Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need advice for some upgrades  (Read 2958 times)

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Need advice for some upgrades
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »

I own a 2004 Cobalt Blue/Black FXSTDSE2 and plan to upgrade my exhaust and air intake. I have read thru much of this forum and found many nice looking exhausts and intakes. I am not versed in calibration/SERT/PC regarding re tuning the ECU and would need advice there also. I was looking at SE "slash down slip ons" but looking at the photos of other exhausts on this forum has me looking at alternatives to "slip ons". I just want to do the right thing the first time so any suggestions would be appreciated and I will submit photos afterwards.
John

46knuck

• LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE
Re: Need advice for some upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

You should talk to Chris at H D Drifters if you want to know what works. He runs on the NHRA pro motorcycle tour and is not just a rider but a tuner first. He did mine and after it came off the dyno was perfect. Call him at 559-896-5378 or check www.driftersperformance     :2vrolijk_21:
2003 Heritage softail
2003 Deuce  SE
1946 Indian Chief
2000 Dyna low rider  (wife)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

You need to know what you are looking to accomplish.  Better sound?  More HP?  More sustained Torque?  Cooler engine?  You can change your pipes to SE slip ons for better sound and negligible improvements to HP and TQ without a retune.  To get a cooler engine, measurable improvement in HP and TQ you'll need at least to swap out the air cleaner and have the bike dynotuned also.  To improve HP and TQ even more, change out the whole exhaust to an after market and have the bike dynotuned.  Now, some mods have maps posted here that you can compare your bike to and avoid the cost of dynotuning.  If you are PC savvy enough you can use the map provided to get your bike close to running good.  This will require an aftermarket tuning software to override your ECM.

Best advise I have is don't rush into anything until you've heard bikes and talked with other owners and then decide what's right for you.   :cherry:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

46knuck

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »

Here is a little info to chew on  ..........................

http://driftersperformance.com/index1_010.htm

http://driftersperformance.com/index1_008.htm
2003 Heritage softail
2003 Deuce  SE
1946 Indian Chief

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 01:54:20 PM »

Thanks jgeorge102 and 46knuck,
I have gone onto driftersperformance.com and have verified my position regarding the race tuner and have made a copy of the comparison between the tuner and PC. I only wish I was near them in California. I live in Northville Michigan and (as mentioned) getting ready to do my upgrade when its warmer (probably mid March).

What I am trying to accomplish here is to get all I can out of the 95 inch motor without going inside. From what I have been told these past couple years is that if I get rid of the stock mufflers and air induction I can get another four or five HP out of the 1550. I would like a better sound than the stock mufflers also but that wouldn't warrant another 1000.00 or so dollars. I want the looks also as was the reason I got this bike in the first place. I have 14700 trouble free miles on it and furthest ridden was from here in Northville to Sturgis and back in 2006.

I am going to a bike exposition tomorrow thats in town for the weekend. At this time I am taking the advice of jgeorge by looking around and asking more questions. Only sure thing is I will get a SERT if I decide to go along with the air induction (Screamin Eagle "heavy breather" performance air cleaner kit, Screamin Eagle street performance slip on mufflers "slash down", and SERT).

My plan would be to install everything myself then take it the the HD dealer in Farmington Mich (Motor City HD) to get it dyno calibrated.

I thank both of you for your help and anything else you can pass my way. I still want to look at a complete exhaust system and will keep you posted
John

46knuck

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »

When I did my 03' Heritage I gained almost 15 hp with just a set of Vance and Hines straight shots and a Harley SE air cleaner. We then used the HD  tuner down load and Dyno. I touched nothing inside and got good hp for less than $1000 
2003 Heritage softail
2003 Deuce  SE
1946 Indian Chief

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »

Thanks agan 46knuck,
My son asked me that question yesterday (re how much I expect to gain for 1000.00) and I told him I really didn't know although from what I read should exceed five more. With your reply makes me feel all the better. As mentioned I will be going to a trade show this morning at the Novi Convention center. Maybe I can get some more info re the Maps
Thanks agan
John

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.