Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New gaskets/no leak, now rattles??  (Read 2385 times)

Lennyiti

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
New gaskets/no leak, now rattles??
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »

Well I got the new head gaskets in it but now the engine makes an awful sound once it gets warm. Picked it up from dealer after getting new head gaskets and new valve seats. Rode about 2 miles and fulled up with mid grade gas since high test wasn't working. Rode about 10 miles and engine started to rattle very loud. Limped it home and drained out gas and filled it with 108 octane gas from race car. Took it for test ride and no noise until 3 miles. Called dealer they said bring it back. The motor is quite when first start up then when taking back to dealer it was making more noise than the pythons at 3000rpms for 15 miles. Right before get to dealer stop at 2 red lights and the darn thing quites making noise and sounds fine. Left it at dealer for them to road test today to see if it does it for them. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and could it have been just from the gas? I first thought the gas would fix it but it still made noise well after I had the good stuff in it. Then I thought the lifters were too lose when hot but that would not come and go. I hope to hear something today from dealer. I'll post the info as I get it.
LL

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: New gaskets/no leak, now rattles??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »

Well I got the new head gaskets in it but now the engine makes an awful sound once it gets warm. Picked it up from dealer after getting new head gaskets and new valve seats. Rode about 2 miles and fulled up with mid grade gas since high test wasn't working. Rode about 10 miles and engine started to rattle very loud. Limped it home and drained out gas and filled it with 108 octane gas from race car. Took it for test ride and no noise until 3 miles. Called dealer they said bring it back. The motor is quite when first start up then when taking back to dealer it was making more noise than the pythons at 3000rpms for 15 miles. Right before get to dealer stop at 2 red lights and the darn thing quites making noise and sounds fine. Left it at dealer for them to road test today to see if it does it for them. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and could it have been just from the gas? I first thought the gas would fix it but it still made noise well after I had the good stuff in it. Then I thought the lifters were too lose when hot but that would not come and go. I hope to hear something today from dealer. I'll post the info as I get it.
LL

Still sounds like it's the the lifters LL. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »

I hate to ask a silly question? But did you check the oil?

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »

LL

LL,

Did you actually mean valve "seats", or valve "seals"?  Valve seals would indicate an oil consumption issue and probable heavy carbon buildup.  If the tech didn't remove the carbon from the combustion chamber & piston, you could have a preignition issue due to carbon hot spots.  This would show up only after getting up to temperature, and could also disappear by itself if the carbon deposit finally broke free and went out the exhaust.  Just one possibility. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lennyiti

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »

Did check the oil and it was ok. They did replace the valve seats. Dealer just called and said relacing front lifter.

Page created in 1.155 seconds with 24 queries.