CVO Social > Rider Down

Break down of event

(1/7) > >>

ak:
Thanks to all for well wishes and condolances.  I'm fine, little sore, dislocated finger snaped back  no problem.   The young man that died  didn't have the seat time splitting traffic and should not have been expected to run with more experienced riders. He was wearing novelity helmet backwards...don't think a dot would have made much difference with this accident.

As JC mentioned I had to retire my novelity helmet witch I used alot.  On multi state rides I also would bring my full face for cold wheather or long hours on bike to reduce fatigue factor.On saturday I wore the full face cause of the cold (glad for that) I was last bike in pack because I wanted to get used to riding with full face (I"m used to seeing more to the left and right)
 and made my mind up that I wasn't going to split traffic at 90 on this ride, knew where everyone was headed so why push.  

For whatever reason 3 of us did realize that the car on the freeway were completely stoped I went from 75 to 0 in about 1/2 a block hard breakes front, rear 125ft skid mark, upright everything fine no panic going for soft shoulder to left of fast lane someone else zeroed in on same spot figured out he was going to stop before i could so i force the bike sideways for a while a when I got within 10 feet of him grabed the front break to put her down, let the bike go out from underneath me.  Landed on right hip and shoulder back of helmit hit  asphalt. Crash bar worked great the seeg handled great all the way down. Damage inner/outer faring ,front fender,right glove box and lower,right bag gone,both floor boards.  Frame,forks,motor,are fine. I feel this site is my second home and enjoy each and everone of you,

Thanks-AK

P/S  I,m on my spare till the seeg gets fixed let's ride.

Twolanerider:
Just glad to know you're ok.  Thanks for the heads up Andy.

ak:
I don,t take lightly about my friend and his son not ready to go into to much detail there. I can say he didn,t have an exit strategy and ran out of time to come up with one.-AK

GC_Super:
AK, certainly glad you'r going to be OK.  Bikes can be fixed or sold. Sounds like your experience was a big factor in your ability to avoid a worse situation. We can all learn from others mistakes. I crashed over 25 years ago, and I'll never forget how hard my head hit the pavement. The fact that I was wearing a helmet I'm sure saved me from serious injury. To this day, I always keep my head covered, just something I am used to and plan to keep it that way. My condolences for your friend and his family. Must be especially tough to go through something like that. Best of luck.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Later, Robert

MYCVO:
AK,
Never a good thing to hear about a rider going down. But, when it does happen and riding experience plays into the downing, more often the results are a much better turn out, Thank god!
 It's sucks to hear of the young guy that didn’t make it. I wont debate the helmet issue, I believe that his lack of experience would be the largest factor that he's not here now. And it's a shame.My sympathies go out to his family and friends and all concerned
 We spend a great deal of time, and money, and whatever else on these machines that we think are such a big part of our lives. ( just a machine) Fix it, don't fix it, replace it, or don't. It's just a machine, we make it more than it is.
Big thing is you came through!! cause you S.E.E. (Saw what’s coming. Evaluated the situation, and Executed the maneuvers)
Glad to hear that your up and riding and getting the SEEG repaired to roll again. You did good.
MYCVO    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version