Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tire cupping  (Read 4976 times)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: Tire cupping
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »

Even though you think you keep your air pressure correct, have you ever checked you tire pressure gauge to see if it is correct?

I was having the same problem on my 06 running Metzlers.  I was only getting 6k miles out of the rear and cupping.  When I had the tire before last changed I was talking to the guy at the tire shop (not HD)and he asked me the question about my tire pressure gauge, he said there was no question in his mind I was running under inflated.

When he finished the tire he showed me with 3 didgital gauges that he checks against a pressure calibrator that the new tire was set  39.8 to 40.2, depending which gauge he used.  So call it 40.  I went directly to the auto parts & bought 2 new digital gauges, different brands & checked the tire right there.  One read 38.8 the other read 40.  I went in & returned the 38.8, got another and it read 39.7 close enough.

When I got home I checked the tire, it had been in the back of my SUV all afternoon in Phoenix, HOT, and it now read 41.  I checked it with my gauge I had been using for the last several years, a $40 analog gauge, and it read 35lbs.

So the tire guy was right, I religiously cheked my tires and set them to 35lbs because of the gauge.

The lat Metzler i took off went 7200 mlies with no cupping, I could have gotten another 1k out of it because it wasn't quite at the wear bars but we were leaving on a trip.

So tire gauge, tire gauge, tire gauge   :nixweiss:
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »

So if its suspension on the front, dumb question, but whats the cure? Rebuild the forks and suspension?

Replace the internals with something superior.  A cartridge system is best.  Depending on how much you want to spend, the choices are:  Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 (most expensive); Progressive Monotubes; HD "Touring Cartridges".  Probably the best bang for the buck is the Progressives.  If you want the very best there is, then the AK-20's have no equal.  For rear shocks, there are several good choices, depending on your needs:  Bitubo; Works; Suspension Technology; Progressive; Ohlin.

You will be AMAZED at the difference.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »

I had the AK-20 setup installed in 09 and have sent them to Traxxion every 20,000 miles.  The rear has it's second set of Bitubo's, I prefer the 13".  I have had my air gauge checked at 3 different tire dealers & it's right on.  I check my tire pressure weekly.  I also have the True-Track installed when I put the Baker pan on. Pretty much everything was done in the winter of 09.  The swingarm bushings and one motor mount was recently replaced.  I believe I have done everything that I can on my end but I can't be certain of the balancing job done at dealerships.  I tried the Dyna Beads as well as the weights.  Should I be looking at some kind of alignment adjustment? The bike use to corner like a sports bike but with the cupped tire it rides hard plus I get a little rear end wobble when accelerating out of a corner.  In my case I believe the Dunlops are a POS tire and the dealerships lack the knowledge of properly balancing a tire.  I protested the last rear tire because it had 5 weight installed on it, it started to cup @ 3,000.  I will try anything at this point! 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

I had the AK-20 setup installed in 09 and have sent them to Traxxion every 20,000 miles.  The rear has it's second set of Bitubo's, I prefer the 13".  I have had my air gauge checked at 3 different tire dealers & it's right on.  I check my tire pressure weekly.  I also have the True-Track installed when I put the Baker pan on. Pretty much everything was done in the winter of 09.  The swingarm bushings and one motor mount was recently replaced.  I believe I have done everything that I can on my end but I can't be certain of the balancing job done at dealerships.  I tried the Dyna Beads as well as the weights.  Should I be looking at some kind of alignment adjustment? The bike use to corner like a sports bike but with the cupped tire it rides hard plus I get a little rear end wobble when accelerating out of a corner.  In my case I believe the Dunlops are a POS tire and the dealerships lack the knowledge of properly balancing a tire.  I protested the last rear tire because it had 5 weight installed on it, it started to cup @ 3,000.  I will try anything at this point! 

Well, in this case it definitely ain't your suspension.  Perhaps you do have an alignment issue.  I've never had a reason to check that on either of my CVO bikes, but there are folks here who have done so and can perhaps provide the information to do it right.  Don (Twolane) would know, I'm sure, and I seem to recall Brian (Hogasm) doing this to one or more of his bikes.  Maybe one of them will chime in...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »

Thanks for the info Midnight Rider, I sold my first set of used Bitubo's to Don about a 18 months ago or so.  The older set I sold Don actually rode better than the new replacements.  This winter I plan to contact a few experts that sell swingarm kits, True Track is the only company I have contaced so far.  In the mean time I plan to locate a few tire companies that make the sizes I need and will also look for a shop that can do a decent job of balancing tires.  I know I ride hard but with a spine condition I have looked at every suspension option for a better ride.  There is always a solution sometimes you just have to work a little harder at it.

Open to any other ideas.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.