Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Lowered cvo's  (Read 3349 times)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Re: Lowered cvo's
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »

Cool. Thanks for the info

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

I don't know if there is any difference between Legends and Arnott shocks but I do know there is a difference in the compressors. The Legend compressor is verrrrry slooooow up and down where the Arnott compressor is up and down way faster. If you drop them at a light it seems way to slow to get them back where you need them with the Legends but not so with the Arnotts. And if anyone is interested you can buy Arnott's compressor for about $100 bucks.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »

I don't know if there is any difference between Legends and Arnott shocks but I do know there is a difference in the compressors. The Legend compressor is verrrrry slooooow up and down where the Arnott compressor is up and down way faster. If you drop them at a light it seems way to slow to get them back where you need them with the Legends but not so with the Arnotts. And if anyone is interested you can buy Arnott's compressor for about $100 bucks.

I think this is the rout I'm going to go. Thanks

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »

What I finally settled with was a set of Burly shackles that lowered the rear of the bike about 1 1/2 inches.  I was able to use the OEM shocks, which kept the same amount of travel in the rear suspension.  Much cheaper than the Arnott stuff and much easier to install  ;)
This is what I'm thinking of doing. Any change in ride quality or clearance?
2020 CVO Limited

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

I spent over $800 lowering my 08 SEUC with an Arnott Air Ride system.  It was wasted $$$.  The bike looked cool in the parking lot, but rode like crap.  After suffering with the Arnott system for over a year, I pulled it off and put the OEM shocks back on.

There may be some air ride systems that are better than the Arnott, but I will not spent the $$$ to try it again.

What I finally settled with was a set of Burly shackles that lowered the rear of the bike about 1 1/2 inches.  I was able to use the OEM shocks, which kept the same amount of travel in the rear suspension.  Much cheaper than the Arnott stuff and much easier to install  ;)

BTW, I have a set of slightly used rear Arnott shocks with compressor, and controls in the original box with instructions for a 2008 SEUC.... for cheap, if anyone is interested.

sent PM Troy

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

I don't think lowering the bike has anything to do with age of the rider, but more to do with form over function.  If all you do is bar hop on your bagger, then lowering a bike that is already 1" lower in the rear an additional inch or more might work out, but if you actually use the bike for it's intended purpose...touring...it is not a good idea for a number of reasons.  One, you are giving up a LOT of travel for the shock.  Two, there can be clearance issues with the rear fender and tire.  Three, instead of scraping floorboards (which give a little) you'll scrape floorboard brackets (which don't), and can lever the rear tire off the ground in a turn...not a good thing.

With shocks like the Arnott's (I have no experience with them) or the Legends (I've had two bikes with Legends) you get the best of all worlds.  However, it is ill-advised to ride with them lowered all the way down...believe me, you won't want to do so, unless you like hardtail frames.  With my Legends, if I'm riding where I am going to have to put my feet down a lot for stops, I'll just pump them up 1 to 1.5" (mine are full height, which is a 13" shock from eye to eye, and have a total of 3.25" of travel), which allows me decent footing for stops, but does not compromise the ride quality on normal road surfaces.  The only time they are all the way down is when I'm parked and need to walk the bike backward/forward.  With a 29" inseam, I have to do something to get better footing, particularly when parked.  It doesn't matter if you're 6'10", once these bikes get over to a certain point, you can't hold them up.  Rooster is correct with is comment about the Legend compressor...it is slower to pump the shocks up, but that's not an issue for me, or hasn't been.

BTW...NO bike should sag 2" under load.  If it does, the shocks are not properly adjusted for preload.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »

1) Where can you get this compressor for $100?
2)can you also get the raising and lowering solenoid, guage, hoses and wiring without getting the whole package?
3)Can that set-up be made to work with OEM shocks?

All I want is the ability to adjust for single rider or 2-up riding and adjust to road conditions on the fly without pulling over and getting out the hand pump while still remaining economical. Any suggestions?

Doug
MNTransplant
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 25 queries.