Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Ride on the 2018 CVO Limited  (Read 2719 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
My First Ride on the 2018 CVO Limited
« on: May 07, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »

Well this may be late in the season for most but I finally was able to combine a nice day with time away from my business and get out for my first ride on my new FLHTKSE-ANV. Seriously, the thing has been in my garage for 2 months and I finally got it on the road! (I'm so ashamed :nixweiss:)

So here it is. My 2 cents on what will likely be the highest “cost per pound” ride I will ever own. So far… No regrets what-so-ever!

First Impressions
Comparing everything to my previous ride (which I loved) my 2010 CVO Street Glide, this bike, while heavier, feels like it has a lower center. The weight is not as noticeable as I had been thinking it would be – not sure why, but I was prepared for it to feel top heavy. No so.

The seating position seems lower to the ground and maybe a bit forward of what I'm used to. I'm 6’1” and still found it comfortable enough. I'm going to have to do something with the highway pegs to allow me to slide my feet forward a bit on longer rides, but overall – very comfy!

Not sure if it's just me but I did find that when at a stop (stop light for example) and just inching forward and rolling back that I notice the passenger floor boards hit the back of my calves. I'll have to get used to that lack of travel with one or both legs down. I've had other bikes with rear boards, not sure why this is so noticeable for me on this one.

Suspension
Without a doubt, the most supple ride I have ever had on a Harley. Maybe it's the tire wheel combo or maybe the suspension itself – but I tell you, compared to the street glide, this thing soaks up the road like a Lincoln Limo! (Oh by the way, my darling young bride commented on the ride from her perch as well)

So as I approach some familiar twisty roads on my ride, I'm figuring I might have my hands full with this big yacht. Well I was pleasantly surprised! This thing loves the curves. She's as nimble as a ninja warrior! Now I'm not talking about Moto GP stuff, but for a big touring bike, riding 2 up on two lane back roads, it took a very light touch to transfer enough weight and make this thing go where you want it to. Impressive!

Engine
Responsive and snappy. Passing cars in 5th... no problem. This bike gathers momentum really quickly. Feels torquey and cruises at 75mph comfortably. Everything you'd want from a touring bike. I'm not sure if the new Fullsac system has had any affect in this regard or not. I hadn't ridden it beforehand.

The 117 engine itself is very quiet compare to the constant “ticking” that came from between my legs on the 110. Very happy to see the M8 has some refinements in this regard. While the tone of the Fullsac exhaust system is pleasing, it is much quieter than I imagined it might be. In hindsight I might have considered the 2 1/2“ Fullsac cores. I wanted a quieter ride this time, but I may have over shot that goal with the 2” cores. Live and learn.

Brakes and Clutch
I hopped on and rode away like I had been there before. The clutch seemed to have a lighter pull that the 2010 FLHXSE. Smooth shifts up and down, no tranny clunking  - all very nice! The brakes are quite grabby but it's likely because of the fact that the bike is new. I had no cause to really put them to a real test but they feel like they will do the job quite nicely!

6.5 Boom Audio Stage 1
In one word - LAME– better than stock? Probably, but not by much. At any kind of volume, the speakers bottom out, the tone is tinny and has no punch at all. I had spent quite a bit of money on audio equipment (Hawg-Wired amps and speakers plus lid speakers and dash tweeters etc) on my 2010 CVO Street glide and always though IT could be better – but OMG was I wrong. That system blew this away! I'm definitely going to have to research upgrades to this system! (Suggestions?)

As for the hand controls for the new radios, it's going to take me some time I suppose – it's all new to me and I do not find the system very intuitive. Maybe I'm just so used to the old HK radio controls.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:53:03 PM by hdnik »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: My First Ride on the 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:58 PM »

You must be one busy dude to have a new cvo in the garage for 2 months and not ride it!
Well this may be late in the season for most but I finally was able to combine a nice day with time away from my business and get out for my first ride on my new FLHTKSE-ANV. Seriously, the thing has been in my garage for 2 months and I finally got it on the road! (I'm so ashamed :nixweiss:)
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »

I know eh?
Winter in southern Ontario just would not go away this year! We opened our cottage on April 28th in 0 degree weather with a touch of snow on the 29th.

We had a few days earlier in April where the weather was nice but of course I was working. Street sweepers were out and everything... Then a freak ice storm  :soapbox:

Global warming my ass!... oh yeah its call "climate change" now
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

DavidG_TKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSEANV #631
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon/Slate (Traded)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »

Not sure if it's just me but I did find that when at a stop (stop light for example) and just inching forward and rolling back that I notice the passenger floor boards hit the back of my calves. I'll have to get used to that lack of travel with one or both legs down. I've had other bikes with rear boards, not sure why this is so noticeable for me on this one.

You might try swapping the passenger boards to opposite sides, L->R, R->L, allows different adjustment to give more room.

David

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »

Glad you finally got your bike out. I have almost 250 miles on mine!
Surprised that your clutch has an easy pull. Mine takes a very manly pull and everything happens in the first inch! I would really like to find a good way to reduce the required clutch pull on my bike.

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:14:50 PM »

You might try swapping the passenger boards to opposite sides, L->R, R->L, allows different adjustment to give more room.

David

You beat me to it, David.  First thing I did before taking the '15 on a test ride.  If it had not worked in allowing for me to put my feet down with some room, the '15 would'a been in somebody else's garage.  This makes a WORLD of difference and the rear boards work just as well swapped.

Nick, glad you enjoyed your new bike and thanks for the review....always helpful to those looking at trading the old for new....

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »

Well here one for the record books... first ride all good except....

Went out in the garage this morning and noticed a puddle of pale red almost salmon coloured fluid under the front of the bike.

Emailed the dealer with pics and before noon they were here from 2 hours away with the Sprinter Raised Roof bike recovery unit.

Haven’t heard what it was yet but like I say... it’s not the problem so much as how they deal with the problem
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:26:55 PM »

Sounds like a coolant leak.  Hope is just a loose hose or clamp.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:54:48 AM »

It's sounds like the coolant cap is defective happen to a friend of mine !!!
DND

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

It's sounds like the coolant cap is defective happen to a friend of mine !!!
Yes, this what it turned out to be
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

sail

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Black Garnet/Electric Red Pearl w/ Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »

Glad it's fixed!

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 25 queries.