Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The Dragon Strikes Again  (Read 8139 times)

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
The Dragon Strikes Again
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:18:57 PM »

http://www.thedailytimes.com:80/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770714003>

What a shame. It appears like driving too fast for conditions in both of these cases. For those that are riding the dragon, please be careful.

Don S

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: The Dragon Strikes Again
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »

OOPS/ Didn't work. Try this url:

http://www.thedailytimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770714003

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:04:54 PM »

Just another tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 12:43:09 AM »

Damn...........approaching a record it seems on the Dragon. Won't be long and they'll install speed bumps or other devices to slow traffic down further.
Friday’s accident followed by one day the fatal accident that involved a motorcycle rider from Michigan losing control of his bike on a curve on the Dragon and sliding to his death over an 80-foot cliff. The man killed in the motorcycle wreck at 6:52 p.m. Thursday on Calderwood Highway was identified by authorities Friday as Kevin James Hoyt, 40, Highland, Mich. According to the Tennessee Highway Patrol accident report, Hoyt was southbound on the highway when he lost control in a curve and slid down an embankment. He “low sided” his bike by applying too much braking pressure on the front wheel while taking the curve, according to Trooper Marion, who also responded to that wreck.
Hoyt then slid with the bike over the edge of the highway, down an 80-foot cliff and landed on a small ledge in a heavily wooded area off the side of the road. His black 2005 Yamaha motorcycle continued on for another 15 feet before coming to rest 95 feet below the road.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:04:50 AM »

The cops were all over the place up there the weekend after the 4th...I rode the Dragon on two different days and saw at least 6 different police/sherriff/HP cars each day.  Several people got pulled over.

Both these accidents are tragic.

The fact of the matter is they are going to end up doing something drastic in this area to curtail the activity.  Too many people, with too little experience, who are riding this section of road.  The place is becoming an amusement park.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »

The cops were all over the place up there the weekend after the 4th...I rode the Dragon on two different days and saw at least 6 different police/sherriff/HP cars each day.  Several people got pulled over.

The fact of the matter is they are going to end up doing something drastic in this area to curtail the activity.  Too many people, with too little experience, who are riding this section of road.  The place is becoming an amusement park.

Terry, it is that very thing that prevents me from riding the dragon....I have absolutely no desire to do so.
 :cherry:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 01:57:49 PM »

Terry, it is that very thing that prevents me from riding the dragon....I have absolutely no desire to do so.
 :cherry:
It is really and truly not all that big of a deal.  We have ridden on much better roads else where, although the dragon is very nice. It is not dangerous unless you do something dangerous.  You should see the roads where we are at right now.  Breathtakingingly gorgeous sceneries, lotsa nice curves, sure wish I had a running bike and could be out on them.  See you folks in a couple of weeks.   :cherry:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »

Certainly sad thoughts go out to the family.

Terry you are correct...I was there too during the 4th of July and police were all over the place.

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »

That picture made me cringe.  Any traffic accident deaths are tragic, but the picture of that Trike on its side amongst all the devastation and death was particularly horrifying to me.  I hope that we can all take at least some small lesson from this -- ride within our limits.  Our prayers go out to all of those involved.

Ride Safe.
Walt

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 02:03:08 PM »

Indeed, both are tragic accidents.  Regardless of experience, too many are riding well beyond their riding abilities and pushing the limits a bit more each and every time!  Every freakin' motorcycle show these days is publicizing the Dragon.  The entire region is chock full of amazing roads!  There are so many much less travelled roads with far better overall "Fun" factor!  I agree completely that law enforcement will have to resort to drastic measures in order to curtail if not end these senseless deaths.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »

Im gonna let the cat out of the bag. There is another great road here besides the Dragon the tourist have not found yet.    http://www.tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html :2vrolijk_21: Its a good`n !

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »

Im gonna let the cat out of the bag. There is another great road here besides the Dragon the tourist have not found yet.    http://www.tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html :2vrolijk_21: Its a good`n !

Now you let me know about this. I was just down there last week. Oh well, now I've got to go back again. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 09:41:09 PM »

Dave,

This was supposed to be our secret...Been there and it's better if nothing else because of traffic and availability.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »

Now you let me know about this. I was just down there last week. Oh well, now I've got to go back again. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Yea , come on back Firwood.
  There is plenty of good riding weather year round.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 09:44:05 PM »

Now you let me know about this. I was just down there last week. Oh well, now I've got to go back again.

What better time to go back then the Knoxville HOG Rally?  Will we see you there?

8)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.