Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very Sad Story  (Read 2723 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Very Sad Story
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »

I passed this wreck yesterday and the FLH was on it's side and missing the front forks and wheel. I knew it was bad and hoped the rider/s were ok. Sounds like the bimbo driver in her cage was not paying attention and was possibly impaired. I hope the little girl pulls through.
I just recently started giving my 8 year old daughter short rides on my machine after we bought her a nice helmet but I think those days are over. This just hits too close to home

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110828/news/708289824/

---
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Very Sad Story
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:21:31 AM »

I passed this wreck yesterday and the FLH was on it's side and missing the front forks and wheel. I knew it was bad and hoped the rider/s were ok. Sounds like the bimbo driver in her cage was not paying attention and was possibly impaired. I hope the little girl pulls through.
I just recently started giving my 8 year old daughter short rides on my machine after we bought her a nice helmet but I think those days are over. This just hits too close to home

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110828/news/708289824/

---
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About 50 miles from me....  Very sad situation...   :(

Condolences to the family.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »

Condolences to the family
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »

Hope she pulls through. Makes me very sad whenever I read a story like this.

I almost got taken out last summer, going north on GA 400 at Hwy 53 to Dawsonville. I was passing a Tahoe on the left (he was in the RIGHT lane), coming up to the green light, going about 50, about 5 FEET behind him  and closing - when the MORON suddenly decides he needs to make a LEFT turn and jerks over into and across my lane into the left turn lane without warning or signaling. I hit the brakes HARD and pulled to the left, coming within a foot of his bumper. I laid on my 128-decibel Mini-Beast air horn after I had slowed enough to avoid hitting him, and flipped him off as I passed. I thought my bell was tolling that day... but I made it through somehow. Another 2 feet forward and I would have gone down. My wife was riding behind me and saw the whole thing. I was pretty shaken up, but we continued on our way. I guess most of us who have been riding for any length of time have a scary story or two like this...

My deepest condolences to the family.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »

So young.....so sad!! I have a 10 yr old Grandaughter who doesn't understand why I won't let her ride with me. She says I'm mean.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »

REally sucks! Hard not to get angry when you read stories like these.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »

Yea and it really makes me angry to read some of the ignorant cycle bashing readers comments. Total B.S.  Since I'm an LEO in that area I can unofficially say that the woman driving the cage was impaired by drugs and / or alcohol. Hope it was worth it lady !

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »

Yea and it really makes me angry to read some of the ignorant cycle bashing readers comments. Total B.S.  Since I'm an LEO in that area I can unofficially say that the woman driving the cage was impaired by drugs and / or alcohol. Hope it was worth it lady !

Now THAT really blows... GD careless drunk drivers REALLY PISS ME OFF!

Thanks for your work, Officer, trying to keep us safe from irresponsible cretins like this...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »

That just sucks! 
My 12 year old has just started riding with me and it is a blast. 
This concern goes through my head every time I start the bike with her.
I can't say I don't ride on Friday and Saturday night but I do try and avoid it.  Stats say 1 in every 3 cars is a drunk driver.

Unbelievably sad. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »

My niece has been riding with me for almost as long as she's been alive.  Not on the street of course. 

She's eight and we do ride on the street now.  Have regularly since she was in her last year of pre-school.  Was only short hops in town for quite awhile.  Now it's regularly 30-50 mile rides.  But there are things I won't do, areas I avoid and times I won't ride when she is with me.

Another thing that I won't do is ride with her without the intercom.  Both lids are Nolan with the NCom modules.  She's grown up used to the intercoms and I've become totally dependent on hearing her chatter as reinforcement that she's not dozing off and is just generally comfortable.  In fact I get tense when the batteries go dead (happened a couple times when we didn't get something charged up as we should have).

She's a great passenger and truly enjoys it.  She's my favorite BSR too.  But it is a different and even more cautious than normal ride when she's with me.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »

Hope she gets what she deserves for what she did. If she was impaired she needs to rot in jail for a long time. Condolences to the family.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 07:13:57 AM »

I'm from that part of northern Illinois.  I rode a Honda there back in those days, fortunately without incident.

If I lived around there today, I might question whether it was wise to ride.  The number of people driving drunk in that region - I mean "blotto" drunk - scares me.  I know drunk driving is common everywhere, but knowing the local habits and attitudes towards spending hours and hours in a tavern, then weaving home, is truly frightening to me.  I just spent a night in the area on the way back to NJ from Sturgis, and I booked a hotel less than one mile from the pizza joint we went to so I could minimize the late-night exposure while on the roads there.

Back to this tragic incident - read the horrible, insensitive comments of readers on that site.  The father is blamed for having a 9 year old as his passenger.  The father is blamed for his own death because he was not wearing a helmet.  Motorcyclists in general are blamed for not being on a safe vehicle (in any circumstances).  And so on.  Reminds me why I left 20 years ago.

There was one comment I will copy/paste here who tried to set the record straight.  Apparently a friend of the rider/victim:

For those of you who continue to blame the father for having child on a motorcycle with him and don't know the facts. Here you go. Justin McBride was a wonderful father to Maddy. He stepped up to raise her because her mother didn't. He was the most loving, caring single father you could meet. Maddy was his life. Maddy had a helmet on. He never took her anywhere without her helmet. The driver of the car was negligent and turned in front of them. Maddy is now in critical condition and continues to ask for her daddy whenever she is awake. She suffered a fractured skull, brain bleeding and swelling, a bruised heart, spinal injuries.
I'm sick of hearing your inconsiderate comments about a dead father, blaming him for this. He's dead. Show some respect.
And now you have your facts. If you have nothing nice to say about the father who is no longer with us, keep your comments to yourself.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »

I have not and will not read the dumb azz comments from motorcycle haters.

I will however put here that I suspect everyone of them who comments negative about the young girl being on a motorcycle as being wrong have had their own child on a pedal bike.

So I would ask if this impaired driver had hit a child on a pedal bike is that somehow different?

I would bet most, if not all of the critics watch their kids ride out the driveway crossing streets on their own pedal bikes and would have a different opinion of responsibility of drivers in cars in that scenario. 

In talking to a fellow Dad we were discussing the teaching of our 15 year olds to drive.  We both at every opportunity say to them "I know you looked both ways for cars...But did you look for motorcycles, bicyclists, and people walking"???

It is our responsibility to teach!  This Dad was teaching his daughter to not fear life but to live it! 

It is just to bad the car driver's parents did not teach her to respect life!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »

This is very sad! I have several grandkids and they ask for a ride on Poppys motorcycle. They are too small to ride right now but keep seeing wrecks like this and I am not sure if I will ever bear that responsibility. My heart and prayers go out to the family!

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.