Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Reflectors .................  (Read 4564 times)

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
Re: Reflectors .................
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 06:11:53 PM »

Duane, Born and raised in Delaware, I have two bikes (a heritage springer since 03  and multiple roadglides over the years) that are due for inspection this year, I removed the reflectors off of them when new. I removed the OEM tape off of the reflectors and cut small pieces of 3M trim tape (2 pieces per reflector) and reinstall them on the forks and on the bags of the roadglide and on the side of the rear fender on the springer before I leave to have them inspected, I also use two of the small round reflectors that attach with wing nuts on the license plate holes. I have been doing this for years and have had no problems with the personnel at the inspection lanes. With the small amounts of tape on the reflectors it is easy to remove them when I return home and you can either reattach the the red backing film on the tape or remove the small pieces from the reflectors and redo it again two years down the road.
FYI the NewCastle DMV facility has drive up windows that can be utilized for payment and new registration paper work rather dealing with the wait inside. Note the drive up window (there are no windows just speaker boxes and the vacuum tubes) and they are located maybe 50 yds from the exit of the inspection lanes  extending out from the rear of the main building.
Good Luck, it's a pain but you have to do it.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

lived in De 20years ago inspection were the worst pa alot better if you know where to go

PA - you have to pay for a private inspection AFAIK

Do you have to go back to the same shop for the re-inspection?  Long time back when I had to get inspections in another state some shops were basically bandits, others were sticklers for 100% correct whatever, & others were - If it runs, pass it.

Not a shop, one of 3 state run drive throughs. No fee.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »

Duane, Born and raised in Delaware, I have two bikes (a heritage springer since 03  and multiple roadglides over the years) that are due for inspection this year, I removed the reflectors off of them when new. I removed the OEM tape off of the reflectors and cut small pieces of 3M trim tape (2 pieces per reflector) and reinstall them on the forks and on the bags of the roadglide and on the side of the rear fender on the springer before I leave to have them inspected, I also use two of the small round reflectors that attach with wing nuts on the license plate holes. I have been doing this for years and have had no problems with the personnel at the inspection lanes. With the small amounts of tape on the reflectors it is easy to remove them when I return home and you can either reattach the the red backing film on the tape or remove the small pieces from the reflectors and redo it again two years down the road.
FYI the NewCastle DMV facility has drive up windows that can be utilized for payment and new registration paper work rather dealing with the wait inside. Note the drive up window (there are no windows just speaker boxes and the vacuum tubes) and they are located maybe 50 yds from the exit of the inspection lanes  extending out from the rear of the main building.
Good Luck, it's a pain but you have to do it.

Sussex has the drive up window as well. Not sure if out of state transfers can be done there.
So, I'm not sure if I have to even go back, I didn't with the truck since it was an "advisory". When I register it next week I'll find out.

If I do I'll buy the $12 reflectors Gary linked too. And maybe look for the button reflectors you mention. Although if I search long enough I may find the under rack reflector. I'm sure if I took it off it is sitting in a box somewhere.

MV 2013

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »

Sorry about your predicament but it sounds like an easy fix.  Your post did give me some perspective though, so I’m done b!tching about the sh!tty roads in Alabama...at least we don’t have to have our vehicles inspected (yet) only inspection required is when you buy a vehicle from out of state, they just make sure the VIN on the paperwork matches the VIN on the vehicle.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 10:41:47 PM »

I would buy reflectors and temp install them and take them off after insp.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:57 AM »

If reflectors in pic will serve your needs give me address and they'll be on the way.

Wut the hell was that maneuver

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »

Well, TN beat me to it as I am about a month or so late.  This all reminds me of back in the day when we would attach dental mirrors to the handlebars of our choppers to pass the rearview mirror requirements for NC annual inspections.  :huepfenlol2: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »

If reflectors in pic will serve your needs give me address and they'll be on the way.

Thanks Phil.

Just realized I never updated this.

Turns out Delaware DMV wouldn't take my word for it so I had to go back with the bike.

Got the eBay reflectors Gary linked to, about $10. Only used about a 1/2" off each end of the 3M tape so I could put them back on in two years.

I did find my original reflector and bracket (and the two tiny screws) that mounts under the rack over the plate - so good to go.
Back to DMV.

2 hours in DMV transferring, registering etc and I'm good for two years. Ordered my DE courtesy plate at the same time.

Found out when leaving DMV that my 6 year old battery decided today was the day. Wouldn't start without using the CR's.

Got the courtesy plate last month - $74 for cheap stuff. Just a decal over an aluminum plate.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.