Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing mirrors from fairing, adding to bars  (Read 11874 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Removing mirrors from fairing, adding to bars
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »

Bike is on it's way, going to want taller bars for sure. I have ridden RG's for years, first batwing bike. what does it look like when you remove the mirrors from the fairing? Do they make covers to cover the holes? Are they painted to match the inner fairing? Pictures anybody?

thanks

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Removing mirrors from fairing, adding to bars
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »

i really don't like the looks of those holes left   i have seen plugs for them   you might be able to paint them to match.    or buy a new inner fairing :'(

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »

i really don't like the looks of those holes left   i have seen plugs for them   you might be able to paint them to match.    or buy a new inner fairing :'(

All painted to match inner fairing come "UNDRILLED" from the factory for the mirrors.  When I did the paint to match inner fairing on my 2010 Streetglide, the dealer had to drill the mirror holes.  Just order another inner fairing and don't drill the mirror holes out. I agree, the plugs look "tacky".

G

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »

The plugs are listed in the HD catalog...I think under the pullback handlebars.
However, if you like the look of fairing mirrors, consider these. I like mine a lot.

Split Vision Fairing Mount Mirrors
See even more of the world that you just passed. This exclusive design Split Vision Mirrors minimizes blind spots and provides a wide panoramic rear view of the left and right lane, and the road behind you. The mirror features a large primary panel for normal view, and a second outboard convex panel for a wider field of vision. Slightly larger than the standard-view Fairing Mount Mirrors, these split vision mirrors offer the same full range of adjustability. A direct bolt-on replacement for standard-view Fairing Mount Mirrors, the kit also includes the hardware and mounting template required for easy and accurate installation on other models.
92085-10
Fits '96-later Electra Glide®, Street Glide® and Trike models (pair). Does not fit with Chrome Fairing Mount Mirror Covers P/N 91924-09, Illuminated Chrome Mirror Covers P/N 92600-10 or Fairing Mount Mirror Covers P/N 92200001.

MSRP US $99.95

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »

Bike is on it's way, going to want taller bars for sure. I have ridden RG's for years, first batwing bike. what does it look like when you remove the mirrors from the fairing? Do they make covers to cover the holes? Are they painted to match the inner fairing? Pictures anybody?

thanks

Yaffe's got a product that's called "Bagga Chips" that are chrome accent pieces which fill the holes. They look rather cool, but PRICEY for something so small. You might wanna check those out too.

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »

Here are a couple pics of Yaffe's chips, bars & mirrors...
2011 CVO Streetglide, 124" Axtell, D&D exhaust, T-Man Cams, Baisley heads, 30T pulley & TTS tuner, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Alpine w/Hawg-Wired & Focals

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »

and the last pic...12" bars by the way...
2011 CVO Streetglide, 124" Axtell, D&D exhaust, T-Man Cams, Baisley heads, 30T pulley & TTS tuner, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Alpine w/Hawg-Wired & Focals

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

and the last pic...12" bars by the way...

Yaffe also makes them in black.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »

I went to the Harley Touring Pullbacks... 2"taller and 2" back from stock.  Traded my stock unpainted fairing to a guy with a Limited and had it painted to match.   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.165
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

Had my inner fairing painted to match bike as well....went with pull back bars and bar mounted mirrors.
Any quality paint shop should be able to fill in the hole's on inner fairing where the mirrors were.....as they did with mine....can't tell the holes were ever there.

Sawyer Ghost

jcd520

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »

Just a suggestion----------I rode handlebar mirrors on all my batwing bikes til I got this new sesg and was convinced I was going to  change them out . It ended up being one more thing I crossed off my list after riding the bike a few hundred miles. I get plenty of vision and the fairing mount mirrors make the bike look "slicker" I think . Anyway I ended up liking them better and as I stated before on some of my other mods I crossed off --------the stock ones are paid for already. You might give it a try before you spend the bucks to change them.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »

agreed, I hope to cross some things off my list without spending money also

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »

Another thought... With fairing mounted mirrors your hands will be warmer as well.

We put the fairing mounted mirrors on my wife's Ultra and removed the handlebar mirrors.  The first thing she noticed was how much warmer her hands stayed.
I thought she was crazy until I rode her bike on a cool day and I have to admit, my hands were warmer than on my bike.

The wind that comes over the fairing beside the windshield, hits the handlebar mirrors and is forced directly down on your fingers.

My suggestion is to ride your new bike for a few hundred miles before making up your mind and spending more money.  You might like them just the way they are.

Take care & ride safe.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.