Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: 09 SERG OIL TEMPS?  (Read 7336 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
Re: 09 SERG OIL TEMPS?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »

Amen Big T, Sounds like a few runnin high temps (above 145).  I ran around for a few hours last night at 70 degree's, Followed a 69 pro street Firebird runnin race gas, Pulled neck and neck to 120. Took a look and oil was 117. I'm stone stock except for Fullsac 2.25's. Still got the cat too! Don't think I have ever seen 140, but if I did I'd go faster and cool er down. Actually Water temp or engine temp is more critical than oil temp. you need a higher oil temp to be efficient enough to burn off the moisture and clearances to adjust. 220 -240 is perfect.:drink:  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:51:28 AM by Highwaystar »
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »

Amen Big T, Sounds like a few odd balls runnin high temps (above 145).  I ran around for a few hours last night at 70 degree's, Followed a 69 pro street Firebird runnin race gas, Pulled neck and neck to 120. Took a look and oil was 117. I'm stone stock except for Fullsac 2.25's. Still got the cat too! Don't think I have ever seen 140, but if I did I'd go faster and cool er down.  :drink:  

I am not in to all this oil temp competition stuff but I call BS on that one. T.
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »

Next time you see me, stick your thermo in mine and see what it says, I put the ceramic header on w/o cat, installed the Fulsac 1.75 baffles with 2 yards each side of fiberglas mat wrapped around the fulsac baffles, sandwiched between the orig HD packing and the TTS Mastertune map supplied by Fullsac. Runs stout, seems much cooler, but I am to cheap to buy a gauge.

Don

Don, will do.  Doc

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »

Vermont
completely stock SERG
76 degrees outside air
64% humidity
1 hour drive on state roads 35-50 (opening it up to 70)

230 degrees final temp
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:53 AM »

I just ordered the Jagg 10 row vertical mount kit. Will let you know if there is any temp drop.  Doc

tcb62

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »

Bike ride yesterday in 90s, oil temperature 230f when checked at gas stop.  No mods to the engine yet, only 300 miles on the bike.
TCB62

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »

Next time you see me, stick your thermo in mine and see what it says, I put the ceramic header on w/o cat, installed the Fulsac 1.75 baffles with 2 yards each side of fiberglas mat wrapped around the fulsac baffles, sandwiched between the orig HD packing and the TTS Mastertune map supplied by Fullsac. Runs stout, seems much cooler, but I am to cheap to buy a gauge.

Don
08 SERK Fulsac 1.75 (mine wrapped also), Fulsac duals, TTS with tune by Doc., 6th gear at 70 mph gave me 195 degrees at 75 outside. That's my lowest so far. It was higher in the dead of winter before the tune!
RETIRED! :fireman:

Christian

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 05:39:43 PM »

09 FLHTCUSE all stock.
Today three hours hard riding. Two stops: Oil Temp 247 highest.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »

With exception to few guys here, I am seeing the same temps at the same outside temps. But temps now in the low 90s  I am running 240s at 75mph cruise . Should have the Jagg here end of week and put it to the test.  Doc

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »

With exception to few guys here, I am seeing the same temps at the same outside temps. But temps now in the low 90s  I am running 240s at 75mph cruise . Should have the Jagg here end of week and put it to the test.  Doc

That's about where I'm at WITH THE TRAILER! Ambient Temps are a little cooler now, only bumping mid 80's. BUT, this is the 96" stock bike,  with the tune, mufflers, a/c. H-D oil cooler
With the decel richened up, and the low rpm/map in open loop, my leg does not fry as it did stock. Bike is running great!
HOGMIKE

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »

I was able to hook up the Jagg 10 row cooler useing the HD adaptor and some unqiue plumbing. Temps stayed the same as with the HD Premium cooler. so unless the Jagg filter adaptor allows more oil to go to the cooler, do not waste your money, side effect is it forces more hot air from the motor to your leg. This is with the Jagg 10 row vertical mount cooler. Unless I can find a way to make more oil flow thru the cooler, I guess I will have to live with the temps. as the majority of the oil on these 07 up bikes flows back to the tank without going thru the cooler. Lesson learned.   Doc

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »

I was able to hook up the Jagg 10 row cooler useing the HD adaptor and some unqiue plumbing. Temps stayed the same as with the HD Premium cooler. so unless the Jagg filter adaptor allows more oil to go to the cooler, do not waste your money, side effect is it forces more hot air from the motor to your leg. This is with the Jagg 10 row vertical mount cooler. Unless I can find a way to make more oil flow thru the cooler, I guess I will have to live with the temps. as the majority of the oil on these 07 up bikes flows back to the tank without going thru the cooler. Lesson learned.   Doc

I would consider the Jagg cooler to be a system and would want to use their adaptor before writing off the product.  Harley's design is very limiting, and while I don't know if the Jagg is much better I am assuming it can't be any worse.  You may also want to consider how you have your crash bar plumbed into the whole system.  I believe you said earlier it was in parallel, and if that's the case it may be robbbing flow from the cooler due to tubing size and lower restriction.  And yes, placing a radiator or oil cooler up in the actual air flow will cause hot air to flow onto the rider.  When we all get to ride the new water cooled Harley's in the near future, all the current talk about heat will be part of the "good ol' days".  I still remember way back to my first water cooled bike in 1982; when that fan kicked in while sitting at a light it could get downright toasty.

Jerry

PS.  Doc, trust me I fully understand how some things can get under your skin until you feel you just have to do something.  But I really think you're worrying and stressing too much over this oil temperature business.  The design of the engine is such that 230°F is considered normal oil operating temperature by the MoCo.  That is with the bike cruising down the road, not idling in traffic, and at standard ambient temperatures.  When you throw in those 90° and up ambients you get where you are, I can see where 240°-250° oil temps would be common.  Just keep using the best quality synthetic oil and try not to worry about it.  Just think how many folks are out there right now without a gauge and just enjoying the ride (now you know why I don't have an oil temp gauge mounted, btw).
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

PMG1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »

Always in the high 270's plus. This bike is very hot on the right side. SERT with Rinehart slips on. Stock oil bike has 400 miles. Will change to Amsoil and Redline Shockproof in trans as soon as possible. I have lowers my need to remove them. My Ultra Screamin Eagle has vents in the lowers but this one does not?

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »

09 SG, 103 stage II with fullsac baffles and Mastertune. Highest it has run is in temps between 100-107 outside at 75 mph. Stop and push dipstick button; shows oil at 266.

jb

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »

I rode in central Florida today, ambient was 97. My Buddy asked if I wanted to borrow his digital thermometer and I said "no thanks".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 22 queries.