Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: FLHXSE2 Oil  (Read 4669 times)

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP
FLHXSE2 Oil
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »

I have a FLHXSE2 and was wondering what people thought of different oils?  Amsoil, Royal Purple, Harley synthetic?  Any others?  After 2000mile break in or latter?  Good place to get a good price on the oil, etc.
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Re: FLHXSE2 Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »

If you choose Amsoil you can get a commerial account at no charge. I pay around $8 a quart thru my account.
 Gary

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »

Amsoil 20-50, nothing else :)  I change at 1000, then 4000 and every 3000 miles there after.  I also use Amsoil 20-50 in the primary and Amsoil Severe Gear Oil 75-110 in the Tranny EVERY TIME I CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL! I also use K & N oil filters exclusively.  They have a 17 mm nut on the end and it makes oil changes much easier!

G

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:03 AM »

Gary, can that commercial account be set up online? If not, then how? That's good intel, that I'd like to exploit.
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:40 AM »

Has anyone tried the metal reusable oil filters?
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »

Has anyone tried the metal reusable oil filters?

I have one......I spent $200.00 on it.  Bought a second filter insert as well as extra gaskets, just to have them.  They work and also act as a quasi oil cooler.  For me, it was just a PITA because I use a scavenger and I had to take the baseplate off to use the scavenger.  If you are interested in it, I'd be happy to work out a deal with you on it :)

Glenn

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

Gary, can that commercial account be set up online? If not, then how? That's good intel, that I'd like to exploit.

I think so. It's easy. I need to go to work. When I get home I'll get you the info.
 Gary

Old Harley Dude

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE, Spiced Rum
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »

I have a FLHXSE2 and was wondering what people thought of different oils?  Amsoil, Royal Purple, Harley synthetic?  Any others?  After 2000mile break in or latter?  Good place to get a good price on the oil, etc.

Take a look at Redline oils.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

As to the question of being able to setup an account with Amsoil you can do that on line on there website. I use Amsoil in the motor and Redline in the P&T. My best friend uses Redline in his motor 20/60 and he loves it.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »

Hey Doc, the guy that set up my account is David Reid. Here is his web site: http://synthetic-solutions.com/contact.htm
Call him and he can give you all the info you will need.
In the mean time I just received an email from Amsoil saying they are having a small price increase on certain products. You can bet it's on there most popular product, engine oil.
Last year I was paying $6.50 a quart. Now about $8. Wonder what the small increase is. If you contact David, ask him to comment on the recent increases.
 Gary

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Everyone you ask will say that the oil they use is the best, so I am just going to say I have owned 6 H-D's, I always use Mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 in the engine and primary chaincase and Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube in the trans. I personally have never had a H-D that used any oil or had a lubricated part fail! Good luck/oil?  It can be purchased at most Autozone, Advanced auto parts even at some H-D dealers for arount 9 bucks a quart.  I am not saying it's the best oil ever, just always worked for me. Hope this helps.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:50:35 PM »

I suspect ones as good as another. I use Amsoil because it's cheaper. But it is rising in price.
 Gary

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »

Mobil 1 20w/50w in the motor, Redline Shockproof in the trans.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »

Alright Guys, the oil question can go round and round...  But what about this idea:

HD carries a two year unlimitied mileage Warranty on the engine.  Wouldn't that make them want to use the BEST SYNTHETIC oil available on the market?  I cannot shoot holes in this arguement, so why not use HD Synthetic, what the maker chooses??????????? :nixweiss:

A couple bucks either way on a $10,000 engine is not going to influence me on which oil.  Simple, use the one the Warranty carrier uses?

Cowboy 2 in Oz...

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Cowboy2, Every couple years H-D puts out for bid the right to produce the oil for them, the company that meets the specs with the lowest price gets to be the supplier of oil to the Motor Co. So as in most big company's it's all about the most profit!! It's not the oil they think is the best it's the oil that MEETS the specs @ the lowest cost to them. John
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.