Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is NOT normal  (Read 1881 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
This is NOT normal
« on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:32 AM »

Thoroughly disgusted by Harley Davidson's "service" policies.   :sauer005:

I had Jim at Metal Dragon do some work on my CVOSG a couple weeks ago.  While changing out the rear 32t sprocket for a 30t, Jim found the compensator to be pitted and scored, plus a groove gouged in it.  He also found the engine to be very noisy, and recommended having it fixed by HD while still under warranty.  Bike is a 2012 with about 8000 miles.

After leaving my bike at Quaid's HD in Loma Linda for ten days, this is what they came up with:

Compensator was pristine.  At least that's what they said at first.  When I insisted they check it again, they admitted that it has some wear, but it was considered to be "normal".   :rolleyes4:  Wouldn't fix it under warranty, wanted me to pay for it if they replaced it.

As for the several noises in the motor, they said one was from lifter bleed-down.  The noise was pretty loud until it warmed up, then becomes intermittent.  Of course, said it was "normal".   :rolleyes4:  They said another noise was probably piston slap (which is what I thought) from poor manufacturing practices/tolerances.  But guess what?  Piston slap is "normal"  :rolleyes4:  for this motor, too.

Finally, the dealer said that it's losing oil at a rate of about one quart every 2000 miles.  When I said that's unacceptable for a new modern motor, they said the 110s can lose up to 1qt every 1000 miles and still be considered within "normal"   :rolleyes4:  range.

We paid $35,000 for these bikes.  How can HD stay in business with such poor quality and service?   Anybody up for a petition demanding the mothership get its chit together?  How about a boycott of HD parts and service?  (I know we'll continue to buy their bikes; it's a compulsion). 

Just venting, feeling frustrated.   :soapbox:  I don't think I'm the only one, though.

Dan

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: This is NOT normal
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:02:52 AM »

Not enough time on mine to make an informed decision but I hear where youre coming from. Trying own a cool bike and support American manufacturing only to have problems is cause for concern.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:24:08 AM »

So far the only response you've gotten is from that lousy dealer.  Now you need to go directly to the folks who built it and who warrant it.  Anyone who takes the word of a Harley dealer as gospel is sure to get screwed repeatedly, IMHO.

We've had several discussions around here about premature wear on compensator's, piston slap, and noisy lifters that don't pump back up immediately, so I won't beat that horse again.  And while we all know that modern engines don't use a quart of oil every 2k miles, Harley does in fact think it's still 1975 when everyone including automotive companies considered 1000 miles per quart normal.  That doesn't mean you have to accept that without an argument.  Contact H-D directly and go over your issues, then ask them to step up and do the right thing.  And find another dealership;  one way to encourage lousy dealers to remain that way is to continue to do business with them.  Even if you have to ride another 50 miles to find a better one, do it.

Good luck.  And depending on how Harley handles this, remember it when it's time to buy another bike or another accessory.  The same thing that applies to dealers also applies to manufacturer's.  If people just let them screw them with impunity, guess what, they will continue to do so forever.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:35 AM »

When my amp failed on my 2011 and after discussing with the 4 dealers in town about getting one on order to no avail I called Harley directly and complained loudly. I told them that if they chose to allow me to operate a vehicle that they manufactured and had a crash due to my distraction related to the hit & miss situation of the amp that they would be hit with a product liability law suit.

It was a fairly long conversation that I ask them to record and then repeat back to me.

Needless to say they shipped the replacement amp to my purchasing dealer within 2 weeks (lead time had been upwards of 2 months). When the amp came in the dealer told me that they could not get it replaced for about 3 weeks. I called the other dealers and was told the same thing. That same day I called Harley back and explained the delay and the concern of a product liability law suit.

20 minutes after that call I received a call from my purchasing dealer who said to bring it up in the morning and they would replace it while I waited. The next day and 45 minutes later problem solved.

I think the use of the terms "law suit" and "product liability" go a long way to getting the attention of large publically traded organizations.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »

We paid $35,000 for these bikes.  How can HD stay in business with such poor quality and service?   Anybody up for a petition demanding the mothership get its chit together?  How about a boycott of HD parts and service?  (I know we'll continue to buy their bikes; it's a compulsion). 

Dan

Because we still have a belief that an American company can not be as bad as they really are and still after knowing all of their downsides.....purchase another lemon from them and when it is not what is expected....trade it in for another one :2vrolijk_21:

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

Because we still have a belief that an American company can not be as bad as they really are and still after knowing all of their downsides.....purchase another lemon from them and when it is not what is expected....trade it in for another one :2vrolijk_21:

I think that means we are INSANE!  We must all need HELP  :nixweiss:

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »

Don you guys have the "lemon" law down there in the US? Return the dam thing. If my CVO was this bad I would be all over Harley Canada's ass to do something about it. And I am 100% sure they wold. Nothing like pressure by the consumer to get the results you need.    I posted this on another thread, I had 2008 Road King, way off warranty by this point. My gas tank started leaking. Called Harley Canada and asked if they can do something as a leaking gas tank is so unusual. So , they payed for a new tank, and labor. All I had to pay is $150 deductable? Worked out great, and kept me as a customer. Go get them tiger. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »

I suggest you write a letter to the MoCo, and let them know what happened.  Conveniently, they have to email address to send complaints to.  I had an issue on my compensator (bolt loosened up and ground its way through my outer primary with 75 miles on the odometer), so I sent them a letter saying so.  Never got a response, but I'm hoping others who have problems like this will add to the count of frustrated customers. You're right--for the price of these bkes, the least they could do is develop a comp that works.

Harley Davidson Customer Care
3700 W. Juneau Ave
Milwaukee WI 53208

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:43 AM »

Over the years I have had lots of work performed by the dealer as warranty items.  Up to and including rebuilding engines. 

Do not know all of the specifics but this sounds like a "this" dealer problem. 

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »

Harley Davidson Customer Care

This name is an Oxymoron  :o if you ask me.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »

When my amp failed on my 2011 and after discussing with the 4 dealers in town about getting one on order to no avail I called Harley directly and complained loudly. I told them that if they chose to allow me to operate a vehicle that they manufactured and had a crash due to my distraction related to the hit & miss situation of the amp that they would be hit with a product liability law suit.

It was a fairly long conversation that I ask them to record and then repeat back to me.

Needless to say they shipped the replacement amp to my purchasing dealer within 2 weeks (lead time had been upwards of 2 months). When the amp came in the dealer told me that they could not get it replaced for about 3 weeks. I called the other dealers and was told the same thing. That same day I called Harley back and explained the delay and the concern of a product liability law suit.

20 minutes after that call I received a call from my purchasing dealer who said to bring it up in the morning and they would replace it while I waited. The next day and 45 minutes later problem solved.

I think the use of the terms "law suit" and "product liability" go a long way to getting the attention of large publically traded organizations.

Ha!  Now that's great customer service!   :2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »

Thoroughly disgusted by Harley Davidson's "service" policies.   :sauer005:

I had Jim at Metal Dragon do some work on my CVOSG a couple weeks ago.  While changing out the rear 32t sprocket for a 30t, Jim found the compensator to be pitted and scored, plus a groove gouged in it.  He also found the engine to be very noisy, and recommended having it fixed by HD while still under warranty.  Bike is a 2012 with about 8000 miles.

After leaving my bike at Quaid's HD in Loma Linda for ten days, this is what they came up with:

Compensator was pristine.  At least that's what they said at first.  When I insisted they check it again, they admitted that it has some wear, but it was considered to be "normal".   :rolleyes4:  Wouldn't fix it under warranty, wanted me to pay for it if they replaced it.

As for the several noises in the motor, they said one was from lifter bleed-down.  The noise was pretty loud until it warmed up, then becomes intermittent.  Of course, said it was "normal".   :rolleyes4:  They said another noise was probably piston slap (which is what I thought) from poor manufacturing practices/tolerances.  But guess what?  Piston slap is "normal"  :rolleyes4:  for this motor, too.

Finally, the dealer said that it's losing oil at a rate of about one quart every 2000 miles.  When I said that's unacceptable for a new modern motor, they said the 110s can lose up to 1qt every 1000 miles and still be considered within "normal"   :rolleyes4:  range.

Just venting, feeling frustrated.   :soapbox:  I don't think I'm the only one, though.

Dan

Find another dealer.
Scott

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »

This name is an Oxymoron  :o if you ask me.

They do  fantastic job too :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Who else can you call where you are told to essentially....go have sex with yourself and your bike......when you hang up you feel like you must  go out and purchase another one :huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 22 queries.