Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MY SWINGING ARMS ARE LEAKING WATER!!  (Read 1221 times)

jazz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Happy Hog!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 3
MY SWINGING ARMS ARE LEAKING WATER!!
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »

Advice needed:
I was riding two weeks ago for a full day in almost constant rain, and at times there was about an inch laying on the road.  I got the bike home and dried it out, there was a heap of water on the electrics and the seat was swamped.  Every day during the following week I kept mopping up a little water off the floor, I thought a cat had must have been in my garage and pissed on the bike, but no cat could possibly get in!   I have just found the source of the water dripping.  I noticed that the underside of the swinging arm on the left side was damp.  I took out the centre nut that secures the belt guard to the underside of the swingarm and water literally ran out of it.  I got over a mug full of rusty water until it stopped dripping.  My question is, how the heck did it get in there in the first place???? :confused5:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: MY SWINGING ARMS ARE LEAKING WATER!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »

:nixweiss:
I'm not sure about your model,  but many of the swing arms have holes that are an "X" distance away from the axle bolt.   You stick a wire into the hole and measure back to the axle and make sure the distance is the same on both sides when you are re-mounting the tire/wheel.

If you have those holes,  that is likely how the water got in there.

jazz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Happy Hog!

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

Thanks for that.  I have a 2010 CVO Spiced Rum.

Ride Safe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »

The water is most likely getting in at a manufacturing drain hole located in the front of the swingarm.  It's used in manufacturing to allow liquid to drain as the part hangs on a conveyor line.  This was a common complaint on the early '09 models (the first year for this swingarm) due to the rusty water dribbling out, and H-D put out a bulletin to the dealers telling them to enlarge the drain hole in the belt guard that is supposed to line up with the drain hole in the swingarm.  Sounds like yours either isn't big enough, or it doesn't line up properly, so the water isn't able to quickly drain out.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:32:13 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jazz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Happy Hog!

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »

The water is most likely getting in at a manufacturing drain hole located in the front of the swingarm.  It's used in manufacturing to allow liquid to drain as the part hangs on a conveyor line.  This was a common complaint on the early '09 models (the first year for this swingarm) due to the rusty water dribbling out, and H-D put out a bulletin to the dealers telling them to enlarge the drain hole in the belt guard that is supposed to line up with the drain hole in the swingarm.  Sounds like yours either isn't big enough, or it doesn't line up properly, so the water isn't able to quickly drain out.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I am off to my dealer next week and will see what they have to say.  Other than that problem the scoot is a great ride! :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:20:02 PM »

You might want to print out that Tech Tip I attached to my previous post and take it along with you to the dealer.  Just in case they have amnesia and don't remember receiving the information.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »

Yea, and give a nasty paper cut when you hand it them...  :D

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »

You might want to print out that Tech Tip I attached to my previous post and take it along with you to the dealer.  Just in case they have amnesia and don't remember receiving the information.

Jerry

Seems to be very contagious...........
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

ultrafan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »

had the same problem on my 03 never found out how it got there but i replaced my swing arm because it would now be rusting from the inside out did not want to take a chance on it getting weak some thing you might want to consider

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

had the same problem on my 03 never found out how it got there but i replaced my swing arm because it would now be rusting from the inside out did not want to take a chance on it getting weak some thing you might want to consider

I don't think it's necessary to replace a new swingarm due to some minor interior surface rust.  BTW, take a peek inside some of the frame tubes on your bike and you will likely find some blush rust just like you will find inside the swingarms.

I suggest drying the swingarm out with compressed air and then sealing the holes in the swingarm that allow the water in (basically on the new swingarms that would be the the holes where the brake line clips attach and the manufacturing drain hole at the front), and if it makes you feel better you could spray a rust preventative into the remaining drain hole at the belt guard to coat the inside of the swingarm.  I wouldn't seal up that last drain hole; you still need a way for water to get out if it manages to get in. 

Jerry

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 08:50:21 PM »

I spray WD40 inside the swingarm every few month just makes me feel better.  :nixweiss:

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.