back on and rolled on down 38 back toward I-74.

“The radio is playing some forgotten song, Brenda Lee's comin' on strong”

We got our second wind and while the temps were still over 90 there was shade and it was bearable. We were a ½ mile from home and I looked down and it was 7:28 PM! Yeah it was a 12 hour one and done Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2019!

"We got a thing that's called Radar Love"

Praise God for a wonderful co-pilot, fantastic bike and safe roads!

Heading out Thursday for DC. Stay tuned…

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Re: Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2019 - One & Done
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:11:11 PM »

Barefoot Landing

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 11:29:35 PM »

Waiting on the draw bridge. Man it was HOT!

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »

Captain Archie's

Best pictures on the strand.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »

Snooky's for lunch.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:32:56 PM »

We will stop here again.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:35:22 PM »

My new friend John from Greenville. Man that was a BLACKED OUT Bike!

The 23 inch front wheel is just the right size.

Nice guy!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 05:24:35 AM »

Thanks for sharing the experience and pleased you made it in one piece!  Enjoy the last Rollin' Thunder!

:2vrolijk_21:

floresb

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE - gone
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »

Thank you for sharing!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »

Thanks for sharing!  That was a long day especially with the heat.  My co-pilot is also wonderful but she hates that kind of heat so we try to avoid it unless it is just highway running. 

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 26 queries.