Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: break-in  (Read 1562 times)

harleydog

break-in
« on: September 13, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »

Hey gang are the 110 engine shipped with syn oil if so why , i thought syn-oil is used after break-in .

REGGAB

Re: break-in
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »

Hey gang are the 110 engine shipped with syn oil if so why , i thought syn-oil is used after break-in .

Wives' tale.  There are some who are of the school of "If it's good enough for Willie G., it's good enough for me," and that's fine.  As long as pressurized oil is flowing, everything will be fine.

If it was my new machine, I'd get it home, get the SYN III out, and load it up with Amsoil MCV in the engine, Bel-Ray 85W in the primary, and Bel-Ray 85W140 in the transmission.  It'll break-in just fine with synthetic oil in the engine and those two fine premium petroleum based products in the primary and transmission.   :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »

harleydog, where have you been son?  Not only are the CVO engines shipped from the factory with synthetic oil, but many/most of the automobiles in the world also ship with syn as factory fill.  The old wive's tale about syn being too slippery for break-in was debunked a long time ago.  And assuming modern machining and gasket technology, syn doesn't cause your engine to leak either.  It does, however, have a much better tolerance than regular oil for high temperatures, thus the real reason H-D puts it in the mobile space heaters they call CVO's.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleydog

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »

thanx for the info

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »

harleydog, where have you been son?  Not only are the CVO engines shipped from the factory with synthetic oil, but many/most of the automobiles in the world also ship with syn as factory fill.  The old wive's tale about syn being too slippery for break-in was debunked a long time ago.  And assuming modern machining and gasket technology, syn doesn't cause your engine to leak either.  It does, however, have a much better tolerance than regular oil for high temperatures, thus the real reason H-D puts it in the mobile space heaters they call CVO's.

Jerry

Funny and good description :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.