Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to disable the alarm?  (Read 2239 times)

toddhd

How to disable the alarm?
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »

Hi folks - New member here, post #1, so please forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong place, and so on...

I purchased a 2008 CVO Springer about a year ago from a dealer in VA (I was on vacation. It was an unplanned purchase, but that's how these things happen sometimes. I live in California).

Love it to death.

I decided to add some additional lighting, so I purchased my parts, and today I finally got around to trying to get it installed. Step 1 is to get the switch wired up to the positive/negative posts on the battery.

I loosened the bolt on the negative wire, and when I touched it with the new lighting wire... ALARM  ALARM ALARM went off! (Nearly shat myself). Luckily, I had my key in my pocket and was able to turn the alarm off by putting the key in the ignition and turning the ignition on.

Now I'm not sure what to do. The fob I have has no button to turn the alarm on/off, and from what I've read so far, that's the way it's done now. I read that there is some sort of "pin code" that can be entered via the turn signals, but I don't know what that is, or how to do it. I do NOT have the original owners manual.

I thought that having the FOB on me would simply disarm the alarm and allow me to work on the bike, but I guess not.

Is there an EASY way to disarm this long enough to get some electrical work done? Seems like there should be.

Or do I need to haul this thing down to a dealership just to get my pin reset?

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: How to disable the alarm?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »

The pin code using the turn signals is if you do not have a fob present or the battery in it dies.Most are preset by the dealer to a simple code,both my local dealers use 11111 or 55555.If the battery is good in the fob that is all you should need to disarm the system.You can also put the alarm in a transport mode.You need to make a call to the dealer and get an owners manual,there are several pages of info on it.I don't know if there is any special procedure to unhook the battery as I haven't had to do that with the newer passive alarm.
T-MAN 117 kit

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

Try turning the ignition to on and then pull the main fuse.   That should disable the alarm so that you can install your lighting.  If you have an Android phone, from the Play Store, download the "V Twin Reference" application.  It has the pin procedures that you may need.   Hope this helps.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »

greg is absolutely correct on the procedure for removing the fuse.  that'll get your lights installed.

but, you need to address the other issue of getting your pin and learning how to manually override your alarm.  you may need it in a pinch.

first, in order to retrieve your existing pin code, do the following:

with a working fob present (if the battery in the fob is old/weak, change it), turn your ignition on-off-on-off-on
press the left turn signal button 3 times
press the right turn signal button 2 times

your existing pin will show in the odometer with the first digit flashing.  if you wish to change it to another number, use the left turn signal to cycle the numbers, then the right turn signal to enter.  zero is not a valid number....

now that you have a good code stored, to manually input it, without a fob present, turn your ignition on, then press both left and right turn signals at the same time.  that should put you in code entry mode.  again, cycle with the left, and enter with the right.  once you have entered all 5 numbers, you'll be able to start the bike.  you will have to do this every time you start your bike (as long as you don't have the fob), its not a one time deal.

with a little practice, you'll be able to manually input your code in about 15 seconds.

the best reason for knowing how to do this is that someday, you'll find yourself parked in an area where there is rf interference and your bike won't start.  instead of pushing your bike all around the parking lot looking for that spot that doesn't have interference, you can just input your code and rock on.  not quite as bad with a softail, but pushing an 850 lb touring bike around the parking lot sucks!

now this procedure is all from my touring bike manual, i'm assuming that the alarm on the other models works the same......

if you'd like to have a quick reference for the owner's manual, go to h-d.com/owners/maintain your ride and you'll be able to create an account where you can load the owner's manuals
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.